Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-29-2006, 06:56 PM   #1
28Dennis

Drives: CamaroZ28
Gas is 3$ a gallon for good.

Ok so gas costs way too much. Every car forum is talking about it, so why not us too. On CNN some gm exec was just talking her head off about E85 and how alot of the cars will be able to drive on both E85 and regular fuel.

So what are the chances that GM uses E85 in a performance car, I think they should do it just to be a first at it. Theres actually already a few E85 gas stations up (one by me!) I think alot of other americans are thinking the way I do, about not just the cars price but how much its going to cost to fuel the thing. As of right now I dont know if I could afford a car like the camaro just because it would get poor mileage. But E85 would be the answer for me.

GM should just do it and make E85 on all there cars. It will help america get off foreign oil, and at the same time make farming an honarble field again.

I say do it, between this car, the pontiac solstice and the new Z06, GM is definitly on the rise, finish it off by making this car E85 ready.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:20 PM   #2
nordjohn

Drives: volvo xc 70
are you shure??? )

--
johntvery@mail.com
nordjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:02 PM   #3
wakebord99

Drives: 06 Accord Coupe
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28Dennis
Ok so gas costs way too much. Every car forum is talking about it, so why not us too. On CNN some gm exec was just talking her head off about E85 and how alot of the cars will be able to drive on both E85 and regular fuel.

So what are the chances that GM uses E85 in a performance car, I think they should do it just to be a first at it. Theres actually already a few E85 gas stations up (one by me!) I think alot of other americans are thinking the way I do, about not just the cars price but how much its going to cost to fuel the thing. As of right now I dont know if I could afford a car like the camaro just because it would get poor mileage. But E85 would be the answer for me.

GM should just do it and make E85 on all there cars. It will help america get off foreign oil, and at the same time make farming an honarble field again.

I say do it, between this car, the pontiac solstice and the new Z06, GM is definitly on the rise, finish it off by making this car E85 ready.

This should be completely feasable. If you break it down to the science of E85.. it is 105 octane fuel. To put that into perspective.. a car running on 87 octane can achieve a 10.6:1 compression ratio rather safely depending on timing. You increase that to 91 octane, and now you are able to use 11.7:1 compression ratio. That difference in 4 octane points translates to roughly 30 horsepower in most engines (look at Toyota 3.5l engine vs Lexus 3.5l. ).

Now take that same equation and increase the octane to 105.. a differnence of 14 octane points. If all else is equal, that should yeild an increase of 105 horsepower !!!!

All while being less relient on those Arabs or Opec, and increasing jobs and domenstic production. Oh darn.. Bush won't be able to take of another nation for his daddy :(

Humm.. I dunno what do you think E85 ???

-Jay
(this car is more bueatiful than my wife ! ! )
wakebord99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:33 AM   #4
chevy4824

Drives: 1983 hurst olds
Send a message via AIM to chevy4824
i think if they make the camaro E85 that will be another edge on the Mustang
chevy4824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:32 AM   #5
BlacLac02
Banned

Drives: 2002 Cadillac Escalade & STS
Send a message via AIM to BlacLac02
personally i think that if your buying a sports car like the vette .......your not too concerned with the cost of gas so theres really no point to make it an e85 car. people are still gonna buy them and therestill gonna go through gas. no use in changing something that isnt gonna change the sales
BlacLac02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 02:44 PM   #6
matthewmiller01

Drives: 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
I doubt I would run an ethanol blend in my sports car. For the same octane fuel, you get lower fuel efficiency and less power than if you use non-ethanol gas. Also, the ethanol blend used to be cheaper. As of ~2 weeks ago, that it no longer true. So I see no benefit to using it. I really don't believe it can make a large dent in our dependancy on middle eastern oil. If it did, I may use it. Just my $.02.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:12 AM   #7
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
When I purchased my SS, I was told it was run off of some ethanol blend but performance dropped quite a bit. I've only put in the 93 octane and it runs like a charm. If a cleaner and cheaper method of fueling our performance cars comes along and it takes our reliance off middle easter oil without hindering performance, then I'm all for it. I'll be looking forward to 30+mpg's in the new Camaro. But who knows? By then, GM could even come out with some better form of fuel efficiency. If they can make these cars reliably run off of E85 w/ excellent performace and save a buck, then go for it. Either way, I'm not giving up my high-performance ride for a four banger just cause the higher gas prices. It's not that big of a deal for me. I'll pay it to go fast. But wouldn't it be sweet to say your Camaro gets 40+??? OH YEAH...
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 11:56 PM   #8
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Well, I happened to come across this thread by accident, So I figured, "why not bring it back to life?". It could also direct some mildly O/T ethanol chatter out of the Yukon/Tahoe thread

That, and I want to see what members who aren't banned or have more than 6 posts have to say.

