Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 02:31 PM   #29
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
so if i want a really quiet muffler on one side and a loud one on the otherside would that be possible? id get my a$$ handed to me by johnny law by having a straight pipes, but i really want to be able to cruise with without going deaf, also if not possible do you get any gain on turbo charged systems by having a cutout?
Old 09-25-2008, 02:31 PM   #30
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
Is it safe to simply release hot exhaust directly underneath the car?
Old 09-25-2008, 02:36 PM   #31
now

Drives: silverado ss
Correct me if im wrong but are you asking if you can be 50/50?

How it works is both diverters work with each other in sync. However, if you want to open it only 5%, (which usually sounds rediculously cool by the way) then leave it there. if you feel even a little bit more is ok with out getting in trouble give it a little more. With our controller you can even program your favorite SWEET SPOT with the middle button- just push and hold it for 3 seconds - similar to an FM radio preset. Then if you need that perfect "barely legal" tone you love just hit the middle button and it goes exactly back there.

To keep the cars engine and computer happy though we want equal pressure on each side so both diverters do the same thing at the same time.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:42 PM   #32
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croathlete View Post
Safe enough. I've seen a ton of exhaust done that way and had several myself, but safe is a tough word. Heck driving a car isn't "safe."
Old 09-25-2008, 02:42 PM   #33
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
i was refering to having 2 seperate mufflers like the stock one (or quieter) and a loud one like a flowmaster 40 series on the other side and go one side to the other. or does the partial opening still keep sounds under control
Old 09-25-2008, 02:43 PM   #34
Croathlete
Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert91RS View Post
Safe enough. I've seen a ton of exhaust done that way and had several myself, but safe is a tough word. Heck driving a car isn't "safe."
I guess the better question would have been, can it damage anything or cause any long term problems? There has to be a reason why all (stock) cars release exhaust away behind the vehicle...
Old 09-25-2008, 02:46 PM   #35
Robert91RS

Quote:
I guess the better question would have been, can it damage anything or cause any long term problems? There has to be a reason why all cars release exhaust away behind the vehicle...
Technicly speaking the main reason to dump exhaust in the back is to prevent excessive fumes from entering the cabin. Legaly all exhaust must clear the cabin.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:47 PM   #36
now

Quote:
A turndown is used in most cases to direct the exhaust to the sides or back based on location of diverter. Directing heat and fumes toward the edges of the car is normally how its installed and should be kept in mind to keep it safe.

More than likely the diverter is going to be right at the front edge of the back tire and the loud open exhaust will be directed either straight back or turned down and out at 45 degree angles. This is approximately where we install on the C5 Z06 and it works amazing back there.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:51 PM   #37
Robert91RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by noweeds.net View Post
More than likely the diverter is going to be right at the front edge of the back tire and the loud open exhaust will be directed either straight back or turned down and out at 45 degree angles. This is approximately where we install on the C5 Z06 and it works amazing back there.
But won't that put the valve behind the cats?
Old 09-25-2008, 02:51 PM   #38
Croathlete
Danny

Quote:
Technicly speaking the main reason to dump exhaust in the back is to prevent excessive fumes from entering the cabin. Legaly all exhaust must clear the cabin.
Ok, that makes sense. So then the obvious question is, in your experience (or anyone else's), do you notice a strong exhaust smell when the diverter is engaged?

Sorry for all the questions, but I would definitely consider something like this in the new Camaro.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:54 PM   #39
now

Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
i was refering to having 2 seperate mufflers like the stock one (or quieter) and a loud one like a flowmaster 40 series on the other side and go one side to the other. or does the partial opening still keep sounds under control
Partial open will keep things civilized. We have done exactly what you are talking about before though and it does work that way too.

To keep weight down and keep it simple i would try without first- then add second muffler if it 'needs' it. It really is adjustable though. Like a volume knob you can keep bumping it.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:59 PM   #40
now

Quote:
But won't that put the valve behind the cats?
It does, but sometimes with engineered floor pans we have limited options. With the 5gallon bucket sized mufflers on this car - im guessing alot of sound is getting back there that they are trying to supress. The cats and resonators are usually very high flowing on these hp cars.

If there is room though- the front is better
Old 09-25-2008, 03:01 PM   #41
Robert91RS

Quote:
Ok, that makes sense. So then the obvious question is, in your experience (or anyone else's), do you notice a strong exhaust smell when the diverter is engaged?

Sorry for all the questions, but I would definitely consider something like this in the new Camaro.
Only on a race car because they dont have insulation or weatherstripping and often times have holes for the shifter or cage that let the fumes in.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:04 PM   #42
Robert91RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by noweeds.net View Post
It does, but sometimes with engineered floor pans we have limited options. With the 5gallon bucket sized mufflers on this car - im guessing alot of sound is getting back there that they are trying to supress. The cats and resonators are usually very high flowing on these hp cars.

If there is room though- the front is better
Front!!!!!!

Closed Thread

Tags
cutout, diverter, electric, exhaust, mufflers