Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-23-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
Convertible Bass Part II

So I have been working on ways to get more respectible bass in the convertible. The factory sub replacement option is very nice, but those craving more bass will want to put subs in the trunk. There is simply no way around that. But there are a couple problems associated with trying to fit a large box in the convertible trunk. First, space is limited. A huge box simply isn't going to fit the small opening. Second, the dynamic of the trunk changes when the top comes down. Therefore you must factor that into the design. And lastly if you get a box in there, where do you put the amp? So those are some of the criteria we work with when developing a system for this car.

I spent a lot of time testing different setups to see what works best and sounds best. Below are some pics of our first design. Most important, I wanted to keep it clean. Not everybody's amp is going to fit under the floor, so we need to incorporate an amplifier into the box itself. Second, it has to fit. In order to have two subs and plenty of volume, we had to split the box into two sections to be installed on at a time. There is a fine line there. If you get one half too large, the other one is not gonna go in. It takes a little prototyping to know what fits and what doesn't.

This one is actually a dual 10 front fire design with around 1.0 cu.ft. per side. Each side is large enough to house a fairly hefty 10" sub. I don't have it wired just yet. I was just doing some test fitting and thought I would take a couple pics. Might pull it out tomorrow to show the front side and some details there. The front fire is undoubtedly the best way to fire subs in the vert because of all the obsticles. We'll probably offer a similar downfire version but that may restrict how the depth of subwoofers being used. I did the trim panel in orange vinyl to make it stand out a little. We would normally do that part in carpet so it would all blend, but for mine I thought it would be a nice example to do it in the orange vinyl. I made it attach with velcro so it comes off easy with no fasteners showing or tools needed.

Anyway take a look and let me know what you think.
Attached Images

Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:20 PM   #2
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
As always, looks good!!!
Old 06-24-2011, 02:26 AM   #3
zachi3

Drives: IOM 2SS Convertible
Nice job, congrats
zachi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
Jonny

Drives: 2011 2LT RS Convertible Camaro
Hey Steve, are you still working on this option?
2011 "Victory Red" Camaro 2LT Convertible RS • Custom Painted "Corvette Black" Racing Stripes • SLP Rear Quarter Gill Graphics • Painted Engine Cover • EmblemPros Underhood Bowtie • River City Creations Custom Painted Bowties • Vararam Intake • JDP V6 VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Hypertech Max Energy Programming • ******** Large Sub Enclosure • 10" DC Sound Labs Level Four Subwoofer • Sundown SAX-1200d Amp • 2SSRS Rear View Backup Camera Kit
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
Hey Steve, are you still working on this option?
my 10w7 in the bigger side box blows that away
Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote