Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-01-2017, 04:56 PM   #15
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin14 View Post
JMO
All the cold air intakes you have mentioned take in more air than stock and to varying degrees will add some HP. I highlighted cold for a reason. A cold air intake system increases airflow by dropping the air coming into an engine to a lower temperature. Why is this important? As air gets colder, it gets denser. This means you get more oxygen within a smaller volume. More oxygen means more power.

This is why I went with the CAI brand and also installed the scoop. The enclosed box ensures I am always drawing air from outside the engine compartment.

Again JMO.
+1 on CAI with the scoop. Works like a charm.
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:27 PM   #16
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal Speedster View Post
?

It doesn't block the w/w. It has a lid over it to insulate the intake and reduce heat soak/keep IAT's down. The transparent filter inspection lid is attached with three ¼-turn fasteners and can be removed in ~30 seconds. Should you need to access the w/w bottle, filter, or anything else located inside the box, you could access it with complete ease using a flathead screwdriver.
Thank you for the great description and clarification!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:57 AM   #17
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Have you considered / and taken in to account the decision the Z28 Engineers made when designing the CAI for Camaro and that Chevy is now offering as an Option on the SS?
I picked mine up cheap from someone parting out from a Camaro. I have complete faith that the Z28 Engineers put more than enough R&D in to this and would not settle for 2nd best as they were smashing records on the Nürburgring ;-)
Attached Images

2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:09 AM   #18
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
You obviously have not read the ancient comparisons..LOL and only one comes with a ceramic coated tube not plastic that has a optional scoop to deliver cold air to box and looks awesome with lights ... OR YOU COULD GO PLASTIC..........
Old 08-03-2017, 07:18 AM   #19
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
I have a C.A.I. unit, it does alright. The reason I went with this was simple, a local guy sold it to me for like $130. The only real con to this unit is that the intake tube is metal. How much that effects the air temp at the manifold, I'm not sure.

The Vararam is the most interesting in that with the OTR design, it has the most direct path. Also when traveling at speed, it appears that may give that forced air effect. The two concerns I have are that the actual air inlet area looks to be smaller than what the cone filters will allow, which may or may not be compensated by the direct path. Also that the radiator must be reclined a bit to install. I would be concerned that this may effect coolant temps, maybe enough the negate the effectiveness of the intake?

However, I think at the end of the day, all of these are within inches of each other on a stock engine. The stock engine will only demand so much air, and all of these seem to pretty much allow all the air that the engine is asking for. The real difference in them comes to play when you start making the engine pull more air, either through more valve lift or larger cylinder displacement.

So, it would appear to me, that on a stock engine, there are enough trade offs between these that it really doesn't matter which one you choose.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:07 PM   #20
Joe14SS

Drives: 2014 1SS
I've had both the Air Raid and the Vararam intakes. I bought my car used and it already had the Air Raid on it (which is currently for sale!), but I changed out to the Vararam about 8 months ago. At the time the Vararam setup was newer to the 14-15 Camaro's and there has always been a lot of hype around these. I'll admit, I like the Vararam better, but during install it has you remove some of the plastic in the front of the engine, which helps it pull in more air. I've heard of some people modifying their Air Raid system and putting a scoop underneath it and having excellent results. Just depends what you want.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:37 PM   #21
Buschman

Drives: 2018 ZL1 2015 1SS 1LE
Don't forget going with CAI supports a Michigan business. Local and made in the USA makes a huge difference to me!

Buschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:48 PM   #22
Talladega

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe14SS View Post
I've had both the Air Raid and the Vararam intakes. I bought my car used and it already had the Air Raid on it (which is currently for sale!), but I changed out to the Vararam about 8 months ago. At the time the Vararam setup was newer to the 14-15 Camaro's and there has always been a lot of hype around these. I'll admit, I like the Vararam better, but during install it has you remove some of the plastic in the front of the engine, which helps it pull in more air. I've heard of some people modifying their Air Raid system and putting a scoop underneath it and having excellent results. Just depends what you want.
Thanks Joe, that's the feedback I was looking for someone who has had multiple intakes or someone who hates the one they have, after all that's the most honest feedback you will ever get.
Talladega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:51 PM   #23
Talladega

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
Have you considered / and taken in to account the decision the Z28 Engineers made when designing the CAI for Camaro and that Chevy is now offering as an Option on the SS?
I picked mine up cheap from someone parting out from a Camaro. I have complete faith that the Z28 Engineers put more than enough R&D in to this and would not settle for 2nd best as they were smashing records on the Nürburgring ;-)
I agree with everything you say 100% but at $470 it's more than I want to spend.
Talladega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:35 PM   #24
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
Its not sold on here by any sponsors so it doesnt get mentioned alot. But members have dynoed it and it with great results while looking oem.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:47 PM   #25
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebonn View Post
Out of all you posted I was interested in them as well when I bought mine but I went with Rotofab because it just looks sweet as heck under the hood and mine was painted to match the car.

Really it just depends on the look you want I have never been the one that likes a box closed looks much better open. depends on the theme your planning under the hood. For me it's going to be all Rotofab items I just think they look good.
Thanks for your input! We greatly appreciate your business and support.
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:50 PM   #26
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
Rotofab
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Out of the three you listed, Vararam is excellent, but more involved installation. You have to tilt the radiator back to install it, not for the faint of heart. CAI is a very good brand and should be rather simple to install. No, they don't give you the washer fluid relocate, but it's not the end of the world if you don't have it. I would personally skip the Airraid and go straight to Roto-fab. That's what I'm currently running on my car and it is the second car I've installed one on. They're excellent and seal exceptionally well against the hood to keep the engine heat out. Good luck in your decision and happy modding!
Thanks guys! Can't go wrong with a Roto-fab CAI

We appreciate your business and support!

Michael
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:42 PM   #27
go_go_gadget88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM 6M
I went with rotofab because I like the looks/design, and all the reviews were positive! Also, because one popped up for sale on the classifieds for like half the price of a new one.

It cleaned up to looking almost new. I just need to see if I can get a new sticker for it. The one they come with had been removed, so it's currently unbranded. :(
go_go_gadget88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:06 PM   #28
siriusdish

Drives: 2010 Camaro L99
Switched the airaid to the Vararam. airaid was getting to hot.
vararam intake, Vmax TB,Vmax Intake,TSP VVT 3 Cam,TSP underdrive pulley,Yank 3600,TM Cooler,ARH 2", High Flow cats, X-pipe, GM Pro mufflers, RX Catch Can,160 stat, BMR Trailing,toe,Cradle insert, Diff. Bushings, End links, Spohn-LCA's (Touring)Wheel spacer's. 422 rwhp Mustang Dyno http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaFNAhCL7Os
siriusdish is offline   Reply With Quote