Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
azw131
Team LLT

Drives: 2012 WRX (Stage 2)
Test drove a 2014 WRX today

Both my mom and girlfriend have been urging me to consider a car thats more practical (drivable in Syracuse winters) and I don't have to worry about cleaning and Zaino-ing all the time, a "real" daily driver. So today, I went out to test drive a WRX. It is really the only car I would consider switching to. Now let me preface this by saying I am in no means set on getting out of the camaro. I don't even think I will end up swapping. The test drive, though, was quite enjoyable. I'll try and cover all the aspects of the car/driving experience in this review of it. The model I drove was the base model sedan. It is similarly equipped to the LS camaros as far as options go, with the addition of bluetooth playback/connectivity.

Exterior: I know this is subjective, but I'd give the exterior looks of the WRX a 6.5/10. It has some nice areas, like the rear diffuser and exhaust, but overall it isnt a very pretty car.

Interior: The interior of these cars are not nice. I'd give it a 6/10. Even the LS camaro interiors, which are rather spartan, are nicer than the WRX interior. The "WRX" embroidered on the seat rest is a nice touch, and I like the gauges, but the rest of the interior looks not unlike any modern econobox interior.

Acceleration: This is where the WRX really shines. These things pull, HARD. To say they love to rev would be an understatement. It's really amazing what they've managed to get these boxer engines to do. They're really a hoot to drive.

Handling: The WRX handles very well. It stays flat through turns with very little body roll. Also, it feels extremely light compared to the Camaro. That said, for some reason I don't feel as confident with it's handling as I do in my Camaro. The steering wheel is much lighter in the WRX, so maybe I'm just not used to it (it would be unfair to not mention I have the ZL1 sways and BMR springs on my car, so it's not necessarily fair to compare the stock WRX to my aftermarket equipped car)

Transmission: All WRX's come equipped with a 5 speed manual (the STI has a 6 speed). The clutch engages right off the floor and has a much shorter total travel than the Camaro. This is a positive for me, and I found I was able to shift much easier and quicker. Many people have complained about the shifter feel in the WRX's but I actually preferred this to the feel of the Camaro. The two feel equally vague, but the shifter is much lighter in the WRX and thus easier to throw quickly. As far as gearing goes, it pulled very hard down low and even harder over 4000 RPM. I hit 40 in second gear before I knew it. My camaro, in contrast feels sluggish down low.

Overall, I really enjoyed driving the WRX. It is much quicker than my LS, despite all my bolt ons). It is also much more practical for me, because it has AWD. On the other hand, the camaro is much sexier, has a nicer interior, and feels to be of higher quality. Not to mention, I am emotionally attached to the camaro, and have invested a lot of time and money in it. Both cars are very enjoyable to drive, but suit people with different needs. It comes down to whether you want an AWD car that is quick but a little lacking on looks and feels a little cheap. Or, a retro styled beauty, that is not too good in the winter and has more show than go.

Mods: Bolt On's and Such, Some Cosmetic Stuff Too
azw131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Nice. I love the WRXs and would want to have one as a DD in the future, I have been wanting to drive one for a while to see what they feel like.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
No one would blame you for switching, especially for Syracuse winters. The WRX is an awesome car. The STi is a monster though. I'd try to swing that.

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
Good review. Yeah, people don't get WRX's for their looks. They are popular for their performance and for being practical (4 doors with AWD). With a good driver, a stock WRX can easily beat a slightly modified SS to 60 MPH. WRX's run out of steam quickly after that though.
If I lived in a northern state with alot of snow in the winter, I'd get a used one for a winter car. The Camaro would be my summer car.

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
Subaru wrx's are great cars for the money was this the newer redsigned one or the older body style cause to me the older body style looks way better than what they have now. Performance for those models are supposed to in the high 4.8 to 5.2 to 60 then they lose a lil steam in the top end 1/4.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
Truck Norris
Thread Mover

Drives: a Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverlsinva View Post
Subaru wrx's are great cars for the money was this the newer redsigned one or the older body style cause to me the older body style looks way better than what they have now. Performance for those models are supposed to in the high 4.8 to 5.2 to 60 then they lose a lil steam in the top end 1/4.
102mph trap speed is still pulling but I know what you mean as you feel the pull a lot more in the lower gears.

2014 is the outgoing model. The 2015 wont arrive at dealerships until after the first quarter next year

I'm excited for the new 2015 with its new Direct Injected 2.0L, 6 speed manual and twin scroll turbo more but a bit bummed that there will no longer be an optional 5 door hatch and the optional Sport CVT is considerably slower to 60mph, but that could have been from the reviewer not putting in in sport sharp mode which mimics an 8 speed auto. Im just hoping the new model can match the outgoing models 0-60 in 4.7 and 13.3@102mph in the 1/4. Fingers crossed they put a good dual clutch in the STI as its been in the Evo MR for 8 years now. Just wished it would of looked exactly like the concept from earlier this year.

Last edited by Truck Norris; 12-27-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Truck Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #7
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
Here is my 2 cents. Get a good winter tire/rim set up spend less time rubbing your car and enjoy the darn thing 12 months a year. A family member of mine has a WRX yes its fun to drive but i don't think i could ever get pass the exterior/interior.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
Yea the 15 model year body style looks too much like a Volvo imo so 14 model is not so bad looks wise. IMO its great to have some down low pulling power just that nice rush of power right out the gate almost. But as the OP has said he loves his Camaro so its going to be hard trade to make when your attached like that.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #9
azw131
Team LLT

Drives: 2012 WRX (Stage 2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillz View Post
Here is my 2 cents. Get a good winter tire/rim set up spend less time rubbing your car and enjoy the darn thing 12 months a year. A family member of mine has a WRX yes its fun to drive but i don't think i could ever get pass the exterior/interior.
I would spring for a winter tire/rim set up, but truthfully I don't find it to be worth it. I'd rather not drive the Camaro at all in the winters, than have to worry about all the paint chips, and having to drive cautiously to avoid skidding. I did it last winter and it just wasn't worth it. The WRX is purpose built for the snow, and I wouldn't care about keeping the exterior in great shape because it's really meant to take some punishment and not stay clean and shiny all year. All these things are factors I would consider regarding swapping cars. There's things I'd miss about the Camaro, but I know the WRX is just a more practical decision. Thats not to say I can't live with the less practical choice though

Mods: Bolt On's and Such, Some Cosmetic Stuff Too
azw131 is offline   Reply With Quote