Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 07:42 PM   #1
Explit Player
IG @Brian_ _Self

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6+17'Tesla Model S
How do I convince mom to let me drag race

Ok, so streetfights are going on at Bristol Motor Speedway's drag strip. Well ive been every week this year and for some reason, my mom is HARD set on not letting me take the car down there. I have been driving it for a year now (not every day, just as a sunday type car) and I have never gotten a ticket for anything, but she insists on telling me that as soon as I touch the strip, the Car is going to explode somehow. How do I show her that I can drive a car on the dragway responisbly. I told her I wasnt going to burn it out or run it insanely hard. I just want to feel what its like going down the lane..what would you guys tell her?
Old 04-20-2014, 07:50 PM   #2
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
How do I convince mom to let me drag race

Pay for your own car, end of story! And if you are paying for your own car and insurance then really she has nothing to say.

Sent from my AGM, 2SS/RS
Old 04-20-2014, 07:56 PM   #3
Explit Player
IG @Brian_ _Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
Pay for your own car, end of story! And if you are paying for your own car and insurance then really she has nothing to say.

Sent from my AGM, 2SS/RS
Thats just not what im looking for and I would think you would know it. Parents buy their kids cars all the time. Im not saying im abusing the car, because its my most loved possesion. But I just want to see what the car and I can do together is what im getting at. So let me rephrase. "Whats a POSSIBLE way to get my mother to let me drive it on the track?"

(No offence here though)
Old 04-20-2014, 08:07 PM   #4
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
One thing that is not clear is who's car is it?

If it's yours and you paid for it and pay the insurance and maintenance then do as you like with the car and live with the consequences. If in fact it is your Mom's car then it's a non-discussion and you need to get your own wheels.
Regardless of your intent when you are racing sometimes things happen and if in fact it is hers and it happens to drop a valve or anything while you are at the track the warranty is null and void and you may have to pay to fix it. If it's your own car then that's the risk you take but if it's hers you should not being doing anything against her wishes.

Sorry if it's not what you want to hear but that's the reality of it and how I see it.

BTW, my first car was $300 and I drove the piss out of it and went through 5 engines but it was all on my dime and my time. That's how I learned and sometimes life is just like that. Good luck.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Old 04-20-2014, 08:09 PM   #5
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explit Player View Post
Thats just not what im looking for and I would think you would know it. Parents buy their kids cars all the time. Im not saying im abusing the car, because its my most loved possesion. But I just want to see what the car and I can do together is what im getting at. So let me rephrase. "Whats a POSSIBLE way to get my mother to let me drive it on the track?"

(No offence here though)
My Mom was like yours, it's hard because really she just cares very much for you and worries. Not a bad thing!

Even though you are doing/will do basic drag, why not meet her 1/2 way?

Tell her about safety equipment (helmet, firesuit, etc) and work with her to get them. She may want to help. Does she have a lucky coin or something? Say you would like to bring it with you on a run?

Finally, I know that track has plenty of support, so maybe explain you will have proper safety equipment, have her lucky charm, and the best track support there is.

Tell her you want to do this with her behind you, and how much that means.

If that does not work, no idea!
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Old 04-20-2014, 08:15 PM   #6
Explit Player
IG @Brian_ _Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Lover View Post
My Mom was like yours, it's hard because really she just cares very much for you and worries. Not a bad thing!

Even though you are doing/will do basic drag, why not meet her 1/2 way?

Tell her about safety equipment (helmet, firesuit, etc) and work with her to get them. She may want to help. Does she have a lucky coin or something? Say you would like to bring it with you on a run?

Finally, I know that track has plenty of support, so maybe explain you will have proper safety equipment, have her lucky charm, and the best track support there is.

Tell her you want to do this with her behind you, and how much that means.

If that does not work, no idea!
Thank GOD you can understand me!! I will try, great advice!.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:20 PM   #7
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Quote:
Thank GOD you can understand me!! I will try, great advice!.
I boxed in the local amateur ranks (LOWELL WEST END!!!!) for 2 years and hid it from my worry prone Mom by using a false name. After I had experience and was a good fighter, I slowly brought her around to the idea of boxing UNDER ALL PROPER SAFETY.

Just include her and go the distance to make her feel you will be ok. She loves you after all, that's not a bad thing. Never forget that.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Old 04-20-2014, 08:30 PM   #8
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Move out of your parents basement and do what you want.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:30 PM   #9
Explit Player
IG @Brian_ _Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhagen View Post
Move out of your parents basement and do what you want.
Dang. If only I wasnt 17.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:14 PM   #10
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
lifes simple.....make the payment..beat the car.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:51 PM   #11
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
Quote:
OK, this answers some of the questions I had.

Your mom is just worried about your safety and her financial investment in the car. Tell her that drag racing makes you a better overall driver because it teaches you how your car feels at the limit (in case you get into a similar situation on the street). Also, I seem to remember reading that the 5th gen Camaro received the best overall crash rating for sports cars in the United States. Lastly, tell her that every car goes through an "inspection" before it's allowed on the track. The track officials will make sure you have sufficient safety gear.

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
Old 04-21-2014, 04:08 AM   #12
Mdipinto

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro silver black stripe
Look. You dont tell us who is paying for the car... so still.
if its your car and they are paying for it, they have some right to say no, deal with it. You wouldnt like for them to take your xbox to a party and somehow it brakes.

all seriousness, tell your mother is better than street racing. Tell her to go to the strip with you. Maybe to do a run... you can't force her to let you do it, but. You can persue her in the benefits of it. In which dragstrip is not that much. I would recomend autocross, but that causes dings from cones!

my advice is make the payments, pay for insurance, maintenance and gas. And then you can do what ever you want. Mommy can't say a thing to stop you.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:08 AM   #13
Wolfman720

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:

You can enlist at 17. You can move out at 17.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:14 AM   #14
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
One thing she may be thinking about is if you break your car, who is going to pay for the repairs? Also do you have your own seperate insurance policy? If you are on your parents insurance you are risking them having their rates increase or worse, losing coverage.

Closed Thread