Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
crangie

Drives: Camaro ZL1 #641
ZL1 Gingerman Experience- Pics and Video Heavy!

This is my experience I had the past weekend while attending the 3balls racing event at Gingerman Raceway

Name:  Tire Rack tower.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  136.3 KB

Preperation:
As usual, before any track day, I take my car to Rodgers Chevrolet to make the necessary fluid changes and for let them check the car thru. This time I gave my Z a special treat in form of Pedders SS Brake Lines and Castrol SRF Brake fluid.
I was considering to change the front tires as I have them used already at 6 track days, but the tire tread was still above the wear indicator and besides the usual bald shoulders they looked good.

Name:  Tire before.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  117.5 KB

Day 1 Saturday:
Against the forecast it was a beautiful morning in the high 60's. As recommended in the GM video i dialed in the tire pressure at 28 psi cold. The track was a little bit damp in the first session, but no issue for the car in PTM 2. I stayed in the first session in PTM 2 as this was only my 3rd time at Gingerman and i wanted to keep it slow in the beginning.

On my second session I switched to PTM 3 for the first lap and went then up to PTM 4 for the remainder of the session.
I actually had my best lap time in this session. 1:48.30. Far away from Mark Stielow's 1:42.05 not that bad for an amateur though.

Name:  best lap time.PNG
Views: 692
Size:  109.2 KB
Name:  best lap graph.PNG
Views: 708
Size:  80.7 KB

Unfortunately though this was my last complete lap for that day as during the next lap while turning in turn 5 the car suddenly lost traction and ran off track spinning.
*I actually had videos of that day, buy unfortunately I deleted them by mistake*.

I could drive back on the track easily, but there was smoke all around me.

Back in the pit lane i could easily find out what happened:

Name:  Tire after 1.jpg
Views: 1740
Size:  141.2 KB

Name:  Tire after 2.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  124.2 KB

Maybe I should have changed the fronts .

I contacted Onstar if they could locate a dealership, although very helpful they couldn't locate any tires in a 100 mile radius on Saturday afternoon. This tires are impossible to get as neither dealerships nor Goodyear Auto Service keeps them in Stock.

As the tire kept the pressure I decided to call it a day and drive home. I was pretty pissed as I paid for the whole weekend and i was looking forward for this event for months.

I just left Gingerman, as i tried to give it a last shot and called our beloved
Name:  Becky.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  84.1 KB
BeckyD.

As I actually knew that she signed up for Sunday I wanted to let her know that i won't be there, but secretly hoped she had maybe some idea where to get tires from.

Not even 15 min after I talked to her I got a call from Gerry the Service Manager at Rodgers. He told me that he has 2 front tires with only a couple of hundred miles on them.

200 miles later and half an hour before closing time I experienced pit crew performance at Rodgers. Within half an hour my new tires got mounted and balanced, car checked, brakes and even Gerry was hands on removing grass leaves from my radiator and Heat exchanger.
Name:  Gerry.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  116.0 KB

Name:  Tire bal1.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  152.2 KB

Name:  ready to go.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  185.4 KB

At 4.05 pm I was already back on my way back to South Haven.

At this point I would like to thank again Becky, Gerry and the Rodgers team for their great performance and far beyond outstanding customer service.

Day 2 Sunday:

Sunday was great lots of driving and great company. BeckyD and Dropspeed

Name:  BeckyCrang1.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  251.4 KB

Here some videos of the first sessions:

Dropspeed has a good thread in the 1LE forum of his experience. He proofed to me again that a faster car doesn't make you a faster driver ( see video)

As part of the event you could weigh your car. I always wanted to know ow heavy my girl is.

Name:  Weigh in.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  106.3 KB

4097lbs is a lot, but I expected more. What everyone was surprised of was how perfectly balanced the car is. Good Job GM.

The weather changed quickly in the afternoon, so after a wash

Name:  All3rain2.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  223.8 KB

I could finally test drive my Z for the first time on a wet track

It was actually better than expected. Not as fast as the AWD Porsche though. The tires were missing grip at corner exit and with PTM 1 the nannies were working all the time to keep the car on track.
crangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
MrDew

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #165
Wow, what a cool report! Looks like you had a blast!

What program do you use that tracks all these information?
MrDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
crangie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDew View Post
Wow, what a cool report! Looks like you had a blast!

What program do you use that tracks all these information?
Gruezi!

I used Harrys lap timer on my Iphone toegether with an OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter and an external GPS. http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Home.html.

Actually the first time I used it. So by mistake I deleted all the video's of the first day.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
jbotta

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Awesome vids, And wow those tires. Glad to see becky having fun out there. Most important, You and the z are both ok and that becky,s shop took care of you.
jbotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
jbotta

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crangie View Post
Gruezi!

I used Harrys lap timer on my Iphone toegether with an OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter and an external GPS. http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Home.html.

Actually the first time I used it. So by mistake I deleted all the video's of the first day.
I really like the guage layout, Does harry's timer work somehow with the gopro, I would like to try it. Or does it hook up to a garmin gps, Really looks awesome.
jbotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
crangie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbotta View Post
I really like the guage layout, Does harry's timer work somehow with the gopro, I would like to try it. Or does it hook up to a garmin gps, Really looks awesome.
Harrys Laptimer works also with the Gopro. To see the gauge you need an OBD2 Adapter. It sounds complicated, but it's easy plug and play
Old 07-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by crangie View Post
This is my experience I had the past weekend while attending the 3balls racing event at Gingerman Raceway

Preperation:
As usual, before any track day, I take my car to Rodgers Chevrolet to make the necessary fluid changes and for let them check the car thru. This time I gave my Z a special treat in form of Pedders SS Brake Lines and Castrol SRF Brake fluid.
I was considering to change the front tires as I have them used already at 6 track days, but the tire tread was still above the wear indicator and besides the usual bald shoulders they looked good.

