Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 11-19-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
elpatofeo
LawBraker

Drives: 10 SIM 2LT/RS & 2016 1SS Hyper Blue
Window Tint Film

I have a question that has been buggin' me and that is preventing me from tinting my windows...apparently there is tint that has metal flakes on it that will cause problems with your wireless equipment (cell phone or antenna). Is this true? Apparently this is the cheap tint that will cost me around $150. They also have what they call High Performance tint that will cost me around $220 which doesn't have the metal flakes which cause problems with your wireless equipment. And than there is the Ceramic Tint which will cost around $300-400 which is heat resistant and keeps your car a lot cooler than the regular tint...what do you guys recommend? SScattergunSS had his done with the ceramic tint and it looks nice but you really can't tell the difference by just looking at it. Any pros out there that can help me decide on what tint to choose?

Last edited by elpatofeo; 11-19-2009 at 11:43 AM.
elpatofeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
GamecockFan

Drives: 2G1FK1EJ7A9117103
I'm not a pro, but my best recommendation is first to go to a shop that does 3M installs and is 3M certified. 3M makes ColorStable which is the non-metallic film you are referring to. It cost me $220 and came with a lifetime warranty.

Now, I don't know how it compares to ceramic, but I personally am very pleased with it.
GamecockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:32 AM   #3
bbossman

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/Rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpatofeo View Post
I have a question that has been buggin' me and that is preventing me from tinting my windows...apparently there is tint that has metal flakes on it that will cause problems with your wireless equipment (cell phone or antenna). Is this true? Apparently this is the cheap tint that will cost me around $150. They also have what they call High Performance tint that will cost me around $220 which doesn't have the metall flakes which cause problems with you wireless equipment. And than there is the Ceramic Tint which will cost around $300-400 which is heat resistant and keeps your car a lot cooler than the regular tint...what do you guys recommend? SScattergunSS had his done with the ceramic tint and it looks nice but you really can't tell the difference by just looking at it. Any pros out there that can help me decide on what to tint to choose?
Just had mine done 2 weeks ago for $225. I also asked them about the tint which causes problems with the antenna and they said as long as it doesnt have the metal in the tint then your fine. I have no issues with mine so looking at your numbers I would assume I have what you call the High Performance tint!
bbossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
Mr Smith
Born again Hot Rodder

Drives: Black 1SS/RS LS3 M6
Havent had any issues with my tint messing with the radio, phone, or XM. I tried turning on the rear defroster and everything was still a-ok. I dont believe my tint is the expensive stuff.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:48 AM   #5
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Go with 5%, and nobody can see in
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:55 AM   #6
SS Mike

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS CGM M6
There is a metallic tint that helps reduce UV rays from getting inside the car, as well as heat and what not, even better than regular non metallic tint. However because of the problem with getting in the way of radio and other signals from cars, they now have Ceramic Tint to compensate. Ceramic is just as good as the metallic, but does not interfere with XM, Radio, Bluetooth, Cell phone, or anything. I have this on my car and I haven't had one problem. My rear defroster still works with the radio too. I heard someone on the boards mention their radio gets staticky (sp?) when they turn the rear defroster on after having their windows tinted.

You can't see a difference in the ceramic (or metallic) tint and regular non ceramic tint, unless you see them together off the car. My car does stay exceptionally cool, but I think a regular, but darker, tint would probably do the trick just fine. I only have 35%. I don't really have anything to directly compare it to.

If you're going for just looks, then go with the regular tint. It will save you money and you're car will still stay cool in the heat. If you really need the car to stay very cool, or it sits in the sun all day every day, then I suggest investing in the ceramic tint. Over time it will save you money on repairing interior parts due to sun damage.

Hope this helps!

-Mike

Vortech V-3 Kit, ARH LT's, Custom Exhaust, Aeromotive A1000 Fuel System, Custom Tune - 582 rwhp 533 rwtq
22" Modulare H2 Wheels, CF Hood, Trunk, Spoiler & Roof by Carbon by Design, Custom Steering Wheel from P-Factor
Brembo GT BBK, Alpine INA-900, Alpine Type-R Speakers, Hurst Shifter, APR Splitter, Custom Quad Tip Diffuser
CKS C1 Coilovers, Falken 452 Tires, 265/35/22 & 285/35/22, Custom Grille, AAC Halos, and much more to come!!
SS Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:03 PM   #7
elpatofeo
LawBraker

...thanks for the info guys. It gets freaking hot here in the Central Valley and my car is in the sun all day when I'm at work.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:35 PM   #8
Johnny1

Drives: Would only drive GM
Well heres another take on this. I just ordered my 2SS Camaro this morning. So I called the guy that has always tinted the windows on my vehicles and talked to him about it. He tinted my windows on my 2005 GTO when I had it. The owners manual said the same thing about not using metal tint. And at that time the same discussions were going around about interference with radio etc. And at that time it was a proven fact the only radio problems you might actually have is if you listened to am (who listens to that anymore) We put metal tint on the GTO all the way around including back window and never had any kind of problems what so ever. The fm on the radio worked just fine (xm wasn't available on the GTO"s) Plus since there was no problem the metal tint will never change colors or anything. Once you do it your done period. He said he's done several Camaros and its the same situation. No problems with anything working just fine, unless possibly your into am radio. And he said they are easy to tint and there is no problem with doing the 3rd. brake light that he just goes behind it. And he will charge only $125.00 because the Camaros are so easy to tint. I personally think he knows what he's talking about. So my new Camaro will have the metal tint on it just like my GTO had and look great and be looking the same in the future.
Johnny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:48 AM   #9
y2k10camaross

Drives: y2k SS, y2k10 2SS/RS
I had the same concerns with tinting my 2SS. With all the remote activated electronics I was worried that the metallic tint would interfer with one or more of the signals. I started looking at ceramic tint and ran accross this new tint from LLumar. It's LLumar Axcess. I had it installed on mine and everything works. I was told that the tire pressure sensors could easily be affected by matallic tint. Everything works as it did before the tint. I'm really happy with it and the way it looks. Below is the link if anyone is interested.

http://www.llumar-axcess.com/index.html
Old 11-25-2009, 08:03 AM   #10
Johnny1

Drives: Would only drive GM
No offense but metal tint isn't going to affect tire sensor monitors. And won't mess anything else up except possibly your am signal. Geesh! this is really getting out of control.
Johnny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:30 AM   #11
y2k10camaross

I really don't know...I'm not a subject matter expert. Many in the industry say it not only can but does affect signals...again...i don't know. I choose to go with the LLumar Axcess. I wasn't trying to twist anyones arm...use whatever you feel is the best for you.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:11 AM   #12
Gunmetal

Drives: Cyber Grey 1SS/RS w/Body Kit
I have been hearing good things about Ceramic tint
Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:26 AM   #13
y2k10camaross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal View Post
I have been hearing good things about Ceramic tint
As I said above I'm no expert on window film. This is a new product from LLumar. What they say is it's the best of both...matallic and ceramic. Appearantly the matallic particles are encased in cermaic...yes, thats way over my head but that supposedly gives the best from both and won't affect signal or signal strength. Again, I don't know. I used it. I'm happy with it and with a lifetime guarantee I'm sure it will outlast me. But then a quart of milk may outlast me.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:53 AM   #14
elpatofeo
LawBraker

...y2k10camaross, how much did it cost you?