Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-31-2012, 04:54 PM   #43
Dr. Love

Drives: 2012
0....I don't drive my car in the winter.

Dr. Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:32 PM   #44
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
Fellow Virginians....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalberdi99 View Post
i just got mine this weekend and i cant afford winter tires, how much weight should i put in the trunk? you all got me worried with this topic. will i be fishtailing all over the place and sliding in curves?
In VA myself, (Centreville) I will not drive her in the snow, but then I have the luxury of driving with, and dropping of my wife at work in her AWD Equinox. Or carpooling with a co-worker.

What I can suggest, especially if money is tight, and the Pirellis are new...
Sell them on here (C5) to someone and recoup some of your costs.

Check out tire rack for other tires and pricing.

Personally, I am waiting to wear these out and then getting some all-season tires.

Good luck all.

Jim

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:00 PM   #45
goshawk823

Drives: 2017 RS convertible
Quote:
im right outside of wash DC. so as long that theres no snow or freezing rain i should be ok right.
Like I said, "I" wasn't comfortable driving on the Pirelli's in cold temps. I've been driving for over 40 years and I know my limitations.
2010 2LT RS
2013 2SS RS

Current ride:
2017 Camaro 2LT RS convertible
goshawk823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:05 PM   #46
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
No weight just snow tires and it plows thru snow like a 4 wheel drive, Thing is a beast in the snow ,In fact she told me she likes it, It even hard to do donuts in parking lot without taking the traction control off. Thats how good these cars are on snow. Ps i went down to 17 inch rims and Blizzaks ,Now f you got summer tires on , Doont even attempt to drive in snow unless you want to crash and die
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:07 PM   #47
belliott
belliott

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
I just fill my truck full of snow, that seems to be about right
belliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:36 PM   #48
CSM088

Drives: 1981 Z28 // 2010 1SS LS3
Since you're in VA, I looked up your climate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Virginia

In that climate I would probably try out the winter with your summer tires (or until you can afford a set of winter). Thats really mild. How many days of fresh snowfall do you have? The Pirelli's get hard and cold and when the ground is wet they can slip. In snow you are gonna have a bad time unless they sand/salt the roads. But its doable and I'm sure you can make it through a few wet days. Drive carefully, its completely different than driving the car in warm conditions but it isn't the end of the world. It helps to have an M6 and so does having some experience. Drive cautious approaching intersections, etc. Std winter driving...
CSM088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:45 AM   #49
Jalberdi99

Drives: 2014 Summit White 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSM088 View Post
Since you're in VA, I looked up your climate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Virginia

. How many days of fresh snowfall do you have? ...

we get about 3 snowfall a year.
Jalberdi99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #50
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Adding weight in the trunk is important for RWD cars IF they have a substantial portion of their weight over the front end. For something as well balanced as the Camaro, its not needed. But as others said, carrying around some sand or kitty litter is a good idea in case you ever do get stuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSM088 View Post
The amount of fuss I hear from some of you about "winter" is frustrating! Unless it goes below 0 (32F) and its snowing/raining, you are fine. Even then, unless its been cold for awhile, the warmer ground and friction from other vehicles will prevent the rain/snow from freezing. If it does often throughout your winter season, get some 18" rims with winter tires. The best winter set-up is a tall, narrow tire on a smaller rim. Weight in the trunk may help but that's more of a solution for RWD trucks that that have no weight in the back (they are not a balanced vehicle like the Camaro).

I drove my SS with summer tires in snow for a month last January (that's a Winnipeg January) and it sucked... but wasn't impossible; you have to drive appropriately. I've seen videos of Camaro's sliding down driveways (use momentum!) and having to floor it to get down the street, with the tires spinning constantly (this person doesn't know how to drive in the winter!).

I don't mean to come off as arrogant and I don't expect you to agree with all that I say, but consider the weather I have driven through all my life and that it may give me somewhat of an idea of what we're talking about!
While I somewhat agree with you, careful driving can only get you so far and you can't always control when you drive. Plus, careful driving with snow tires will always beat careful driving without snow tires.

As for smaller, skinnier winter wheels -agree completely. I'd also add that, if possible, go for heavy steelies. The idea for all of this is that a narrow tire, with a heavy wheel cuts through snow better & compacts it more giving you better bite. More sidewall (from the smaller rim/larger tire) protects the wheel against damage from early spring potholes (or at least thats the explanation I've heard)
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #51
FastRaceCars
Drag Racer

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Adding weight to the rear of a balanced 3900lb car is actually going to probably hurt more than help. There is no replacement for winter tires on snow (and studs for ice). I drove a 96 camaro year-round during and after college. I could go up hills with my winter tires better than my friend could with all-seasons on his cavalier. I would pass 4-wheel drive cars/trucks on the interstate all the time when the roads were covered with a couple inches of snow at 70-80mph on the long straights (yes, 20 yr olds feel invincible).

If you really anticipate driving on snow during treacherous conditions, you will have to buy winter tires. Otherwise, you'll be stuck sooner or later, not to mention the much greater chance of sliding through a turn into a snowbank or worse.
FastRaceCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #52
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Take the dreaded mother in law with you , no need to use the XM or other source of music !!!
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #53
SD2011SS

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by My45thAnniversaryCamaro View Post
Cali love
+1
Old 11-04-2012, 10:56 PM   #54
CrzyGamr2
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS
So far it's a football, a pair of cleats and my cleaning supplies. Central and South Florida FTW!
Old 11-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #55
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
I don't use weight in my Camaro trunk, I use "wait". I wait til the snow is gone and they've cleaned the hiways of chemical residue before ol' Trigger comes out of storage.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #56
All Star
I'm an Engineer

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Send a message via AIM to All Star
Quote:
i just got mine this weekend and i cant afford winter tires, how much weight should i put in the trunk? you all got me worried with this topic. will i be fishtailing all over the place and sliding in curves?
You can afford a $30k sports car, but not a $1000 set of tires? Yikes.

All Star is offline   Reply With Quote