Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 07-27-2014, 03:31 PM   #169
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ss-booya View Post
Hey Jess, keep in mind I had bad luck with the BB exhaust for the short time I had it. To top it off... their warranty policy sucks big time.
Litespeed is going to do the whole Ti system. The company that said they could mandrel bend said they needed to have twice as much material because there was a 50% fail rate on the bends and that is just unacceptable at this price point.

As an interim solution I'm going with a Magnaflow 3" system because I'm told it is much quieter and to be honest I just do not like loud. Thanks for the warning...

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:09 AM   #170
Botally Tone

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray ZL1
How's progress coming Jess? Forgive me for being impatient I just want to see some results on this amazing build! Maybe after this is done you can attach some wings. You'll probably have enough hp to sustain moderate flight .
Botally Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:59 PM   #171
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botally Tone View Post
How's progress coming Jess? Forgive me for being impatient I just want to see some results on this amazing build! Maybe after this is done you can attach some wings. You'll probably have enough hp to sustain moderate flight .
I'm a thousand miles away right now and I'm trying to let AGP work. Kevin had ordered American racing shorty headers and was told it would take a week for delivery. My car sat in his shop for a week without much happening and then no headers showed up so after a lot of calls he found no ARH headers were in stock and it was unclear how long it would take for a set to get built. We did a little scrambling and he ordered a set of Doug Thorly shortys from the summit racing catalog that actually were in stock and shipped overnight. A little variation in length and flange orientation but he is custom building what needs to make it fit.

Here is a link to another thread pretty much about my car, it has recent turbo install pics at the end: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355731

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:31 PM   #172
jessrayo
Speed Freak

It is time for more updates. I have not heard anything for a couple weeks on the titanium system and the Magnaflow exhaust looks so good I'm probably just going to run that. The turbos, wastegates, intercooler are all on the car. A little more intake piping and a new front crash bar and the car will be ready to start....
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2014, 08:39 PM   #173
jessrayo
Speed Freak

I don't have any pics to post yet but I will detail many of the changes that have happened on my car since my last post.

Cooling the intake air:

My air intake filters for the turbochargers are now located inside the front fender behind the tire. With the amount of heat coming off the engine, the engine bay could not be kept cool when ambient temps were above 100 degrees. When the filters were under the car the heat rising off the road was also raising IAT 1 to above 130 degrees.

The car now has a very large air to air intercooler. The intercooler in the above pictures turned out to be a little too small and we are going with the biggest unit that would fit inside the grill. This required relocating the oil cooler under the radiators and rebuilding the front crash support to allow more space for the cooler.

The car now has a dual nozzle meth spray system and 5 gallon meth tank in the trunk.

Other changes still pending before the mile:

The original location of the front brake ducts has been blocked by the new larger intercoolers so custom brake ducting is still in the works.

A set of the newest Spal Neuvo brushless fans have been purchased and custom shrouds are being fabricated. They are slightly larger than the stock fans and are supposed to draw 30% more air than stock according to manufacturer testing. They have their own control computer and run variable speed independent of the car computer. Supposedly they can continue to draw more air at vehicle speeds that normally shut the fans down.

A nine inch heavy duty racing rearend with helical limited slip differential is on order from Hendrix engineering and will be installed prior to the mile. It will require some custom plumbing to integrate the ZL1 diff cooling system into the fluid sump.

Testing at extreme speed seems to indicate the large grill intake and small ZL1 hood vent are actually limiting air flow through the radiators at speed due to the belly pan and enclosed nature of the ZL1 engine compartment. We plan to install more vents into the top of the ZL1 hood to promote more air moving through the grill and out the top of the hood while continuing to produce downforce.

Supercharger coolant in the reservoir is getting to temps well above ambient even after a pass through the heat exchanger in the grill. We are considering increasing capacity of the reservoir even more to possibly as much as 8 gallons total capacity. Also considering installing drop in "plugs" that could be removed from the reservoir and filled with a dry ice mixture to provide extended cooling of the supercharger fluid. Venting the CO2 gas byproduct from my trunk hasn't been exactly figured out yet.

All of my nitrous oxide controllers and bottle heaters and clamps are still in the car and we are planning on installing the nitrous spraybar and nozzles back into the supercharger before the mile. I don't think I will need more power but spraying nitrous also helps cool the intake charge....

Should see the first compound boost dyno sheet within a week.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:15 PM   #174
GenF-GTS
Account Suspended

Drives: none
Jessy why not run a nano nitrous system?

GenF-GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:16 PM   #175
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Well, long time since I added anything to my build thread so I'm going to try to briefly catch everything up here.

Car ran the Texas mile in Oct 2014 on just turbos. We could not get the car to make big power on the compound boost set-up. The car dynoed 1436whp on just turbos. Three days after the car came home from the mile I took it to the 1/4 mile strip and had 2 passes with no traction, 3rd pass had better traction but broke transmission. I will include a link to the Texas mile video....pretty casual for 200mph...lol. It did get a little squirley at 150mph....

Transmission is being rebuilt, supercharger lid is being rebuilt to handle compound again and I'm waiting again....

Old 05-31-2015, 07:26 PM   #176
Vicster
1000hp is NEVER Enough!

Drives: 13' ZL1
Thumbs up OMG

Awesome Build!! Please keep the updates comming!
Vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:25 PM   #177
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Finially have a new engine.

Looking back, no posts on this thread for about a year but my new engine finally is being shipped today. It is an O-ringed LSX 427. Engine is broken in on the dyno and this is a video of the power test after break-in. Dyno numbers are engine only with natural aspiration. When it all goes together it should be compound boost (lsa supercharger and twin 6466's), new transmission, new rear, new clutch, new motor. As more develops I will be posting more information. It made 576 hp N/A if you don't want to watch the video.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:52 PM   #178
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Sweet! I'll be looking forward to seeing if this one spins the wheels on the dyno roller when it's all done.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:03 PM   #179
LuckyZL-1
Ragtop Rocket!!!

Drives: Black on Black Convertible
Bout freakin time!! LoL
ADM custom cam, LPE stage 2 heads with dual valve springs, LS-3 ported throttle body, LPE 2 piece pulley, LPE overdrive balancer, 10% overdrive pulley, ported supercharger inlet, ADM race intake system, stainless works 1-7/8 headers, Injector Dynamics injectors, ADM heat exchanger, ADM dual fuel pump system, ADM exhaust switch, ADM 3 tunes tuning package.
744rwhp 727rwtq
LuckyZL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:38 AM   #180
jessrayo
Speed Freak

another new engine

Well over a year since my last post on this thread but time for an upgrade. My Camaro did 203.5 mph on its lowest boost setting at the Oct 2016 Texas mile. I broke the head trying to give it more boost. Finially got the new engine complete yesterday. New engine made 670 hp on the engine dyno with no boost. Here are pics of the time slip and damage. I'm trying to figure out how to upload the video. may have to put it on you tube first...

Name:  20161028_121700.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  101.9 KB

Name:  cracked head.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  117.4 KB

Old 08-10-2017, 11:55 AM   #181
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Ouch on the heads... but 203.4 in a 5th Gen is crazy fast.
Glad to see things are back together now.

YouTube is the way to go. Then just paste in the link with no tags or anything.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:09 PM   #182
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Okay lets see if I can get this dyno vid up. About 100 more N/A hp than the last motor so new heads and valve-train flow much better.