Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #15
jaysonstuart

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
Anyone else compare back-to-back driving a v8 vs a v6? Notice the snap and seemingly effortless pull of the v8 vs v6? OMG, I've been struck by the v8 virus, LOL

I was already looking into supercharging, LOL. After seeing the prices, hellz no.

sticking to TB, perhaps Solo Mach upgrade, and a Trifecta tune to make it come alive some---guess that's what it needs. Feels kind of sluggish compared to v8, and perhaps its due to gearing as well.
True dat! I drove a V6 then the SS at the dealer and after driving the SS the V6 was was nothing but a distant memory!
Old 07-04-2012, 10:05 PM   #16
Yohan

Drives: 2012 Camaro V6 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleGreen View Post
Put it in 'M', run it up to 4000RPM or better and pinch 'er to the floor. It'll jerk you head. Well, a little anyway, LOL.

I'd buy some stuff for my car but I'm too cheap. I wouldn't mind a CAI and a Magnaflow but that's a lot of dimes.
Got my CAI kit already, and it does improve a bit of throttle response 1st-3rd, and nice growl, too.

Will have to try the "M" setting and see if indeed it improves some
Old 07-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #17
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Quote:
Got my CAI kit already, and it does improve a bit of throttle response 1st-3rd, and nice growl, too.

Will have to try the "M" setting and see if indeed it improves some
You'll only get the real fun using the paddles but for normal driving I almost always pull it all the way back to M so it'll drag the shifts out a little more. Helps keep the little guy from bogging itself down so fast.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #18
Yohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonstuart View Post
True dat! I drove a V6 then the SS at the dealer and after driving the SS the V6 was was nothing but a distant memory!
Should have done that myself

Since i was coming from driving a stinkin Civic, I thought the v6 323hp would be a beast, and with great mpg= no brainer.

However, after driving my 1LT for 6 weeks and comparing vs wife's SUV V8, the weight of 5th gen Camaros seems to better fit the v8 power to pull "effortlessly". For the v6, it needs a torque upgrade, at least, and that = $$$
Old 07-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #19
Yohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleGreen View Post
Helps keep the little guy from bogging itself down so fast.
I think that's a good description, "bogging". It seems to have a little lag, and needs improved 1st-3rd response. On HWY, accelerating from 50mph to 70-80mph is "effortless" and fun. It just needs improvements accelerating from from dead stop through 4th, I guess.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #20
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Horsepower is for racing. Daily driving needs torque. Drive a newer diesel, and you'll really understand.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #21
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
You have to keep in perspective 1/4 mile times are NOT that far off on most any modern car. Hell my 2010 Traverse with a intake has run a 16.02 1/4 and it weighs well over 5,000lbs with the tow package. That is only 2.8 seconds slower than my SS ran in stock form.

From a racing standpoint that is an eternity. But, in real time think about it. by about the time you can count to two and a half my gigantic SUV is crossing the line after me.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:34 PM   #22
06_warrior

Drives: 2012 1SS LS3 M6 black on black :)
When getting my Camaro i went back and forth on V6 or V8. I put down enough money to get either one. When i test drove the V6 it was plenty fast and did everything i needed it to do and did it well. I just couldn't justify the higher insurance premium or the gas milage the V8 got.

The only thing i wish i had gotten the V8 for was the sound. I love the sound of a V8 engine especially a V8 cammed engine.

Since i've bought my car in April i've bought a bunch of exterior body parts and lights etc. Just needing a nice set of rims and tires and the car will look exactly the way i want it to.

So what i'm saying is that the V6 Camaro looks awesome especially if you get a few exterior mods to make it to your own taste and is fast enough to hold it's own. Be happy with the car you got without having to upgrade and go more into debt.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #23
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Daveagogo made a good point.

My 2005 5.3L Silverado was more reponsive on the bottom end, evening being a crew cab with 31" tall tires and it didn't have to rev very hard.

However, that truck the way it sat would have been very lucky to run the 1/4 at much under 17 seconds. That's 2.5 seconds slower than the Camaro. That's a significant ass kicking in the racing world, lol.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #24
BlueChev

Drives: 2012 SS/RS Convertible
When we were ready to shop for a Camaro, it was going to be my wife's decision because it would be her daily driver. She insisted she didn't need the V8 - she felt the V6 would have sufficient power and it boasts great mpg. This was about 2 months ago and was based on short test drives at the dealership.
Well, we had a couple different LT's for lengthy test drives (one overnight and the second for almost a week) and then we came across a great deal on a new 2011 SS from a dealership 100 miles away - we almost bought it...had it for 3 or 4 days and she fell in love with the power. In the end though, our local dealership came up with the best deal on a 2012 using USAA pricing and cutting his profits very thin.
IMO there is no comparison between the two for the head snapping power. We weren't buying a Camaro for gas mileage!! She's living the PermaGrin experience.

It's better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:53 PM   #25
Yohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_warrior View Post
When getting my Camaro i went back and forth on V6 or V8. I put down enough money to get either one. When i test drove the V6 it was plenty fast and did everything i needed it to do and did it well. I just couldn't justify the higher insurance premium or the gas milage the V8 got.

The only thing i wish i had gotten the V8 for was the sound. I love the sound of a V8 engine especially a V8 cammed engine.

So what i'm saying is that the V6 Camaro looks awesome especially if you get a few exterior mods to make it to your own taste and is fast enough to hold it's own. Be happy with the car you got without having to upgrade and go more into debt.
Agreed. Gotta treat this v8 bug as the flu---sleep it off, and never drive wife's v8 SUV, LOL.

However, will have to work on a few upgrades to make it more responsive on low end. Just cannot stand the bit of lag after testing the v8 suv, and imagining the feel of an SS, LOL.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #26
Yohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChev View Post
When we were ready to shop for a Camaro, it was going to be my wife's decision because it would be her daily driver. She insisted she didn't need the V8 - she felt the V6 would have sufficient power and it boasts great mpg. This was about 2 months ago and was based on short test drives at the dealership.
Well, we had a couple different LT's for lengthy test drives (one overnight and the second for almost a week) and then we came across a great deal on a new 2011 SS from a dealership 100 miles away - we almost bought it...had it for 3 or 4 days and she fell in love with the power. In the end though, our local dealership came up with the best deal on a 2012 using USAA pricing and cutting his profits very thin.
IMO there is no comparison between the two for the head snapping power. We weren't buying a Camaro for gas mileage!! She's living the PermaGrin experience.

It's better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.
You're killing me, man. Trying to recover from the V8 bug bite, and tricking my mind that I actually have a v8, LOL. Not working so far, but gotta get over this bug----did u say , Perma Grin?
Old 07-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #27
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Quote:
Agreed. Gotta treat this v8 bug as the flu---sleep it off, and never drive wife's v8 SUV, LOL.

However, will have to work on a few upgrades to make it more responsive on low end. Just cannot stand the bit of lag after testing the v8 suv, and imagining the feel of an SS, LOL.
If your looking for head snapping then you seriously will also need to add mods or you will be very depressed. The 5th gen SS does not have that head snapping kick to it. It has plenty of power but, it's a quiet and refined smooth power. The manual can give a little more kick but not much.

Don't get me wrong they get up and move but, you won't be bouncing your head off the headrest in stock form.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:50 AM   #28
'11CamaroLS

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
instead of putting 2k down and paying 150 a month more in payments you can put a nos kit on your v6. then you get the good gas mileage and such but when you need it to be nasty its only a switch away LOL. go on a little race with your wife, give her a little head start even, the suprise the hell out of her when your spraying and flying by her lol

Closed Thread