Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-06-2015, 02:13 PM   #1
69Tom

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS/RS
strut failure

OK, I've gotten tired of my car sounding like it is completely bottoming out (or there's no air in my tires, take your pick) when I go over nominal bumps in the road. As I'm sure happens in most states, there's always the transition of sections of the road that are asphalt vs concrete that lip up. Whenever I go over these things, it makes the loudest, harshest thud. Based on what I've read, there's a rebound issue with my struts. At least that's what I am assuming happens.

I've read about people's issues. I just want to know what to expect before I take it into the dealer. Do they replace the struts? If they're replacing with the exact same struts, is this going to happen again?

Thanks in advance.
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:52 PM   #2
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
I have had a similar experience a couple times on what appears to be the left front and once on the right front. I have only encountered it going over speed bumps at low speeds. It sound and feels terrible when it happens, I assume it is what you are saying, strut rebound type of issue. I never know when it will happen in my car so the dealer would probably spend forever trying to duplicate it unless there is a service bulletin out on the issue.
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:56 PM   #3
mrebusa

Drives: 14' 2SS 1LE
I have had the same thing happen a couple times, sends me through the roof. Keep me posted what your dealer says, I may have to set an appointment and take it over as well.

Soon:
mrebusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:52 PM   #4
rfopt

Drives: 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
I have the same random issue. I made a thread in the Gen 5 general forum asking if 5 Gen SS cars have this issue and most of the people that responded felt that I'm confusing the stiffer than average suspension the 1LE with actually bottoming out. I'm not confusing the two, IMO. I've owned a few stiff riding cars and typically I could tell when the car bottomed out.

On this 1LE there were a few times when I hit a very big bump and didn't get the feeling of bottoming out and other times I've hit small bumps that caused the suspension to crash when it shouldn't have, IMO. One time on the highway the crash was so bad it sounded like the cowl/windshield was going to crack into pieces.
rfopt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:14 AM   #5
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
It's a track car, not a grocery getter...that's how the suspension responds.

Had my 13 for EXACTLY 68 miles when I hit the SAME rough patch on the way to work....the SAME route...and the same bad patch I had driven the week prior in my 10 SS. Not that a DUH moment clicked in for me...but I did say DAMN!

I highly doubt strut(s) broke...unless you really tweaked the car somehow.
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:28 AM   #6
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
OP...

I see that you live in Phoenix..where it's dry and over 100 degrees right now.

Here is my suggestion.

Ambient outside temperatures as well as road surface temperatures have a huge impact on tire pressure. You need to check your tire pressure halfway through your longest average daily trip. I am guessing that you are well above 38 to 40 PSI which is WAY too much! I would say start off at 31/32 PSI cold (night) and see how high the pressures raise throughout the day.

I detailed car in April and store tires at 40 PSI. I lowered them back to 32 when it was 70 outside. That night, cold front came through and was 40 outside. tire pressure went down to 28/29. A week later, (no miles on car) temps were high 80's and tire pressure was 36.

If you fill tires to 36 then drive in Phoenix, hot tire pressures will exceed 40/42 PSI and this car will feel like you are riding on bowling balls.

I HIGHLY suggest everyone look at their HOT tire pressures after 30 minutes of driving and make sure you are not exceeding 34/35 PSI.

Goodyear/GM suggested COLD tire pressure is 32 PSI.
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:53 PM   #7
69Tom

My tire pressure seems to be right around the suggested 32.

I haven't done any damage to my car--haven't hit any major holes in the road or anything like that. If that's the way our suspension responds, then that's the way it responds. I just had thought I read some other people had issues with their struts, hence my question.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:23 PM   #8
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
OP...

I see that you live in Phoenix..where it's dry and over 100 degrees right now.

Here is my suggestion.

Ambient outside temperatures as well as road surface temperatures have a huge impact on tire pressure. You need to check your tire pressure halfway through your longest average daily trip. I am guessing that you are well above 38 to 40 PSI which is WAY too much! I would say start off at 31/32 PSI cold (night) and see how high the pressures raise throughout the day.

I detailed car in April and store tires at 40 PSI. I lowered them back to 32 when it was 70 outside. That night, cold front came through and was 40 outside. tire pressure went down to 28/29. A week later, (no miles on car) temps were high 80's and tire pressure was 36.

If you fill tires to 36 then drive in Phoenix, hot tire pressures will exceed 40/42 PSI and this car will feel like you are riding on bowling balls.

I HIGHLY suggest everyone look at their HOT tire pressures after 30 minutes of driving and make sure you are not exceeding 34/35 PSI.

Goodyear/GM suggested COLD tire pressure is 32 PSI.
This isn't about tire pressure. This is about a lack of rebound dampening in the front struts causing the struts to expand rapidly when the wheel "falls off" a very small bump in the road. The high spring rate smashes the strut fully open which can be physically felt from the drivers seat because the forces are transferred through the shock mounts. It sounds and feels like its coming from the corners of the windshield because that's where the shock mounts are.

And I don't think that the struts are broken either, I think it's a valving/oil-viscosity issue. First clue is that there is no oil leaking from my struts that I can see. Second clue is that I drove my 1LE all through this winter and one thing I noticed is that the issue went away as the temps the dropped and came back again as the temps rose up as we pulled into Summer. This indicates that the higher viscosity of cooler oil increased the rebound dampening enough that I never felt the "crash" that I can feel when the ambient is much warmer.

I'll be scheduling an appointment with my service department soon to have them take a look now that it's nice and hot outside. Did anyone else notice the problem go away (in my case, almost completely once the weather dips below 50 degrees) with an ambient temperature drop?
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:25 PM   #9
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
It's a track car, not a grocery getter...that's how the suspension responds.

Had my 13 for EXACTLY 68 miles when I hit the SAME rough patch on the way to work....the SAME route...and the same bad patch I had driven the week prior in my 10 SS. Not that a DUH moment clicked in for me...but I did say DAMN!

I highly doubt strut(s) broke...unless you really tweaked the car somehow.
I've had vehicles MUCH stiffer than this 1LE, and the sound we're talking about has NOTHING to do with it being a track car. I've been in a fully prepped race car that wouldn't sound/feel like that on hitting a bump.

This is a rebound issue and the shock "topping out" (for lack of better term).
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:33 PM   #10
69Tom

Billy, I agree with your assessment. I've driven other very "stiff" suspension cars, and I've never heard what I'm hearing now in mine.

I just made an appointment with my Chevy dealer for this Sat. They said they'll have to keep the car most of the day. That's fine by me provided they solve the issue. I'll keep you guys posted as to what they come up with.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:43 PM   #11
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
Sub'd
Interested in the outcome, mine acts similarly. No degrade in handling, just the abrupt noise
Old 07-07-2015, 04:05 PM   #12
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I had the same thing, when the suspension would unload going over a bump/rise in the road it sounded like it was bottoming out(or in my case topping out) I took it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything. Well it drove me crazy and i finally found a place by the dealer where i could duplicate what was happening. I took the service manager for a ride and he felt and heard it. It wasn't til they actually took the strut off and found that it didn't rebound. They replaced it and has been fine for two years now.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:15 PM   #13
69Tom

Ah, there we go. Thanks. I'll make a note to tell the service manager about this.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:26 PM   #14
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Tom View Post
Ah, there we go. Thanks. I'll make a note to tell the service manager about this.