Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-01-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
cat back question

I am thinking about picking up a cat back or axel back system. To do either of these two does on ehave to cut the stock exhaust?

Didn't know if it was held together by clamps or if it was one piece.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
no one has an answer? hell, there's people doing exhaust here left and right.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
I think they are cut just behind the CATS and the rest of the installation is clamp. I don't have confirmation on that but that's what I have gathered from several pics on the site.

Here's another CAT-back question:

Is it true that the "X" pipe configuration is where the raspy exhaust sound comes from when revving? I don't like raspy which is why I was going to keep the "H" pipe from the factory and just do axle back. Is this correct or am I way off?
Old 07-03-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
Jason 98 TA

Drives: Camaro
The catback systems are the setups that are adding rwhp to cars. We've seen time & time again the muffler removal doesn't seem to offer any good gains worth talking about. The advantage to the complete 3" catback is you'll get bigger tubing & a redesigned center section complete with x pipe. Look for the TSP Rumbler 5 catback to be ready very soon & priced similar to other companies axle back kits!!
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:09 AM   #5
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA View Post
The catback systems are the setups that are adding rwhp to cars. We've seen time & time again the muffler removal doesn't seem to offer any good gains worth talking about. The advantage to the complete 3" catback is you'll get bigger tubing & a redesigned center section complete with x pipe. Look for the TSP Rumbler 5 catback to be ready very soon & priced similar to other companies axle back kits!!
Every Cat-back system I have ever heard put on the 2010 Camaro has been real raspy and pops a lot...almost like the old fashioned glass pack Cherry bombs. Some say the rasp and pops come from the type mufflers installed but I just don't buy that at this point. I'm inclined to say that the H-pipe config. promotes a deeper, less raspy tone, therefore, I'm going to stick with it. Not all that interested in pulling even more HP. If that happens with the mods I do, then great. Sound means a lot to me, moreso than I originally thought actually.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:10 AM   #6
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Here's some pics... pretty easy removal...http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29401