Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 06-11-2015, 08:41 PM   #1
nickswe
A Swede lost in Texas

Drives: Camaro ZL1 2014 Black M6
Any ideas for a road trip on Sunday?

Only a few weeks left in Texas before moving home to Sweden. Saturday is all planned, but I need something for Sunday.

I have a rental car (as my Camaro is currently on its way to Sweden), and I have a full day of hours to spend.

The weather is going to be a bit boring in the DFW (and anything east of it) area, so I was thinking on driving towards El Paso.

Any recommendations for a good roadtrip that you can do in one day?

I was thinking going I20 from Dallas down to El Paso and just see whatever I can see while driving by...

Or do you have any better alternatives?

Currently driving a 2014 Camaro ZL1 Coupe.
nickswe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:35 PM   #2
WIPLASH
WIPLASH

Drives: '15 SW/2SS/RS/1LE
If you want a there and back road trip, drive to Austin and back. Stop in West on the way back at Czech Stop for colaches. (If they're open on Sunday). It's a nice drive and you can get there in 3 hours. Have fun and drive safely!
WIPLASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:47 PM   #3
nickswe
A Swede lost in Texas

Drives: Camaro ZL1 2014 Black M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by huligan View Post
If you want a there and back road trip, drive to Austin and back. Stop in West on the way back at Czech Stop for colaches. (If they're open on Sunday). It's a nice drive and you can get there in 3 hours. Have fun and drive safely!
Thanks for the tip! I have Austin and San Antonio on my to-do list, but the problem is that the weather forecast for this Sunday says its going to be rather crappy over there (just like in the DFW area). That's the reason why I am planning for heading South West.

Currently driving a 2014 Camaro ZL1 Coupe.
nickswe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:54 AM   #4
ac223mal

Drives: car
Getting to El Paso is going to take around 10 hrs + (depending on how you drive & amount of stops) so Im not sure it will make a good day trip unless your planning on staying a couple of days. Also from making the trip several times, there is not a whole lot of to see. To me its one of the most boring road trips to take. You might look into a cruise through Palo Duro it's west of Dallas (south of Amarillo) and has pretty scenery. That also might be a stretch though its 6 hrs one way, but if you're looking just to drive, it would be a good trip. Amarillo has a steakhouse that seems to be on all the must eat steaks in the US, but I can't attest to that, as I have never eaten there.

http://bigtexan.com/

And it's on Route 66.

Hope that helps
ac223mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:11 AM   #5
AKA chaoss

Drives: 2015 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac223mal View Post
Getting to El Paso is going to take around 10 hrs + (depending on how you drive & amount of stops) so Im not sure it will make a good day trip unless your planning on staying a couple of days. Also from making the trip several times, there is not a whole lot of to see. To me its one of the most boring road trips to take. You might look into a cruise through Palo Duro it's west of Dallas (south of Amarillo) and has pretty scenery. That also might be a stretch though its 6 hrs one way, but if you're looking just to drive, it would be a good trip. Amarillo has a steakhouse that seems to be on all the must eat steaks in the US, but I can't attest to that, as I have never eaten there.

http://bigtexan.com/

And it's on Route 66.

Hope that helps
I've eaten there and it's worth going if you are in the area but not a special trip I don't think. As for a texas road trip, to me there is nothing better than a drive through the hill country. Google texas hill country and plan yourself a route. However, #1 you're gonna wish you were in the Camaro and #2 you may cancel your plans to move out of Texas!
AKA chaoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:01 AM   #6
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
My vote would be for a Three Sisters run. About 6 or 7 years ago, I went with a group on motorcycles. Have been dying to go with the car since the day I purchased it, but life circumstances have changed, and I have not been able to find the time to do it.

It's a gorgeous ride, and closer to you than El Paso. Plenty of great food in the area, and absolutely gorgeous Texas Hill Country scenery.
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:02 PM   #7
ac223mal

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazy View Post
My vote would be for a Three Sisters run. About 6 or 7 years ago, I went with a group on motorcycles. Have been dying to go with the car since the day I purchased it, but life circumstances have changed, and I have not been able to find the time to do it.

It's a gorgeous ride, and closer to you than El Paso. Plenty of great food in the area, and absolutely gorgeous Texas Hill Country scenery.
That looks good, shame it take me 6 hrs to just get there.
ac223mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:44 PM   #8
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazy View Post

+1 have something to eat at Mac and Ernies too in Tarpley!

http://www.macandernies.com/

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote