Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
MrGood

Drives: Broken palmghetto test car
Send a message via Yahoo to MrGood
Stock wheels flaking! Should I...

Hey all I have a 2010 2LT RS. Everything is factory minus the cai coming in but that's irrelevant because the reason I am posting is to ask how many other people have had their 20" RS wheels flake? Dealer basically told me to gtfo. So what should I do because I really like these wheels. Another thing is.. Would it be okay just to have em blasted? I don't see why not? Also has anyone done this that has a pic of how it would look? Mine is abm. Thanks.
MrGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
A club member of ours had one of his back wheels flaking BADLY. His dealer basically told him to go kick rocks. I sent him to my dealer. Stingray Chevrolet and they replaced his wheel under warranty no problem.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
MrGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
A club member of ours had one of his back wheels flaking BADLY. His dealer basically told him to go kick rocks. I sent him to my dealer. Stingray Chevrolet and they replaced his wheel under warranty no problem.
See my cars sittin at 64,000 miles.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
Stealthpanda
Thread Ender

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Curious why one dealer wouldnt entertain this issue and another did? If it was covered under warranty, why act shady? Some dealers man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanGoodson View Post
See my cars sittin at 64,000 miles.
Hmm... wouldnt something like this be covered under rust or corrosion? Or just easier to have a dealer dismiss it as "wear and tear" blah blah not covered. Still sucks, nonetheless.
Stealthpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
MrGood

Ferman Chevrolet of Tampa is absolute trash is why.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
MrGood

Like I said would there be anything wrong with just taking the paint of completely and leaving em as is?
Old 05-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #7
Stealthpanda
Thread Ender

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Probably not... I personally dont know what they would look like, or what harm it would cause/if at all.
Stealthpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
MrGood

Well I can see the color due to the 2"x2" flaking I just can't picture the entire wheels being stripped so I was hoping I'd find someone else with em already done.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
One-Bad-ZL1
So easy to love Camaros

Drives: 2013 ZL1 VR #3457
Send a message via Yahoo to One-Bad-ZL1
Quote:
Hey all I have a 2010 2LT RS. Everything is factory minus the cai coming in but that's irrelevant because the reason I am posting is to ask how many other people have had their 20" RS wheels flake? Dealer basically told me to gtfo. So what should I do because I really like these wheels. Another thing is.. Would it be okay just to have em blasted? I don't see why not? Also has anyone done this that has a pic of how it would look? Mine is abm. Thanks.

How bout some pics of the damage. I suggest you write to GM, send them the pictures and inform them of the crappy job this dealer is doing representing thier product. What's the worst that happens, nothing, that's where you are now. Let us know how it goes. I fear us New Englanders may be there sooner than our warrantees, so we'll be in the same boat.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #10
govea23

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
I painted my factory 20" wheels to flat black. I half fasted it so they flake on me and standing didn't do anything until i took them to get sandblasted. That clear coat it comes with is a b*** to remove. After i got them blasted i painted them and they turned out flawless. don't think its covered by warranty with that many miles.
govea23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #11
Ucantctchme

Drives: 2010 ss. 1990 RS the faster one.
Google Turbax wheel reconditioning. They are the only wheel repair place we will use (Buick dealer). They provide excellent work with reasonable prices.
Ucantctchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #12
Dr. Love

Drives: 2012
Quote:
My dealership replaced one of my wheels - no questions asked. Is it under warranty?

Dr. Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:57 PM   #13
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Mine haven't flaked at all, but these rims are crap. I don't not live on or drive on gravel road. She is a garage queen and is only driven in the summer. She has less than 1800 miles on her in the year I have owned it and there is some dents and little gouges too. Wish that they would have used a stronger metal
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #14
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
Blasting them will leave a grainy look you probably won't like. If you do blast them, re-paint them afterwards.

Also consider plastidipping your rims. You might like the black color and leave 'em that way!

Sounds like you might want to try a different dealership too.