Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-07-2009, 06:22 PM   #15
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFE SS View Post
Okay... Am finding it as difficult as I expected. What does a stock standard transmission 2010 'maro do if
you change the gears from 3.45 to 3.27?
http://f-body.org/gears/

Quote:
Originally Posted by attymf View Post
I was under the belief the cars top speed is in 4th gear.
...which leaves plenty of reason to have ultra-tall smooth quiet highway torquing gears for 5 and 6. Though, the Camaro's 6th gear is pretty decently tall anyway.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #16
UsedTaHaveA68

Drives: Hyundai Sonata
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
But unless you're going to the salt flats or a road course with super long straights I don't think top speed will be that crucial to your cars performance. So 4.10s will be plenty for the street and strip.
You wouldn't want to take it to the salt flats to test your vehicle's top speed. Those old lake beds are much softer than asphalt and create much more friction between the ground and the tires than hard asphalt. If you took it to a long enough stretch of road, though, your best bet would be to tape up the nose of the car to reduce drag.

Quote:
well, if you could drive in a vacuum with no gravity then theoretically yes you could get up to that speed, however you have a form of terminal velocity. cus you have to keep in mind that you have air resistance and gravity that will not allow you to get to that speed.
As long as you're moving perpendicular to the force of gravity (or in line with it), it will not slow you down, as it's not an opposing force. Driving in a vacuum would remove most of the drag against the car, with the friction between the tires and the road being the only other outside opposing force.
UsedTaHaveA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:55 PM   #17
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedTaHaveA68 View Post
You wouldn't want to take it to the salt flats to test your vehicle's top speed. Those old lake beds are much softer than asphalt and create much more friction between the ground and the tires than hard asphalt. If you took it to a long enough stretch of road, though, your best bet would be to tape up the nose of the car to reduce drag.

As long as you're moving perpendicular to the force of gravity (or in line with it), it will not slow you down, as it's not an opposing force. Driving in a vacuum would remove most of the drag against the car, with the friction between the tires and the road being the only other outside opposing force.
you watch to much top gear

if you do tape it up though remember its gonna over heat really quick
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:11 PM   #18
UsedTaHaveA68

Drives: Hyundai Sonata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentry78 View Post
you watch to much top gear

if you do tape it up though remember its gonna over heat really quick
Hahah well it is quite possibly the greatest automotive television show EVER. And I think the Camaro actually uses a scoop underneath the front fascia to direct air onto the radiator. I think. I know the Corvettes do. I could be completely wrong though.
UsedTaHaveA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:45 PM   #19
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:

1) such a long, straight stretch of road does not exist, to the best of my knowledge. And a 2 lane highway, even if it were closed down, is too narrow (ie dangerous) to try it anyways. A massive runway would be the best, such as the one out at Groom Lake. But last I checked, they don't like it when people come visit, something about 'No Trespassing: Deadly Force is Authorized' or words to that effect.
2) gravity does play a roll in slowing the car down, though its effect is quite small. The cycling of the suspension, the friction on axle bearings, and other stuff like that count as losses and are present because of gravity, but ... not many ever worry about them
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:00 PM   #20
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:

if you are moving perpendicular to the force of gravity it will be an opposing force. gravity pulling down on the car creates the friction between the tires and the road. not much force, but its there.

but moving in line with it would either speed you up or slow you down depending on which way the force of gravity was pulling.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:42 AM   #21
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
I think the Camaro actually uses a scoop underneath the front fascia to direct air onto the radiator. I think. I know the Corvettes do. I could be completely wrong though.
3rd and 4th generation Camaros did, and some had no front grille at all. With the huge gaping grille on the 5th gen, it would be wasteful to use a scoop underneath, as it would add unnecessary aerodynamic drag.

Can anyone confirm whether the 5th gen uses a scoop underneath? Look for a flat plastic thing hanging down that goes all the way across the front, below the radiator, and in front of/above it there's a large opening for air to get up to the radiator.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #22
69Bird

Drives: 1969 Firebird, 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
3rd and 4th generation Camaros did, and some had no front grille at all. With the huge gaping grille on the 5th gen, it would be wasteful to use a scoop underneath, as it would add unnecessary aerodynamic drag.

Can anyone confirm whether the 5th gen uses a scoop underneath? Look for a flat plastic thing hanging down that goes all the way across the front, below the radiator, and in front of/above it there's a large opening for air to get up to the radiator.

I have no idea if they scoop air from underneath but I would guess they do get some from there just like the 1st and 2nd gens did.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:09 AM   #23
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Hahah well it is quite possibly the greatest automotive television show EVER. And I think the Camaro actually uses a scoop underneath the front fascia to direct air onto the radiator. I think. I know the Corvettes do. I could be completely wrong though.
lmao

just a guess i believe it gets air from both
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote