Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 07-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #1
Cyber_Gray_Autobot

Drives: Camaro 2LT RS
Winter Tires

Hello Camaro Fans,

I just ordered a 2LT RS package (Cyber Gray) a few days ago and plan on driving the car all year round. Any ideas about rims/tires for the winter?

My understanding is that the bolt pattern for the rim is 5x120. I am not too sure about the offset though, but think it may be over 20. I emailed GM and they would not give me any of the information related to the rims.

I was thinking of going to a 18 inch rim with a tire that is 225 60 18 for winter driving. This size of tire would match the overall diameter of the performance wheels so that it won't mess up the speedometer/odometer readings. Any idea what width of rims are required (9 inch???)?

If anyone has done some research on this already, please let me know. I was looking for winter tires that match the cars original tires and they seem hard to come by.
Cyber_Gray_Autobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:54 PM   #2
SS2 RS

Drives: HHR SS
I have a number of cheap winter beaters for you to buy so you don`t have to drive it in the winter, but if you must... tirerack.com
SS2 RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:58 PM   #3
sigma_1966
My baby is here

Drives: SIM 2LT
If you find anywhere local let me know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber_Gray_Autobot View Post
Hello Camaro Fans,

I just ordered a 2LT RS package (Cyber Gray) a few days ago and plan on driving the car all year round. Any ideas about rims/tires for the winter?

My understanding is that the bolt pattern for the rim is 5x120. I am not too sure about the offset though, but think it may be over 20. I emailed GM and they would not give me any of the information related to the rims.

I was thinking of going to a 18 inch rim with a tire that is 225 60 18 for winter driving. This size of tire would match the overall diameter of the performance wheels so that it won't mess up the speedometer/odometer readings. Any idea what width of rims are required (9 inch???)?

If anyone has done some research on this already, please let me know. I was looking for winter tires that match the cars original tires and they seem hard to come by.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:19 AM   #4
Main

Drives: 10 Camaro 2LT, 10 SRX FWD
I'm looking too. It broke my heart, but I didn't order RS because of the tires. I have ordered the 19" polished, and I plan on getting a smaller rim - same size as on the LS and tire to match.

I can recommend tirerack.com, I used them a couple winters ago and was VERY happy with the experience and the price.

I'm waiting a few months to shop for the tires.. I also figure I need the car here!

I would like a winter beater but my wife isn't to keen on more money being spent.

Last edited by Main; 07-20-2009 at 02:00 AM.
Main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:02 AM   #5
CaMario

Drives: Mazda 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Main View Post
I'm looking to. It broke my heard, but I didn't order RS because of the tires. I have ordered the 19" polished, and I plan on getting a smaller rim - same size as on the LS and tire to match.

I can recommend tirerack.com, I used them a couple winters ago and was VERY happy with the experience and the price.

I'm waiting a few months to shop for the tires.. I also figure I need the car here!

I would like a winter beater but my wife isn't to keen on more money being spent.

I'm in the same boat......maybe down the road I can get a beater. I wanna make sure I understand though. I'm thinking of purchasing a 2LT (no RS). Are you saying I can get winters for that without a problem?

PS - I asked the salesman at the dealership and he said no problem. And, it should run approx $1,700 (rims, tires etc).

Thanks
CaMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:14 AM   #6
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
I had looked into this last winter as a result of finding out that nobody made snow tires for the SRT8 Challenger (maybe they're available now).

Anyway, I brought this up with Cheryl and this was her response to me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl Pilcher
----- Original Message -----
To: Elie Garfinkel
Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2009 9:56 PM
Subject: Re: Snow Tires for Camaro

Hi Elie,

Have no fear... the 20" Pirelli Camaro SS tires will be available in a snow tire configuration which I would recommend for those of us who need it. The 18" & 19" Camaro all season factory tires have 80% of the snow traction of a snow tire. Thus far these tires have performed admirably in the Michigan winter.

I hope that helps ease your concerns...

Take care,
Cheryl
Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 07-08-2009, 10:22 AM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber_Gray_Autobot View Post
Hello Camaro Fans,

for a 225/60 R18 you'd probably want a 7" 1/2 rim. Tires have to bulge out 1 to 2 inches from the rim to the maximum section width. Coincidentally, that tire size is what most of the Chargers, 300's, Magnums, and Challengers use. Finding winter tires in that size shouldn't be much of an issue. Now, if you were trying to find some that fit the stock 20" rims for the RS ... it would probably be cheaper to buy a beater for the winter.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:19 AM   #8
tededfred

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow Camaro 2LT!!
is it just me or do NONE of the rims listed on tirerack as matching the camaro have winter tires available? Is it just a seasonal thing? i.e. do more winter tires become available on the site as we get closer to winter? There are some decent deals on the rims that i'd be tempted to jump on if I knew I'd be able to get winter rubber on em when it comes time for that.
tededfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:16 PM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tededfred View Post
is it just me or do NONE of the rims listed on tirerack as matching the camaro have winter tires available? Is it just a seasonal thing? i.e. do more winter tires become available on the site as we get closer to winter? There are some decent deals on the rims that i'd be tempted to jump on if I knew I'd be able to get winter rubber on em when it comes time for that.
Could be, I've never even looked for winter tires in the middle of summer.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:12 AM   #10
tededfred

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow Camaro 2LT!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Could be, I've never even looked for winter tires in the middle of summer.
i wonder if i should just bite the bullet and buy rims now... and just hope that winter rubber that fits em will become available in the fall... hmmm....
tededfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:58 PM   #11
Cyber_Gray_Autobot

Drives: Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
for a 225/60 R18 you'd probably want a 7" 1/2 rim. Tires have to bulge out 1 to 2 inches from the rim to the maximum section width. Coincidentally, that tire size is what most of the Chargers, 300's, Magnums, and Challengers use. Finding winter tires in that size shouldn't be much of an issue. Now, if you were trying to find some that fit the stock 20" rims for the RS ... it would probably be cheaper to buy a beater for the winter.
Thanks for the all the information. I went for my first test drive in a Red Camaro (auto, RS LT2) this morning and I loved it. Yeah, visibility isn't the greatest through the rear but the drive is so smooth with plenty of power to boot (even in the wet). The seats are super comfortable and you really get the feel of being in a sports car, as you sit low to the ground. I am really looking forward to receiving my car (hopefully by September).
Cyber_Gray_Autobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:41 AM   #12
Sstac

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfin View Post
I had looked into this last winter as a result of finding out that nobody made snow tires for the SRT8 Challenger (maybe they're available now).

Anyway, I brought this up with Cheryl and this was her response to me:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl Pilcher
----- Original Message -----
To: Elie Garfinkel
Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2009 9:56 PM
Subject: Re: Snow Tires for Camaro

Hi Elie,

Have no fear... the 20" Pirelli Camaro SS tires will be available in a snow tire configuration which I would recommend for those of us who need it. The 18" & 19" Camaro all season factory tires have 80% of the snow traction of a snow tire. Thus far these tires have performed admirably in the Michigan winter.

I hope that helps ease your concerns...

Take care,
Cheryl

Best regardSS,

Elie
Where and When can I order these???
I will be driving my SS all year...
2000, Accepted By GM
09-1-09
3000, Order accepted by production control 09-1-09 TPW 09-21-09
3300, Order scheduled for production 09/11/09
3400, Order broadcast 09-12-09
3800, Order produced 09-22-09
4000, Available to ship 09-23-09
4200, Shipped 09-24-09
5000, Delivered to the dealer 10/12/09
* Picked up 10/12/09
Sstac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:35 AM   #13
YYZ

Drives: Black 2LT RS
These are a few good sites to use.. I know tirerack was already mentioned...

http://www.tiresavings.com/
http://www.1010tires.com
http://www.tirerack.com
http://www.wheelsnext.com

I've used tiressavings before...they were great...but I only bought rubber from them..not rims..
YYZ is offline   Reply With Quote