I'm 100% for it. Fuel economy tends to decrease with E85,though the tradeoff of is more power.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:00 AM   #9
acscamarochick06
Chevrolet Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS ;)
The more fuel economy I can get, the better!! I'm all for it! GM-- DO something to make our beloved Camaros more fuel efficient!!! Those Mustang suckers with their gas-guzzlers will be grinding their teeth! hehe!
Old 09-30-2007, 09:15 AM   #10
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
I'd like to see it. GM could be the first company to have a sports car run on E85, another thing to kick ford in the .
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:03 PM   #11
Power Junkie
GM give me my fix please!

Drives: 95 Toyota GT4
Location: England.. aka the EU's whipping boy!!! (but not for much longer, hopefully)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

That, and I want to see what members who aren't banned or have more than 6 posts have to say.
Ummm... now, now!!!.. a man should not be judged by the size of his........ posts!!!

What grades of petrol do you have over there??

We basically have 2 here.... Regular Unleaded 95ron and Super Unleaded at 97-99ron.... recently we've got things like BP Ultimate 102 which is 102ron... but it's £2.42 / $4.93 per litre (about £10.89 / $22.20 per gallon).. not sure how many people use this as it's bloody expensive... it was created more for use on track days.

A bit more on topic:

Lotus have been working on sports car running on E85 with pretty good results...http://car-reviews.automobile.com/ne...supercar/2058/
Power Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:34 PM   #12
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
The availability of E85 is its killer.. there are about 1200 e85 stations in the united states... and specifically for me anyway 0 in Arizona. I did a college paper about this topic..

It can be up to $200,000.00 for a regular gas station to retrofit so they can carry and dispense e85 thats part of the reason for the lack of interest by businesses..

The whole problem is.. consumers don't see a reason buy a e85 car unless there are e85 stations.. but businesses wont retrofit until they can return the investment in equipment. The old chicken before the egg scenario...
Old 09-30-2007, 03:10 PM   #13
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Junkie View Post
Ummm... now, now!!!.. a man should not be judged by the size of his........ posts!!!

What grades of petrol do you have over there??

We basically have 2 here.... Regular Unleaded 95ron and Super Unleaded at 97-99ron.... recently we've got things like BP Ultimate 102 which is 102ron... but it's £2.42 / $4.93 per litre (about £10.89 / $22.20 per gallon).. not sure how many people use this as it's bloody expensive... it was created more for use on track days.

A bit more on topic:

Lotus have been working on sports car running on E85 with pretty good results...http://car-reviews.automobile.com/ne...supercar/2058/
I'll be honest, I'm not sure what 'ron' is in comparison to our Octane ratings...but if you know, then we've got 87, 91, 93 where I'm at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
The availability of E85 is its killer.. there are about 1200 e85 stations in the united states... and specifically for me anyway 0 in Arizona. I did a college paper about this topic..

It can be up to $200,000.00 for a regular gas station to retrofit so they can carry and dispense e85 thats part of the reason for the lack of interest by businesses..

The whole problem is.. consumers don't see a reason buy a e85 car unless there are e85 stations.. but businesses wont retrofit until they can return the investment in equipment. The old chicken before the egg scenario...
We're supposed to be getting a massive E85 plant here, I hope. So within 10 years, I can't see why E85 wouldn't be readily available to us. However - you're right. Availability is not good for E85 right now. Being in it's "early" stages, though, I'm hoping that like here - E85 will grow in availability to places that can use it. It's not a universal solution, but untill electric vehicles gain power, and advance more - I see it as the only solution for gas trucks.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:46 PM   #14
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
87, 89 and 91 here. Gas is 3.29 for 87 atm. I just filled up yesterday.