Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #29
crashprime

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS IOM M6
Hopefully I can knock out some driving stick 101 questions while people are reading this thread ...

At a stop light should you ALWAYS put the car in neutral while waiting for a green? Sometimes I stay in gear with the clutch/brake fully engaged while I wait.

When driving in a neighborhood, 20-30mph speeds, is it going to hurt anything staying in 3rd or even 4th gear when turning corners? I hear the engine get throaty when it gets down in to the 800rpm range, but I still have good control of the car around the corner. To me I don't feel like I need to blip the throttle, downshift, turn, upshift all in an effort to just turn the corner leisurely driving around my neighborhood.

Finally, what is the best strategy to turn into an inclined driveway? Right now I end up just getting close to my turn, putting the clutch in, and letting momentum carry me up the driveway. When I attempt to use 2nd gear I end up causing engine bog and its a bear to move slowly but consistently on that incline.
crashprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #30
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashprime View Post
Hopefully I can knock out some driving stick 101 questions while people are reading this thread ...

At a stop light should you ALWAYS put the car in neutral while waiting for a green? Sometimes I stay in gear with the clutch/brake fully engaged while I wait.

When driving in a neighborhood, 20-30mph speeds, is it going to hurt anything staying in 3rd or even 4th gear when turning corners? I hear the engine get throaty when it gets down in to the 800rpm range, but I still have good control of the car around the corner. To me I don't feel like I need to blip the throttle, downshift, turn, upshift all in an effort to just turn the corner leisurely driving around my neighborhood.

Finally, what is the best strategy to turn into an inclined driveway? Right now I end up just getting close to my turn, putting the clutch in, and letting momentum carry me up the driveway. When I attempt to use 2nd gear I end up causing engine bog and its a bear to move slowly but consistently on that incline.
I'll give my input.

If the light is short I leave it in gear unless it's a really long light.

Going that speed it's not bad just don't let the engine get way down and struggle, just leave it in gear no need to over-complicate.

I think what I would do is do the same just coast it up the driveway using momentum, it's very difficult to turn uphill without gassing it quite a bit.

But I am still learning so I stand corrected from people who have driven stick for years.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #31
MR.CamaroSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
i bought my car 5 months ago and it was my first manual...not the first time i drove one but owned. i can say its not the most forgiving clutch out there. like everything takes a little practice but once you get use to it it will be even more fun... advice to save a little wear make sure you match your rev's when down shifting and i do this to help get better MPG i go 1st 3rd 6th. dont force it when the car says 1st to 4th, i would definitely get the skip shift eliminator it get annoying. lol and dont MISS shifts it wont take long to F it up.enjoy it
MR.CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:20 AM   #32
LoneCynic

Drives: 2015 BVM 1SS/1LE
The first time Manual Driving thread was one posted by me. Do a search for Manual, and threads created by me to find it. Hopefully that will help you out some.
LoneCynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:02 AM   #33
CharleyKahleys

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS cyber gray/black strip
I never owned a stick shift, I have a L99, but my friend has a LS3...I never drove a stick untill he got his....so I wanted to try it out and well.....I did perfect, didn't stall or have any jumpy shifts, it kinda felt like I was ment to drive a stick, and it's much more fun!! GRATZ! And welcome!
CharleyKahleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:56 AM   #34
Candy_Camaro
Amanda

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Just listen to the engine!

Here are a few tips I was told...some I used and some I didn't..

Generally, you shift around the mph... Below 10mph, in first. 10-20mph, 2nd and so on. this depends on the engine in the car though. If she is red lining, shift. :-)

For every bit you let off the clutch, push in the gas. This is easier to explain by using hand gestures. My husband hated me explaining this but it worked when I learned.

Like others said, silence in the car! No radio and just listen to the engine. You will figure it out pretty quickly.
Candy_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #35
Mikey193

Drives: 2012 black ss/rs camaro
I was in the same situation. My dad had to drive my car off the lot lol. But a day with the car in a empty parking lot, and i was driving it normal. Just take your time and you'll get it down. Congrats on the car btw
Mikey193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:02 PM   #36
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Quick question

Say you're approaching a 4 way stop and you have stop to let a car go but then you have to go directly after them. I'm always slow on starting back up finding the engagement point to start rolling but I'd rather not stall by letting the clutch out too quick.

What is the best way when you have to stop for a split second and then start right back up because you can't keep on the gas? Or is this just one of those things you just get better at with quickness and smoothness?
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:15 AM   #37
HorsePower-Freak

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashprime View Post

I just use my own little rule I made up for myself when driving residential, 0-19mph in 1st, 20-29 in 2nd, 30-39 in 3rd. Usually residential doesn't get above that. As far as making the engine bog, you have to match the RPM's when downshifting so you need to give it some gas before you let off the clutch...
HorsePower-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:22 AM   #38
HorsePower-Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1990 View Post
Quick question

Say you're approaching a 4 way stop and you have stop to let a car go but then you have to go directly after them. I'm always slow on starting back up finding the engagement point to start rolling but I'd rather not stall by letting the clutch out too quick.

What is the best way when you have to stop for a split second and then start right back up because you can't keep on the gas? Or is this just one of those things you just get better at with quickness and smoothness?
The BIGGEST thing about that is to stay relaxed, if you freak out about stalling the car and embarrassing your self then that's exactly what is going to happen. I know, I used to drive my son to school when I first got mine and let me tell you I learned real quick how not to stall in front of a bunch of angry moms who are stuck in traffic trying to get their kids to class on time
Old 07-01-2012, 03:31 AM   #39
HorsePower-Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy_Camaro View Post
Just listen to the engine!

Here are a few tips I was told...some I used and some I didn't..

Generally, you shift around the mph... Below 10mph, in first. 10-20mph, 2nd and so on. this depends on the engine in the car though. If she is red lining, shift. :-)

For every bit you let off the clutch, push in the gas. This is easier to explain by using hand gestures. My husband hated me explaining this but it worked when I learned.

Like others said, silence in the car! No radio and just listen to the engine. You will figure it out pretty quickly.
hey lol just read this and I had posted pretty much the same thing! Here I thought I was being original

Last edited by HorsePower-Freak; 07-01-2012 at 03:32 AM. Reason: missworded
Old 07-01-2012, 05:47 AM   #40
Candy_Camaro
Amanda

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsePower-Freak View Post
hey lol just read this and I had posted pretty much the same thing! Here I thought I was being original
Haha. Apparently great minds think alike. I have been driving a manual for 14 years. lol.
Candy_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote