Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 09:36 PM   #1
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
The bad "R" word.....during the ordering process

Well, as we draw closer to the actual build of the new Camaro, I thought I'd introduce to some of you a word you may hear come up during the ordering process.

Actually with a "C"

This word is:

CONSTRAINT

This is a BAD word, and here's why.

You place the order for the Camaro of your dreams....Well, so are MANY other people. There are 80-100,000 Camaros slated to be built, but parts are ordered as projections suggest.

Sometimes there are quality issues where Chevy may reject a part from one of their supplier, for issues such as quality, or bad color matching. This throws off the build process, and then orders are delayed as a result. Orders that are not affected continue to go through the build process. The other orders are held until the constraint is lifted. Another cause could be too much demand for a particular option, and a natural parts shortage.

Can anything be done if an order is placed, and a constraint is announced? It all depends where the order is in the system. If it's early enough, it can be backed out and changed.

As we get into the production process, I will certainly watch the constraint status of the Camaro plant, and let you know RIGHT AWAY so you can plan your Camaro order accordingly, where ever you buy your car.

Just another way I SHARE THE CAMARO LOVE!

Last edited by CamaroScotty; 08-12-2008 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:04 PM   #2
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroScotty View Post
Well, as we draw closer to the actual build of the new Camaro, I thought I'd introduce to some of you a word you may hear come up during the ordering process.

Actually with a "C"

This word is:

CONSTRAINT

You place the order for the Camaro of your dreams....Well, so are MANY other people. There are 80-100,000 Camaros slated to be built, but parts are ordered as projections suggest.

Sometimes there are quality issues where Chevy may reject a part from one of their supplier, for issues such as quality, or bad color matching. This throws off the build process, and then orders are delayed as a result. Orders that are not affected continue to go through the build process. The other orders are held until the constraint is lifted. Another cause could be too much demand for a particular option, and a natural parts shortage.

Can anything be done if an order is placed, and a constraint is announced? It all depends where the order is in the system. If it's early enough, it can be backed out and changed.

As we get into the production process, I will certainly watch the constraint status of the Camaro plant, and let you know RIGHT AWAY so you can plan your Camaro order accordingly, where ever you buy your car.

As you talk more about this car and your personal policies, I want more and more to come up there to get mine.
warn 145:159 ban
Old 08-12-2008, 11:12 PM   #3
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Another reason why I find it difficult for a dealer to tell someone they're 3rd in line 4th 5th whatever, for a Camaro. Their 3rd car may be the 10th Camaro on that lot? Is that right
Old 08-12-2008, 11:43 PM   #4
Lifted07Sierra

Drives: 2007 gmc sierra
Aslong as I get the camaro I want thats all I care about
Old 08-13-2008, 07:52 AM   #5
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Another reason why I find it difficult for a dealer to tell someone they're 3rd in line 4th 5th whatever, for a Camaro. Their 3rd car may be the 10th Camaro on that lot? Is that right
If we don't have someone on a specific car, we build one ourselves, choosing options, colors, trim level, etc.

If we say someone is 3rd, 5th, or 24th...that's what they are. As I said before, I don't think Chevy will give us enough allocation in the first few rounds to give all you incredibly NICE, SUPPORTIVE, COOL forum friends a car.....but lets just say I don't see one Camaro sitting on our lot to be sold locally for......a long time. I would expect every Camaro order allocation we have will have someone's name attached to it. And some time in December, we'll know who that is. And I certainly won't feel hurt if a local dealer gets your the same MSRP or less deal. The other thing is, some people want to order right away, aome 3 months from now, 6,9, etc. Everyone I talked to has a different timeline. If / when I take a deposit, you'll know "your number" in line.

So, to sum this all up, my vision is to have a name attached to every order, and not to have a car ever hit our lot. If come June there's some cars building up on lots around the USA, and the order volume is less, we'll have to just be more competitive on price. Sure others will do this too, so I have a few idea's for.....PERKS, etc...to make a better offer and to provide a better experience than ABCDEFG Chevy down the road
Old 08-13-2008, 08:17 AM   #6
dvnt88
Kickin' Assphalt

Drives: 1997 Z-28 30th Anniversary Ed.
Quote:

Actually with a "C"

This word is:

CONSTRAINT

Scotty,
Ur the man and when I order mine a year after release I want to order through you and drive her back to Oregon (after showing her off to relatives in Chicago). ")
Old 08-13-2008, 08:20 AM   #7
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:

Actually with a "C"

This word is:

CONSTRAINT

I found this out with the early Sky ordering, Some options were on Constraint. such as some colors, first ones to be built were blues and greens and blacks, then came reds and yellow and white silver and gray.

also at first LSD was on constraint.

So even if you are 1st on the list, you may not be the 1st to get your car at that dealership.. I was 3rd on the list for a Sky at my dealership, But my Sky came in first....
Old 08-13-2008, 08:25 AM   #8
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
So if I'm 3rd in line, even if my special order car is pulled off the line waiting for thr Brembo truck to arrive, it's still gonna be your 3rd car?
Old 08-13-2008, 08:28 AM   #9
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
So if I'm 3rd in line, even if my special order car is pulled off the line waiting for thr Brembo truck to arrive, it's still gonna be your 3rd car?
It woukd still depend on what the first and second car had ordered, if they also ordered the brembos then they would all be held up the same, and maybe #4 would come in first.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:29 AM   #10
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
Quote:
There are 80-100,000 Camaros slated to be built, but parts are ordered as projections suggest. Sometimes there are quality issues where Chevy may reject a part from one of their supplier, for issues such as quality or bad color matching. This throws off the build process, and then orders are delayed as a result. Orders that are not affected continue to go through the build process. The other orders are held until the constraint is lifted. Another cause could be too much demand for a particular option, and a natural parts shortage. Can anything be done if an order is placed, and a constraint is announced? It all depends where the order is in the system. If it's early enough, it can be backed out and changed.
This confirms what I posted days ago in the thread:
Lessons learned from the '05 Mustang...

A guy placed his order for a new 2005 Mustang GT through a dealer who ordered his car with Ford without too much delay. However, the order was put on hold at Ford due to a shortage of part of an option package. Ford had anticipated that only 20% of Mustang buyers would order the MyColor gauges (speedo/tach/gauges lit in any of 125 different colors selectable by the driver) that came in the interior upgrade package (IUP), but instead almost everybody wanted it. All orders with the IUP option were put on hold due to shortage of the MyColor gauges. After a couple month delay, dealers were told to advise customers that their Mustang could be released to be scheduled for build if they would accept it without the MyColor gauges. Those who wanted to wait for the MyColor still had to wait. This could happen to you: if Chevy has underestimated the number of buyers who want a specific option, such as ambient lighting or something in the RS package.

CamaroScotty reminds that this could happen due to parts shortages caused by projections not matching actual demand (like my example) or by rejected parts.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:37 AM   #11
GothamCamaro
Then you're gonna love me

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro Tumbler RS
CamaroScotty- I've stopped looking locally. You're my dealership, time after time you do nothing but help us with info and show your love for the Camaro and the fans in this forum.

Understanding your note, I'm ok with waiting should a constraint come about from me ordering my Camaro. Though I can't wait for the Camaro..... I actually can to get what I want. I'll try to help CamaroScotty to make sure one car less is out of your lot in June. I'm thinking Summer now instead of in April.

My co-worker said if you do me right (which I know you will) he's gonna get his convertible Camaro from you.

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Order# NDTMVP Ordered 10/23/08.
2000 on 5/21/09... It begins.....
4B00 on 6/26/09... In transit to the Cave
5000 on 7/6/09 it waits for my arrival!
1000000 on 7/10/09 The Tumbler is in the Cave!
Old 08-13-2008, 12:53 PM   #12
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
As you talk more about this car and your personal policies, I want more and more to come up there to get mine.

Quote:
If we don't have someone on a specific car, we build one ourselves, choosing options, colors, trim level, etc.

If we say someone is 3rd, 5th, or 24th...that's what they are. As I said before, I don't think Chevy will give us enough allocation in the first few rounds to give all you incredibly NICE, SUPPORTIVE, COOL forum friends a car.....but lets just say I don't see one Camaro sitting on our lot to be sold locally for......a long time. I would expect every Camaro order allocation we have will have someone's name attached to it. And some time in December, we'll know who that is. And I certainly won't feel hurt if a local dealer gets your the same MSRP or less deal. The other thing is, some people want to order right away, aome 3 months from now, 6,9, etc. Everyone I talked to has a different timeline. If / when I take a deposit, you'll know "your number" in line.

So, to sum this all up, my vision is to have a name attached to every order, and not to have a car ever hit our lot. If come June there's some cars building up on lots around the USA, and the order volume is less, we'll have to just be more competitive on price. Sure others will do this too, so I have a few idea's for.....PERKS, etc...to make a better offer and to provide a better experience than ABCDEFG Chevy down the road
I wish I were closer, but ever post I read of yours cements my thinking that I'll be ordering my car (Z28 hopefully ) 3,000 miles away. I'm continuously blown away with the way you say you want to do things, in the interest of making a happy customer.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 08-23-2008, 11:14 PM   #13
BBfan24

Drives: '10 Black 1SS/RS
i live in hawaii so obviously i won't be buying from you, scotty. tear. but all the information being put out by you is helping me with the dealers i have been talking to.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:24 AM   #14
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
[QUOTE=littlecammi;111433]This confirms what I posted days ago in the thread:
Lessons learned from the '05 Mustang...

A guy placed his order for a new 2005 Mustang GT through a dealer who ordered his car with Ford without too much delay. However, the order was put on hold at Ford due to a shortage of part of an option package. Ford had anticipated that only 20% of Mustang buyers would order the MyColor gauges (speedo/tach/gauges lit in any of 125 different colors selectable by the driver) that came in the interior upgrade package (IUP), but instead almost everybody wanted it. All orders with the IUP option were put on hold due to shortage of the MyColor gauges. After a couple month delay, dealers were told to advise customers that their Mustang could be released to be scheduled for build if they would accept it without the MyColor gauges. Those who wanted to wait for the MyColor still had to wait. This could happen to you: if Chevy has underestimated the number of buyers who want a specific option, such as ambient lighting or something in the RS package.
QUOTE]

Exactly, I dealt with that first hand...I will be patient with the wait on the camaro because hell...you don't owe a dime till the beast rolls off the truck so keep saving! If this is your dream car its ok to wait an extra month or so imo to get the vehicle PERFECT.

With that said, I could def see the ambient lighting surprise GM. I think ALOT of people are going to jump on that.

Closed Thread