Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 06-15-2010, 09:17 PM   #15
Yellojacket

Drives: 2SS/RS Inferno Orange
Where in MD are you? maybe one day i can bring my car past and you can check out my painted on stripes. I think paint is the only way to go...but it did cost $1200+ but they shop did a very good job.
Yellojacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:15 PM   #16
charwen4RS

Drives: 2010 6.2 H.O. SS/HP #002
I dropped mine at the dealer this morning for painted stripes.
charwen4RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:30 PM   #17
Musclebee

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Delivered on 4/23
Have painted on stripes, my husband did them at our body shop 2 days after we got the car. I love the painted on stripes would not have any but painted stripes.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:34 PM   #18
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
paint them!!
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2010, 06:49 AM   #19
papabearcamaro

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 Z71
Painted...Did not even consider vinyl after seeing a few cars on dealer lots that had vinyl stripes peeling.
Attached Images

SOLD(Traded for 2012 Silverado Z71 4x4 and 2012 Sonic Hatch.)...2010 Camaro 1SS/RS/LS3,yellow with House of Kolor Tangerine Pearl rally stripes,manual trans.Hurst short throw shifter,4 pack rally gauges,Roto-Fab air intake,Kooks long tube headers with high-flow cats,Borla S-Type catback exhaust,Comp Cam,PRC ported heads,Maggie with 3.6 pulley and 1:1 cog drive,secondary fuel system with 65lb injectors,ADM digital A/F and Boost gauge,Pfadt trailing arms and subframe bushings.614.25rwhp/566.82rwtq on 8# of boost.

2012 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 EX.Cab 4X4 Z71.
papabearcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:17 AM   #20
hot_rod

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Paint them....

Last edited by hot_rod; 12-07-2010 at 05:17 AM.
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:41 AM   #21
Richochet83

Drives: SIM 2LT Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellojacket View Post
Where in MD are you? maybe one day i can bring my car past and you can check out my painted on stripes. I think paint is the only way to go...but it did cost $1200+ but they shop did a very good job.
I'm in Upper Marlboro, MD. But damn $1200...If I pay that they better have my car picture perfect.
Richochet83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:25 PM   #22
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Like I said....Pros and Cons to both. You just have to weigh out the issues.

If you know your not going to change the color or style, know of a good painter, and are willing to spend $1,000 - $1,500 then I would go painted.

IMO...even vinyl needs to be put on by a professional. If done correctly and with good quality vinyl they shouldn't peel up. Worst case scenario if they did they should be able to be removed and re-done.

I like the idea of clear coating over the vinyl other than if for some reason you ever needed to have body work done then I'm sure it would be a PIA to try to remove the clear and vinyl. You would have to use a sander to go through the clear and surely it wouldn't be pretty to try to sand off vinyl.

I've already put on 3 coats of wax over my vinyl and I'll continue to wax at least once a year (I would do twice a year if mine sat outside). This should help protect the stripes from peeling, or fading, or cracking.

I've heard that the vinyl will fade way before cracking and obviously a solid light color like white or silver is not going to fade nearly as fast as a metalic dark color.

I think if you find a good vinyl guy you would be suprised at how well it can be done. I showed my painter (who normally charges $1,500 for stripes) my vinyl this last weekend when we were at a get together and he liked them so much that he wanted the vinyl guys number because he has plenty of cars that get vinyl work done.

With yours being an LT and not having the mail slot then you should be able to find someone that can add vinyl correctly. The mail slot is not easy and I had one guy who gets alot of praise around my area turn me down because he did not want to deal with the mail slot. I then found the guy that did mine and he had 3 other vinyl installers watch as he did my mail slot so that they could learn how to do them properly. To bad you're not in the DFW, TX area.

Here is one thing to consider though. If you do decide to go vinyl and for some reason you decide you didn't like it or that you wanted to go painted, you can have them removed and then painted. You will be out possibly $400 or so but you wouldn't be out nearly as much as painting them on.

Agian.....I paid $480 out the door for custom stripes over a mail slot, side gills, and visor covers.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:24 PM   #23
Jacqs
pinkcamaro.com for sale

Drives: 2010 Pink Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Jacqs Send a message via Yahoo to Jacqs
My paint job is $6500 and there was not a chance in hell I was going to put a vinyl sticker on the paint. I had mine painted on. Which enabled me a better variety of paint to get the right "look". I can't imagine that pink with any other sticker color on there. At the beginning they tried to persuade me to do vinyl - for simplicity - letting me know vinyl has come a long way. But I insisted.

The vinyl was put on by the dealership so I had them take that off the sticker since it wasn't something I really wanted. I wasn't charged for removing it either, all paint came off the car before the pink went on.