Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 3rd Generation Camaros

Old 07-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
B2k4E
Listen to cereal guy...

Drives: 1986 Z28 Camaro 383 TPI
Change TPI out for Carburated system; HP gain or fall?

I was getting the idea to change out my TPI system in favor of a carburated system since we have a couple of 350 eldbrock manifolds and some 2 bbl and 4 bbl carbs laying around as well. I've heard that the standard TPI system is kinda restrictive on a 383 motor. So would changing the manifold and installing a carb give more or less Horse Power? Also, what all troubles would I possibly have? This is on a 350 block that originally was a 350 TPI, but got bored over to a 383.

Let the advice, begin!

Today I went to Orielly's to change out my serpentine belt, as I walked by one of the Orielly's associates who was helping somebody asked me if I knew where the sparkplugs would be on a Honda Civic... I simply told him that; "I don't know, I only work on American vehicles."

He told me that was the best damn answer he ever heard.
B2k4E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
Camaroirocz
BadMeanIROCZ

Drives: IROC-Z28 Camaro
Carbed motor, really? I know they have their places but me personally man, I'd put a Holley Stealth Ram on there if you're doing a 383. Seriously, a carbed motor has it's pro's/con's but I'd much rather have fuel injection at the end of the day. Unless of course this car is a weekend only car, then maybe you can just throw on a carbed intake.

Camaro IROC-Z28 350 L98; Not stock.

Camaroirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #3
BlueZee28

Drives: 1991 Z28 convertible
I'll never own a carb'd car. My honest opinion, while it may be offensive to some, is that people who switch from fuel injection to carb are hoosiers.

Put a Holley Stealth Ram on it, or something similar. There's a couple of good options for you when you need more air for a bigger cube motor. Don't go carb though...you'd be losing technology and they're ugly as sin.

LSX Powered

For More Pics Click:
http://www.omnipotent-goku.com/iroc/gallery/album140
BlueZee28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
The Project
Don't Mess with the Zohan

Drives: 89 IROC
My 89 IROC is a TPI and my 87 Trans Am is a carb.

I'd stick to TPI or put a "first injection" intake on it. Similar to a stelth ram but better on the street.
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."
The Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #5
KMK454

Drives: 91 B4C Camaro
I would swap the TPI for a carb, and also add autometer gauges, a flowmaster, and a skull shifter.
KMK454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:27 PM   #6
B2k4E
Listen to cereal guy...

Drives: 1986 Z28 Camaro 383 TPI
Thanks for the advice guys, I've been without internets in my new apartment so I'm at the local Barnes & Noble bookstore.

Ya, I've ditched the idea and instead I think I'm going to install hi-flow Eldebrock TPI Runners and intake manifold. Then get a Holley 58 mm Throttle body, some larger injectors, and a hypertech PROM chip to remove the governor and give it a bit more HP. Might throw in a wilder cam too and a nice set of headers.

I've got a 383 stroker (mild cam with a 400 crank.) and a guy on here with a very similar setup (all stock TPI 383 stroker) said that his dyno'd out to 295 HP before flat-lining, most likely due to restricted air flow.

However one question still remains...

Is there a Hi-flow TPI plenium too; and if so, who makes it and where can I get it?

Also this very bookstore has a book I'm thinking of getting called "The chevy small block TPI swapper's guide." It covers details on the SBC L98 and B2L TPI engines.

Today I went to Orielly's to change out my serpentine belt, as I walked by one of the Orielly's associates who was helping somebody asked me if I knew where the sparkplugs would be on a Honda Civic... I simply told him that; "I don't know, I only work on American vehicles."

He told me that was the best damn answer he ever heard.
B2k4E is offline   Reply With Quote