Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 3rd Generation Camaros

Old 01-14-2015, 11:13 AM   #1
jakethecarguy95

Drives: 1992 rs camaro
v6 to v8 engine swap help

I have a 1992 rs. I found this car on the way to its death whn I was,15. Hadn't run in about a year. Paid,500 for it with a v6 In it. Now it runs and drives but I'm thinking about swapping over to a v8. Can someone just she'd some light on everything I will have to do an all that fun stuff thanks,!
jakethecarguy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:52 PM   #2
Obsessive Camaro Disorder

Drives: 69 Camaro and 92 RS
FYI, the V6 cars are perfectly balanced and with some suspension work would be a KILLER autoX car!

but i can't blame you for wanting some power. First question is what trans do you have?

Here are some links.
http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/
http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/engin...swap-read.html
http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/engine-swap/ <--should also have LS swap info.
Here's one for an LS swap kit, http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/82...tory-k-member/
If you can't find your answers in there, you won't find them.

Make sure you put some subframe connectors in if you put anything stock power or above under the hood.
If it's done cheap and fast, it isn't going to be good.
Obsessive Camaro Disorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:32 AM   #3
jakethecarguy95

Ik it was I,was,debating turboing it. But I think it's on its last leg at 200k in miles and,hadn't,run 6 months until I got it and,the 700r4
Old 01-15-2015, 10:45 AM   #4
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethecarguy95 View Post
I have a 1992 rs. I found this car on the way to its death whn I was,15. Hadn't run in about a year. Paid,500 for it with a v6 In it. Now it runs and drives but I'm thinking about swapping over to a v8. Can someone just she'd some light on everything I will have to do an all that fun stuff thanks,!
Honestly, not to be a jerk but, you'll need a good sized wallet, some extra patience, and a good amount of tools. Oh yea plenty of time to search the threads. On lighter note, I searched around for a decent guide for you, but came up empty handed.

What you'll want to do is, look at a V8 model and start taking the V6 parts off and adding the V8, to include...obciously ......the engine...... suspension, brakes, transmission, drivetrain, and possibly some sub-frame connectors.

Some question to help you along are, what kind of power plant are you looking to put in? An old school small block? a V8 of that gen? or a V8 of the current gen? That's going to govern what you'll want to use and or re-use. What are your power goals? Fuel system? FI or NA?

Most not all older gen camaros have typically the same formula, To do it the way I would do, you'll need suspension, chassis, shocks, struts, brakes, axels, drive shaft.....the list is longer, real question is what are you wanting to do other than drop an 8 into it? A little more input will help get you a lot farther along.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:18 AM   #5
jakethecarguy95

Okay let m ask this. I'm building,this,car for the track. Would I be better pulling the motor and Tranny out cleaning and,rebuilding. Wnd doing a turbo system
Old 01-15-2015, 11:19 AM   #6
jakethecarguy95

I was gonna swap it for a 305 small block from a 89 camaro. That I found running for 400
Old 01-15-2015, 12:20 PM   #7
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Really depends on your budget. Those are decisions that will need to be made by you, its up to you to determine how far you want to go. I would do some research on the availability (probably easy to find) of long blocks for what your looking to do and pricing, find something to fit what your after, secondly if your going turbo route then you may want to factor which kit to get also based on your decision of power plant.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:47 PM   #8

When you say "for the track" to me, i think of autoX or Road racing. You need to be more specific. If autoX/RR is your plan, i stand by what i said, build the suspension up and you will cause many v8 a lot of butthurt.

budget is a huge factor. spend your money wisely. I think your best bet for power is an LS swap. Great place to start on power and potential is outstanding. N/A, forced induction, or nitrous, however you want to go LS will do it! A 5.3L is fairly cheap and your stock v6 harness is fairly easy to integrate into the LS harness. If you price out an LS engine swap against an SBC build or crate motor it will price about the same. check it out. All the info I'm telling you is in those links I gave you.

Keep in mind these thirdgens are a great design for all types of racing but the way GM produced them EVERYTHING needs modified for power.

The body needs strengthened, subframe connectors are great even for stock cars. Other places will need beefed up as you gain power.

The rear diff (7.5" 10 bolt, used 82-02) is to weak. They are ticking time bombs for racing. Some last a long time. Some last a few miles. It will need modified or replaced. Best option is an aftermarket 9", 12 bolt, or strange s60. You don't have to do this right now, but just know that the day will come when you break that 10 bolt.

transmission, 700r4 is a pretty strong trans and like any part will treat you well up to a point. the factory 5 speed for the thirdgen is rated for 300 ft/lbs of torque so don't waste your time with one. If you go manual, go with a six speed. 93-97 LT1 six-speeds swap in with all the accessories (clutch, flywheel, etc). On this note, you want to get the torque arm off the transmission, at a certain point of power and traction, it will break the transmission tail housing and you'll be without a trans.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:04 PM   #9
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
If you are just trying to get it running right now, the 305 would be fine, but it is relatively anemic compared to a good 350 the will bolt in the same. The 305 won't get you much of a bump from the V6.

I have been through a few 3rd gens, it is relatively easy to swap a V8 into one, but you will need V8 accessories, motor mounts etc.

If going carbureted, it will also be quite a bit simpler than going fuel injected.

Here's a link to a good place to start.

http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/engin...swap-read.html

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:45 PM   #10

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/82...ed-drivetrain/
here are some more options. This would be a direct bolt in with wiring harness and ECM. I think you'll have to change your gauge cluster too for a v8. Make sure the input shaft on your trans will work with a v8 also. The answers will be in the links i posted above. It would be worth you while to install long tubes if you get a TPI motor. A 2500 stall would be a nice touch with an auto
Old 01-24-2015, 12:52 AM   #11
BigRedViking

Drives: 1987 IROC-Z 5.7L 2016 1SS M6 NGM
Send a message via Yahoo to BigRedViking
My '87 cost me thousands, and I could easily spend several more on the extra stuff that I want to do. LS swap is what I would do if I was going to do it over. That being said, another option is to get a suburban with the 454, 2 wheel drive, and take everything good, and take the rest and sell it for scrap metal. You would still need a better differential. Other stuff like motor mounts, headers, suspension, frame connectors on and on, it gets expensive. If you are going to spend the money, LS is the way to go, especially if you want to autocross. Donor vehicle is probably the best way to get most of the stuff that you need, like a express van 2500 with the 6.0 and 2 wheel drive. Hawks third generation sells all the specialty items, and has good technical support. They can put something together for you tpi, lt1, ls, take your pick. I spent years getting my project back on the road, and I have the forums to thank for all the knowledge, and encouragement. I'm very grateful for all the help, it felt so good to drive it again! Especially because it was a project that I started with my father who passed away , and he never got to, well, I think he was there.
BigRedViking is offline   Reply With Quote