Day 1 Saturday:
Against the forecast it was a beautiful morning in the high 60's. As recommended in the GM video i dialed in the tire pressure at 28 psi cold. The track was a little bit damp in the first session, but no issue for the car in PTM 2. I stayed in the first session in PTM 2 as this was only my 3rd time at Gingerman and i wanted to keep it slow in the beginning.

On my second session I switched to PTM 3 for the first lap and went then up to PTM 4 for the remainder of the session.
I actually had my best lap time in this session. 1:48.30. Far away from Mark Stielow's 1:42.05 not that bad for an amateur though.

Unfortunately though this was my last complete lap for that day as during the next lap while turning in turn 5 the car suddenly lost traction and ran off track spinning.

*I actually had videos of that day, buy unfortunately I deleted them by mistake*.

I could drive back on the track easily, but there was smoke all around me.

Back in the pit lane i could easily find out what happened:

Maybe I should have changed the fronts .

I contacted Onstar if they could locate a dealership, although very helpful they couldn't locate any tires in a 100 mile radius on Saturday afternoon. This tires are impossible to get as neither dealerships nor Goodyear Auto Service keeps them in Stock.

As the tire kept the pressure I decided to call it a day and drive home. I was pretty pissed as I paid for the whole weekend and i was looking forward for this event for months.

I just left Gingerman, as i tried to give it a last shot and called our beloved BeckyD.

As I actually knew that she signed up for Sunday I wanted to let her know that i won't be there, but secretly hoped she had maybe some idea where to get tires from.

Not even 15 min after I talked to her I got a call from Gerry the Service Manager at Rodgers. He told me that he has 2 front tires with only a couple of hundred miles on them.

200 miles later and half an hour before closing time I experienced pit crew performance at Rodgers. Within half an hour my new tires got mounted and balanced, car checked, brakes and even Gerry was hands on removing grass leaves from my radiator and Heat exchanger.

At 4.05 pm I was already back on my way back to South Haven.

At this point I would like to thank again Becky, Gerry and the Rodgers team for their great performance and far beyond outstanding customer service.

Day 2 Sunday:

Sunday was great lots of driving and great company. BeckyD and Dropspeed

Dropspeed has a good thread in the 1LE forum of his experience. He proofed to me again that a faster car doesn't make you a faster driver ( see video)

As part of the event you could weigh your car. I always wanted to know ow heavy my girl is.

4097lbs is a lot, but I expected more. What everyone was surprised of was how perfectly balanced the car is. Good Job GM.

The weather changed quickly in the afternoon, so after a wash

I could finally test drive my Z for the first time on a wet track

It was actually better than expected. Not as fast as the AWD Porsche though. The tires were missing grip at corner exit and with PTM 1 the nannies were working all the time to keep the car on track.
The service at Rogers is second to none. We had need of parts for day two of a Gingerman event last year. I emailed Gerry, Becky and Joe. FYI: Joe cleans Becky's car, turns the GoPro on and off and hangs around the dealership looking important All three jumped into action even though the dealership was closed. They literally opened the store, gathered the required parts and drove half way across the state to deliver them

Any chance you could post the alignment specs?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #8
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The service at Rogers is second to none. We had need of parts for day two of a Gingerman event last year. I emailed Gerry, Becky and Joe. FYI: Joe cleans Becky's car, turns the GoPro on and off and hangs around the dealership looking important All three jumped into action even though the dealership was closed. They literally opened the store, gathered the required parts and drove half way across the state to deliver them

Any chance you could post the alignment specs?
Joe also holds the door open for Becky.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #9
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #10
Zeus95

Drives: IOM 2010 - 2SS/RS
That is awesome!! Can't wait for the 19th.
Another great customer service story about Becky and Rogers!!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
2010 2SS/RS IOM Upgrades: Fastlane CAI / SLP II Loudmouth axle back / V Max Ported TB / Kook's Step Long Tube Headers / High flow cats / Straightline Tune / BMR front & rear sway bars / Hotchkin End Links / Hurst Short Throw. LG ZR28 Wheels 1 of 2 sets made. Pfadt trailing arms / Diff Bushings & Sub Frame bushings / 1LE Axle & Hubs.
Zeus95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #11
ZL1RHINO

Drives: 2013 black on black
Man that's awesome iam from south Texas but with all the good things I hear about Becky D. My next purchase just might include a road trip plus what better way than to get the 1500 mile break in out of the way thinking STINGRAY. God bless you and your team Becky.
ZL1RHINO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #12
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post

(Hope...... Joe....
..... Doesn't Read this Thread.....LOL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus95 View Post
That is awesome!! Can't wait for the 19th.
Another great customer service story about Becky and Rodgers!!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1RHINO View Post
Man that's awesome iam from south Texas but with all the good things I hear about Becky D. My next purchase just might include a road trip plus what better way than to get the 1500 mile break in out of the way thinking STINGRAY. God bless you and your team Becky.

It was a Great Weekend!!!

Name:  Gingerman 6-30 009.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  162.3 KB

Name:  Gingerman 6-30 013.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  191.9 KB

Name:  Gingerman 6-30 016.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  207.7 KB
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #13