Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-27-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Halltech Yellow Jacket + ADM Race Scoop = Done

I finally came up with an idea for a washer bottle, thanks to Number_9, so I was able to add an ADM Race scoop with my Halltech.

I went looking for a water bottle and ended up finding one at Walmart in their bicyle section. It is designed to go on a bike so it came with a holder. It was just under $9….but it did say Schwinn on it.

I then went to Lowes and bought a hose fitting and a nut. Well…they don’t have a nut for a hose fitting so I ended up buying a cap and then cut off the end of it with a dremel tool. I spent about $5 on those parts. I then drilled a whole in the bottle (starting off with a small whole and then increasing in size). I used a washer and a rubber seal. I tried a few combinations but ultimately I ended up with Fitting, Washer, Seal on the bottom and then a Seal, Washer, Nut on the inside.

I went to an Auto Parts store and picked up some vacuum/washer bottle hose for about $4. My total of parts came to about $20.

I mounted it the bottle bracket to the positive cable bracket inside the fender well. I had an extra 10mm bolt/lock washer/nut combo that I used. It was a little tricky to get a drill in there. Not a lot of room to work with but I eventually got it. I also used a couple zip ties to help hold it into place a little more.

Over this weekend I plan to take the cap off of the OEM washer bottle and JB Weld it to the lid of the new washer bottle. That should give it more of a factory look. The cap is almost an exact fit. I’ll have to do a little sanding to make the top flat but that shouldn’t be any big deal.

I might go back and paint the bottle black. I'm going to see what it looks like with then OEM lid first.
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
caverman

I took a trip over to ADM and picked up the Race Scoop yesterday. It’s a nice piece. If you buy one you should also ask Andy about the hose clamp to hold the water pump on with. He said they sold them at Home Depot but when I was at Lowes buying my other parts I couldn’t find anything like it and the helpers there were……no help.
You just follow the instructions he gives you which were a combination of these two threads.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90068
http://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=27037

The only thing that was even remotely tricky was getting a dremel tool in there to cut it nice and neat….which it doesn’t have to be perfect. There is probably a better bit for the job but all I had was the round cut-off blades.

Definitely take out the fender well. It’s easy and gives you a lot more room to work with.
I just got it on last night so I haven’t been able to get a lot of seat time with it just yet but as you can see in the pictures there is no way this can’t significantly help. The washer bottle really blocks a lot of the air coming into the intake area.

I have basically $100 in everything with the mod….that includes the washer bottle. This is definitely a must do mod for those that have a CAI that use the front fender well area to pick up air from.

The Halltech was one of the better performing CAIs on Jannety's test. I would love to have seen it go up against the others with the ADM Scoop installed. Unfortunately I wasn't able to do a before/after on a dyno but again....I can't see how this can't be a huge improvement.

The first pic shows the CAI with the water bottle in the way. The next ones show what it looks like now.
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 01-27-2011, 09:44 AM   #3
caverman

You can see this in the other threads but thought I would post it here as well. This is what you cut out to get the fresh air and also a pic from the front of the scoop that is right behind the grill.
Attached Images

Build Journal
Old 01-27-2011, 09:47 AM   #4
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Awesome! Very nice work.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
Mark Myles

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM / Silver Stripes
Nice write up and pics!

M
Mark Myles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #6
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Nice write up caverman. Car is really coming along.

Question for ya, with the addition of both the ADM scoop and the TB are you going to have to retune? I would think that with all the additional air it might affect your A/F ratio. But I am no expert so what are your thoughts?

I have been following this closely 'cause I am thinking, money permitting, that these could be my next upgrades.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:43 AM   #7
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post
Nice write up caverman. Car is really coming along.

Question for ya, with the addition of both the ADM scoop and the TB are you going to have to retune? I would think that with all the additional air it might affect your A/F ratio. But I am no expert so what are your thoughts?

I have been following this closely 'cause I am thinking, money permitting, that these could be my next upgrades.

T.
Thnaks....

I think it wouldn't hurt but not sure it's 100% needed either. Probably a little tweaking might sweeze an extra HP or so out of it.

I'm no expert either but from my understanding the computer can make slight A/F adjustments. My bet is that it can make enough of an adjustment to take care of it.

I asked Andy @ ADM if a re-tune would be needed with the scoop and he said it would not be needed.

Also talking with SC2150 about a re-tune with the ported TB he said it wouldn't be needed either. It wouldn't hurt to have it but not needed.

So...my guess that since I already had a tune for my headers the computer should pick up the little bit of slack that the extra air giving.

I might run it by Andy though and see what he says. I'll post up any info I get.
Build Journal
Old 01-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #8
thesnoopster

Drives: '17 Fifty SS - '18 Traverse Redline
Hey that looks nice! Good Job! ...Simple yet neat!
Old 01-27-2011, 03:55 PM   #9
navyblueSS

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Nice write up, I plan on ordering the ADM scoop for mine soon.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:05 PM   #10
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
Nice job man!
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #11
GMRULZ

Drives: 2010 SS & 2008 C6
Looks great buddy! If you have a scan tool, check out your IAT`s while driving around, mine stay between ambient and 1 to 2 degrees above ambient w/ my ADM race intake and scoop.
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..
GMRULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:47 PM   #12
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMRULZ View Post
Looks great buddy! If you have a scan tool, check out your IAT`s while driving around, mine stay between ambient and 1 to 2 degrees above ambient w/ my ADM race intake and scoop.
No.....no scan tools. Sent you a PM.
Build Journal
Old 01-27-2011, 09:56 PM   #13
caverman

I just went back and looked at Janetty's spreadsheet. If you look at the CAI brand without the ADM Scoop the Yellow Jacket was right with it in some places and better in others. Then look at the difference it made by adding the ADM Scoop to the CAI. I'm guessing the Yellow Jacket with an ADM Scoop should perform ever bit as well as the CAI w/ADM Scoop.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...ZNVI5aVE&hl=en
Build Journal
Old 01-28-2011, 07:18 AM   #14
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
I just went back and looked at Janetty's spreadsheet. If you look at the CAI brand without the ADM Scoop the Yellow Jacket was right with it in some places and better in others. Then look at the difference it made by adding the ADM Scoop to the CAI. I'm guessing the Yellow Jacket with an ADM Scoop should perform ever bit as well as the CAI w/ADM Scoop.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...ZNVI5aVE&hl=en
I would have to agree with you. Having a huge box around the filter is nice, but having better access to unrestricted outside of the engine bay air, even better. There are likely gains to be had just from removing the bottle. For just daily driving and playing around, I wonder how much benefit there is adding the scoop if the bottle is already out? Or if there is a difference, if it's dectectable without instruments gauging?

Either way, you have it all optimized.

Edit: Just looked at the graphs. It would be nice if Ted would stack the CAI with, and CAI without, so it easier to see the differences. Oh and with thinner lines to show better separation. Interesting to see the difference in timing at comparable rpm, CAI, CAI/scoop, and Halltech.

She is only memory now.

Last edited by IndeedSS1; 01-28-2011 at 07:32 AM.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote