Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #29
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
my question to them woulda been "how does it avoid the GGT with 16mpg city and 24 hwy?"
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #30
MauriSSio
Banned

Drives: 1968 Ford Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by justa25thTA View Post
sure you can, you just don't want to. Its the best GM has to offer today against the best Ford has to offer today. What's wrong with that comparison?
cobra Jet
Old 04-25-2012, 05:50 PM   #31
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
That's a big number. I like it.

And for what it's worth..... OMFG here we go again.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #32
Silver_Shelby
Automotive Enthusiast

Drives: Silver The Fastest Color
The Gas Guzzler Tax for each vehicle is based on its combined city and highway fuel economy value. Manufacturers must follow U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) procedures to calculate the tax. The calculation uses a formula that weights fuel economy test results for city and highway driving cycles (the combined value is based on 55% city driving and 45% highway driving). Fuel economy values are calculated before sales begin for the model year. The total amount of the tax is determined later and is based on the total number of gas guzzler vehicles that were sold that year. It is assessed after production has ended for the model year and is paid by the vehicle manufacturer or importer.
EPA and manufacturers use the same test to measure vehicle fuel economy for the Gas Guzzler Tax and for new car fuel economy labels. However, the calculation procedures for tax and label purposes differ, resulting in different fuel economy values. This is because an adjustment factor is applied to the fuel economy test results for purposes of the label, but not for the tax. The adjustment is intended to help account for the differences between “real-world” and laboratory testing conditions.
EPA conducts fuel economy tests in a laboratory on a dynamometer (a device similar to a treadmill). Laboratory conditions can be different from real world conditions for such parameters as vehicle speeds, acceleration rates, driving patterns, ambient temperatures, fuel type, tire pressure, wind resistance, etc. EPA studies indicate that vehicles driven by typical drivers under typical road conditions get approximately 70 to 90 percent of the laboratory test-based city miles per gallon (mpg) value and approximately 70 to 80 percent of laboratory highway mpg value. This difference is referred to as “”in-use shortfall.” To account for the in-use shortfall, the city and highway mpg values listed in Fuel Economy Guide and shown on fuel economy labels are based on fuel economy test results of the city and highway tests plus three additional tests. The three additional tests measure fuel economy 1) at cold ambient temperatures, 2) at warmer temperatures with the air conditioner running, and 3) when operated at high speeds and high acceleration rates. However, the combined city and highway fuel economy that is used to determine tax liability is not adjusted to account for in-use shortfall, so it is higher than the mpg values provided in the Fuel Economy Guide (www.fueleconomy.gov) and posted on the window stickers of new vehicles.
top of page
Tax Schedule

The IRS collects the tax directly from the manufacturer or importer of the vehicles. The following table shows the gas guzzler tax rates which have been in effect since January 1, 1991. The manufacturer or importer must pay this amount for each vehicle that does not meet the minimum fuel economy level of 22.5 mpg.
Combined fuel economy of: Amount at least 22.5 mpg No tax
Old 04-25-2012, 05:54 PM   #33
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Funny how the measure being touted for supremacy by the Dearborn Dandies is 1/4-mile-only. Based solely on a 662 hp number. That, in production trim, is an unknown quantity in the hands of the "great unwashed".

"One Trick Pony" comes to mind...for SURELY you'll agree the GT 500 stands ZERO chance on a roadcourse vs. the "underpowered/traction-limited/over-weight" ZL1...right? After all, the GT 500 at 550 hp, its stable-mate the BOSS LS kicked its hiney @ VIR...and the lowly under-$40K 1LE beat the Best-handling BOSS...and the ZL1 tramples 'em ALL!

What the Camaro needs is some REAL competition...not some hobby-horse pretend-a-car with the influences of one very old chili-peddler...

Bring 'er to VIR, and let the clocks decide...
I havent been keeping up with the 1LE as much as I should because if it turns out to be a better raodcourse car, I will forego my ZL1 pruchase and get a 1LE instead. So, my question is, is it a fact that the 1LE has run vs the Boss or your claim is just based on simulations? By the way, after a few laps, a NA car will eventually catch and pass a FI car due to heat soak. Boss and 1LE will spank a ZL1 and GT500 on a roadcourse if they are run more than a couple of magazine laps.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #34
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
I havent been keeping up with the 1LE as much as I should because if it turns out to be a better raodcourse car, I will forego my ZL1 pruchase and get a 1LE instead. So, my question is, is it a fact that the 1LE has run vs the Boss or your claim is just based on simulations? By the way, after a few laps, a NA car will eventually catch and pass a FI car due to heat soak. Boss and 1LE will spank a ZL1 and GT500 on a roadcourse if they are run more than a couple of magazine laps.
Head to head, I don't know. All I've seen is the 1LE did a sub 3 minute time at VIR. What configuration and all (track wise), I have no idea.

I like GM gave buyers a chance to get some of that road course magic at a price that's not in ZL1 territory!
Old 04-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #35
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
Head to head, I don't know. All I've seen is the 1LE did a sub 3 minute time at VIR. What configuration and all (track wise), I have no idea.

I like GM gave buyers a chance to get some of that road course magic at a price that's not in ZL1 territory!
so it was another pre-production special. Got it.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #36
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
so it was another pre-production special. Got it.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...to-2012-page-8

Notice what ran a 3:02.8...BOSS LS

...and the GT 500 ran what? 2/10ths quicker than a CADILLAC...which weighs 400+ lbs. more...it's a good thing the Stang's workin' on it's vaunted POWER-TO-WEIGHT...

...and the 1LE ran "under 3:00"...which beats the BOSS LS and certainly the 550hp GT 500...

...for "Under $40K"...

Feel free to direct the Dearborn Dandies to this link...
Old 04-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #37
429ci
Schooler of idiots

Drives: 69 Boss 429
Shelby GT500 FTW. Very very impressive car.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #38
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
Originally Posted by 429ci View Post
Shelby GT500 FTW. Very very impressive car.
Indeed...reminds me of the winter of '69 when Ford announced their killer plans for the Shotgun BOSS 429 on F60s..."gonna annihilate the Camaro!"...and it struggled to run high-13s (the 13.60 listed was by far the quickest that nose-heavy slug ever ran)...while the ZL1 on 70-series tires ran 13-teens...

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclec...s-50fast.shtml

The more things change, the more they stay the very same...
Old 04-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #39
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...to-2012-page-8

Notice what ran a 3:02.8...BOSS LS

...and the GT 500 ran what? 2/10ths quicker than a CADILLAC...which weighs 400+ lbs. more...it's a good thing the Stang's workin' on it's vaunted POWER-TO-WEIGHT...

...and the 1LE ran "under 3:00"...which beats the BOSS LS and certainly the 550hp GT 500...

...for "Under $40K"...

Feel free to direct the Dearborn Dandies to this link...
you like to sound knowlegleable but you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. The 2011 GT500 ran at VIR and posted a 2:58 time. You are talking a lot of smack. Why stoop so low, why not just wait til the new snake comes out and get tested with the ZL1. Are you willing to bet anything (performance-wise) against the GT500 or are you all smack talk?

http://wot.motortrend.com/video-2011...onds-7699.html
Old 04-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #40
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Funny...a word you like to use...I didn't start any of this on this site...it was the Dearborn Dandies who invaded this territory to tell us simpletons what a fine outstanding piece of horse-flesh this soon-coming Stang is, and that we should head to the Arc before the Ford Flood arrives!!!

Got my galoshes on, FFR. Best you find some water-wings...

Road course? ZL1...proven over the BOSS @ VIR...and Arizona, too. "Only by a few seconds", moaned the Ford fans. "Only", indeed...

1/4-mile? Only Ford guys seem to be REALLY excited about a more expen$ive nose-heavy night-MARE having some opportunity at possible redemption, there.

BALANCE. ZL1...in SPADES! After all, this is the new milennium, not the greaseball days of old...

For less dough...and no extra-cost band-aid options required...and no patchwork chili salesmen required.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #41
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Y'all sound like a bunch of whiny babies all talking out your azz. Ain't no Mustang die-hard is gonna buy a Camaro, and no dedicated Camaro lover is gonna buy a Mustang. It's how it was, is, and will be. Get over it.

You cannot be unbiased in this. It's like having kids. You may SAY you love them all equally, but you know, deep down, there's always a favorite, no matter how slight. Don't bother lying about it ,either.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
Old 04-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #42
GaBoy25

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6/2500HD Lmm LTZ
+1

2500HD (with a couple parts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
I wonder if this could be why my car idles like its retarded...
Closed Thread