Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
stt816

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS M6
Best performance mods for under $500? (in order)

Newbie here. I haven't even got my 2SS/RS yet but I am thinking of mods already. I know this has been covered before, but there are so many different responses. Between TB to CAI to Pulley to headers to tunes....confusing what to get first and what to progress with....What would be the best performance mods for under $500 (in order)...So excited to be on this forum and can't wait to get my 2ss!!!! thanks guys!

(btw my 2ss is coming with a short throw shifter)
stt816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
obx headers

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
stt816

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan513 View Post
obx headers

the thing is the headers might be $400 or less but install is like another 300...way over my budget....would a cold air intake really benefit me? how about tunes?
stt816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
razorduck
Self Made Thousandaire

Drives: 2011 SS/RS RJT
Cold air intake was my 1st. You can really feel the difference immediately.
razorduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
I would say without question, the very best money spent for under $500 would be to get an SCT tuner and have Ted Jannetty get you one of his custom engine and trans tunes for your car.

I put LTs, CAI, high flow cats, full custom exhaust and all made a difference you could feel but the custom tune from JRE was by far the most significant difference.

Now, this may have been because I have an L99 and the trans tune made a huge difference.

For the money, I would start there. Plus, its moldable with any future upgrades you get so its not something you will outgrow ever with mods.

May not be sexy but I personally believe it would make the most difference to how your car performs.

Remember though that add ons are at their best when used together. The CAI will increase the air flow your car has access to but without LTs, HF cats and good exhaust the engine may not be able to take advantage of the increase in air without the other parts. Plus, even if you get all those add ons, you will not get the most out of them unless you get a tune so that your engine is tweaked specifically for those parts.

In my opinion, $400 is a good start but to make a real difference, you will need to mod ahead and behind the engine to get the best results of the mods and also a good tune.

Warrantee is the main issue with most as far as getting serious performance increases with mods. You simply have a hard time getting good results while maintaining your warrantee. For me it was an easy choice, took about a month to void pretty much every bit of my powertrain and drivetrain warrantee.

Would do the same thing again unless perhaps I stepped up to the ZL1 but even then it would be REALLY hard not to mod it and get crazy performance.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
Muscle SS
All blackkk

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
A big plastic high-wing spoiler, it adds at least 150 hp
Old 03-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
Fiftydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle SS View Post
A big plastic high-wing spoiler, it adds at least 150 hp

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Old 03-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #8
Ricky11SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS L99
MBS Headers 300 shipped. No need to pay for the install. You can do it yourself
Old 03-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #9
bigsquirrel
My car runs on acorns....

Drives: 2010 SS RS Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
I would say without question, the very best money spent for under $500 would be to get an SCT tuner and have Ted Jannetty get you one of his custom engine and trans tunes for your car.

I put LTs, CAI, high flow cats, full custom exhaust and all made a difference you could feel but the custom tune from JRE was by far the most significant difference.

Now, this may have been because I have an L99 and the trans tune made a huge difference.

For the money, I would start there. Plus, its moldable with any future upgrades you get so its not something you will outgrow ever with mods.

May not be sexy but I personally believe it would make the most difference to how your car performs.

Remember though that add ons are at their best when used together. The CAI will increase the air flow your car has access to but without LTs, HF cats and good exhaust the engine may not be able to take advantage of the increase in air without the other parts. Plus, even if you get all those add ons, you will not get the most out of them unless you get a tune so that your engine is tweaked specifically for those parts.

In my opinion, $400 is a good start but to make a real difference, you will need to mod ahead and behind the engine to get the best results of the mods and also a good tune.

Warrantee is the main issue with most as far as getting serious performance increases with mods. You simply have a hard time getting good results while maintaining your warrantee. For me it was an easy choice, took about a month to void pretty much every bit of my powertrain and drivetrain warrantee.

Would do the same thing again unless perhaps I stepped up to the ZL1 but even then it would be REALLY hard not to mod it and get crazy performance.
Agreed, get a tune. Part of that money is a licence fee, as you add mods later getting updates will cost less. While mail in is a good option if you live far from a good tuner, its no replacement for a dyno tune.

2.9 Polished Whipple, Kooks LT 1 7/8 headers, HiFlow Cats, Kooks Sleeper catback, Cooling Mist Methanol Injection, PFADT Sport Sways, PFADT Springs, PFADT rear trailing arms, ADM intake, JDP stainless brake lines, Jegs Catch can, Stock SS wheels widened to 10 3/4, Hawks HPS Pads, Pedders Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts, BMR Center Brace, MSD BAP, AAC side markers, Emblem Pro's Custom Lighted Door Sills, Dash-Floor-Cupholder ABL lighting and other stuff....
bigsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #10
The SwiftChancelor

Drives: SGM, 2011 2SS/RS, L99
Headers or a CAI
Old 03-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #11
InfernoSS454

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Save ur money and get the intake and headers and tune all at once.
InfernoSS454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #12
Fiftydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoSS454 View Post
Save ur money and get the intake and headers and tune all at once.
Amen!!

More to come!!
Old 03-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #13
1FAST SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Cold Air Induction and then Hi flow cats.

CAI Cold Air Induction, ADM Race Scoop, Apex Washer Bottle Kit, Vengeance Racing Kaotic Cam, DOD/VVT delete and LS3 conversion, American Racing LT Headers, American Racing Headers Off Road pipes, Borla S-Type Catback, FTI Billet Triple Disk 3600 rpm Torque Converter, DSS Aluminium Drive Shaft, AAC Plasma DRL's, Showstopper LED Sidemarkers,Carbon FIber Bow Ties, 35% Window Tint, Llyod's Floor Mats, JBL MS-8 Sound Processor, 2 Alpine PDX-1.600, Alpine PDX-4.100, JL Audio C5-650, JL Audio C5-650x, Alpine T10 Type R Shallow Mount, Stinger Dry Cell Battery
1FAST SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #14
pistolgripcopo1
pistolgripcopo1

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro Carbon fiber gray
Cold air induction, ADM. scoop
pistolgripcopo1 is offline   Reply With Quote