Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 04-01-2008, 09:58 AM   #1
briannutter

Drives: C4Vette,C5-Z06,Cherokee
1LE Package; thoughts?

I just put a post up in the sticky section for 12 disciples. Take a look at the post and see if you agree with me about the ingredients for a proper 1LE package. Let's generate some buzz!
briannutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:08 AM   #2
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
I think that idea died when the Corvette Z06 went from a stripper model with cloth seats to what ended up on showroom floors.

Personally, I'd rather have AC and my creature comforts and spend a few bucks on power mods
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:39 AM   #3
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Yeah, sorry, but this isn't going to be mostly a track car for the vast majority of the people. This will be anywhere from a daily driver to a weekend cruiser for 95-98% of the people that buy one. The trim levels and options should be geared towards that. The people that want to turn one of the best street cars in a long time into a track only car can do it by deleting all the stuff they don't want, putting in their own roll cages and racing harnesses, etc.

Most people will want their AC, their nice sound system, etc. Quite a few people will want leather, heated seats, power mirrors/windows/locks/seats, XM radio, etc.

Count me in that group, I want almost all the options (I will not pay for XM radio and I don't want any kind of navigation (give me a Garmin any day)) because while this will be my daily (seasonally) driver, it will also be my weekend cruiser. And, I plan on keeping it for a long, long time, so I want it to be a very nice car as well as having plenty of power and all the creature comforts.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:57 AM   #4
GothamCamaro
Then you're gonna love me

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro Tumbler RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
Count me in that group, I want almost all the options (I will not pay for XM radio and I don't want any kind of navigation (give me a Garmin any day)) because while this will be my daily (seasonally) driver, it will also be my weekend cruiser. And, I plan on keeping it for a long, long time, so I want it to be a very nice car as well as having plenty of power and all the creature comforts.
Ditto except I do want XM cuz I do pay for my commercial free radio already with Sirius Radio. I have my Garmin already but if they have a nice Navigation system, I might consider it (I don't mean OnStar service).

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Order# NDTMVP Ordered 10/23/08.
2000 on 5/21/09... It begins.....
4B00 on 6/26/09... In transit to the Cave
5000 on 7/6/09 it waits for my arrival!
1000000 on 7/10/09 The Tumbler is in the Cave!
GothamCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:58 AM   #5
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
I think they should offer base models without all the extras, but I agree with Silverado. I'm going to be driving my Camaro every day. I want a fast awesome sounding V8, but I also want all of the creature comforts. Load it up for me!
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:27 PM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
No stripper here, although I don't need every creature comfort there is. Give me some power, good sounds, nice interior, and I'll be good to go

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:32 PM   #7
LS9CamaroSS

Drives: Cavalier RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingnotes View Post
I think they should offer base models without all the extras, but I agree with Silverado. I'm going to be driving my Camaro every day. I want a fast awesome sounding V8, but I also want all of the creature comforts. Load it up for me!
I say if they can offer the base models with most of the options at a decent price go ahead and do it! that is most likely the direction I'll be going.
LS9CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:45 PM   #8
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
[QUOTE=Silverado;58247]Yeah, sorry, but this isn't going to be mostly a track car for the vast majority of the people. This will be anywhere from a daily driver to a weekend cruiser for 95-98% of the people that buy one. The trim levels and options should be geared towards that. The people that want to turn one of the best street cars in a long time into a track only car can do it by deleting all the stuff they don't want, putting in their own roll cages and racing harnesses, etc.

agreed
Camaro_Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:55 PM   #9
briannutter

Remember, it's just an option that the individual checks off when they order the car...you guys can get it loaded anyway you want. Just tell GM to invest a little time to come up with a optional package for guys like myself. I'll be running rings around the other cars at the track and that will reflect well on the street cars.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:57 PM   #10
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I agree with the general opinion here. While a quality track car is a respectable hobby, I'm still going to need to get to work. There's just no way many people will buy a stripped down model when they can do it themselves. Actually, I have a lot of respect for people who will take a higher model and take out what they don't need. I never trust the factory to make the most out of performance. They won't bore and stroke for you. If anyone really wants a balls-to-the-wall track model, they should really take pride in building it themselves and not relying on their favorite car company to do the work for them. Besides, building your own pet monster is far more satisfying than having Chevrolet build it for you.

I know what you're saying about performance on the track boding well for those on the street, but it's just not cost-effective to offer the option. GM needs to compete really aggressively over the largest market segments. The small ones, like us, are fairly lucky to get the attention we get at all. There are a lot of enthusiasts out there, but they need to focus on making cars that they can sell to anyone.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:58 PM   #11
CaptianSam
Car Garage

Drives: 350z,A4,SRT8...see sig
there is no point to onstar... the only GOOD benefits are restaurant reservations... hotel reservations... and in car calling which you can do with bluetooth... and the navigation system is not that good they have gotten me lost before... a in dash navi is much better

On My Ipad
Xbox McLovin1515
Ps3 McLovin1555
Current Autos:68z28,03viperSRT10,04escalade,05RangeRoverSport SC
Project Autos:80corvette350-500hp 6speed,06charger S'C 6-speed posi,74Firebird400blue,69chevelle572 707
New Autos:2012CamaroSSRS,09ChallengerSRT8
Past Autos:....too many to list

"i told you it was gettin' an LS3"
Go down deep enough into anything and you will find mathematics. Dean Schlicter
B.Sc. Hons. Mathematics
CaptianSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:19 PM   #12
briannutter

Seems like I'm outvoted. Am I even on the right website? Take me back to 1967 so I can buy a first year DZ302 Z28. Or, I can get into a used Z06 for my $38K. Which isn't going to help GM much

I see everything people are throwing on the wishlist. Each one of those things adds weight and cost. At the same time people are complaining about the weight and cost. Remember when Homer got to design his own car? Go buy a G8 gtp if you've need a big backseat. Don't ruin it for the youngsters.

The problem with car marketing is things grow bigger with every successive iteration in an effort to grow sales by going mainstream. That works for a while, but then the bottom drops out and people make fun of the bloated turd it has become. It's called diluting a brand. It takes a strong leader to deny mainstream sales and stay true to the original formula. The money guys and the marketing "experts" look at them like they have a 3rd eyeball when they say "hey, lets make it smaller next year with less ameneties". Bob Lutz (and a lot of guys behind the scenes) are heros in my book for staying car guys.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:26 PM   #13
GothamCamaro
Then you're gonna love me

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro Tumbler RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by briannutter View Post
Am I even on the right website?
This isn't the American Idol board? Darn it, clicked on the wrong link!

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Order# NDTMVP Ordered 10/23/08.
2000 on 5/21/09... It begins.....
4B00 on 6/26/09... In transit to the Cave
5000 on 7/6/09 it waits for my arrival!
1000000 on 7/10/09 The Tumbler is in the Cave!
GothamCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:30 PM   #14
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by briannutter View Post
Seems like I'm outvoted. Am I even on the right website?
Oh, you are. But it seems you are in the wrong mindset. There is a VERY small percentage of people who want an all-out stripper/racer model (even amongst us enthusiasts). That means it won't sell, making all the expense used to pull out all the comforts of a normal car a waste. Yes, it would be MORE expensive not to have all these things in.

PLUS, that won't look good to anybody looking at this car outside of this site. The lack of options, despite the increased performance will look like moldy bread to most people. Not a very good impression if you ask me.

Finally, Unless you're looking for a 3,000 lbs anorexic Camaro.....I don't believe for one second that it's going to resemble anything close to a bloated Turd. The Challenger fills that role very nicely, thank you.