Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-11-2011, 11:25 AM   #29
DAVID12691

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro RS
We got that same storm here in Greensboro. I was over at a friends house and had to go home but had to pull over and park under the covered "drop off zone" of a building and wait it out. It was some of the heaviest rain ii have ever seen.
DAVID12691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:47 AM   #30
wise

Drives: 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSNIGHTMARE View Post
wow, good thing u didn't have a 4th gen.
Or even worse, a 4th gen LT1.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:35 PM   #31
Lightrider

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 Hurst Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
If they were submerged it's a good chace they did. What happens is the cool water cause contraction of the fluids and the vent will actually suck in water.

Good point.
Drain the differential and be safe. And if you're already in deeper water and have a manual, try not to use the clutch and change gears. You'll suck in water and whatever junk is in it between your pressure and clutch plates.
Lightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:21 PM   #32
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
I would have to agree with Nightfall. Getting the vehicle checked for some peace of mind would be the way I would take care of it. Better safe than sorry in this sort of situation. Hopefully everything is as it should be and you are able to keep enjoying your Camaro. Keep us updated should you have the vehicle checked.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:24 PM   #33
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
Wheel bearings, and rusty piston sleeevs in the break calipers. Maybe? Anyone else?
Old 07-11-2011, 06:14 PM   #34
suplex

Drives: 2011 Coupe, 1LT, A6, No RS Package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin2fast4u View Post
So the other day i was driving on interstate 40 through the winston salem area when an awful storm started...the rain was coming down so hard and puddles of water were everywhere....had to drive 10-15 mph the entire time....then i came up on a low lying area that was at least 1-2 feet of water....There was really no stopping after i seen it, car felt like it just started floating and i barely made it through. Im surprised water didn't come through the door cracks or anything. Scared the crap out of me....i felt like i didnt even have control of the car....it just floated through it.
I believe the water was about 3 inches below the camaro emblem on the side...It was the worst experience ive had with my car.

Is there anything i need to watch out for or worry about all that water underneath the car? Could water have gotten in anything, it was clearly above the exhaust....anyone else had an experience like this?
The most amazing part of this experience is that no water came inside the car. I always heard that if water gets up to the level of your dashboard...it's totaled!

Another thing I have heard about is that Volkswagen Beetles would literally float as they were that water tight. Not sure if the newer ones that are retro styled to look like the older ones do, but the originals did float. Who knows, maybe the Camaro is water tight too?

I'm thrilled that nothing happened to it
Old 07-11-2011, 06:16 PM   #35
Nightfall
"To Punish And Enslave"

Drives: B E RS GBA #72541 3564 CC 220 CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
I would have to agree with Nightfall. Getting the vehicle checked for some peace of mind would be the way I would take care of it. Better safe than sorry in this sort of situation. Hopefully everything is as it should be and you are able to keep enjoying your Camaro. Keep us updated should you have the vehicle checked.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
even the gm guy agrees with me this boosts my ego thats awsome

C.A.M.A.R.O- Constantly Adding Modifications Addiction Relentless Obsession
90% canadian 10% mexican 100% american muscle :flag2:
Nightfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:35 PM   #36
Slick1
New Guy

Drives: Black 2011 1SS.
Quote:
All connectors are weather proof so should be no issues as long as it was freshwater. Now, if you have a CAI that draws from low in the front you were lucky not to have hydrolocked the motor. Most have no issue in the normal 3-4" puddles, but as deep as you describe even the stock air box could have ingested and the results are pretzeled rods...
Yeah Hydrolocking is no joke. I've seen a few truck motors meet their deaths from water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam 427 View Post
Something to consider...The vents for the rear end and transmission may have allowed some water get in. Might be a good idea to have them checked
Exactly what I was going to say. May want to check the oil too. If it's milky get it out of there. Chances are though that if it was less then 5 minutes you were in it then it wouldn't find it's way in there and especially if you're moving.
Slick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:35 AM   #37
GrandPrixGXP

Drives: Grand Prix GXP
So it is possible to get a CAI that's safe in higher water?
GrandPrixGXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:22 AM   #38
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by formare View Post
Wheel bearings, and rusty piston sleeevs in the break calipers. Maybe? Anyone else?

The Gen 5 camaro has all sealed whelle bearings (non servicable)so no issue there, abd the brake calipers are subject to water all the time so no issues there.

Good thought though!

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:50 AM   #39
Nightfall
"To Punish And Enslave"

Drives: B E RS GBA #72541 3564 CC 220 CI
Quote:
The Gen 5 camaro has all sealed whelle bearings (non servicable)so no issue there, abd the brake calipers are subject to water all the time so no issues there.

Good thought though!

did not know the wheel bearings were sealed good to know ugh would suck to have them replaced then fixed THE HORROR

C.A.M.A.R.O- Constantly Adding Modifications Addiction Relentless Obsession
90% canadian 10% mexican 100% american muscle :flag2:
Nightfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #40
justin2fast4u

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancygrl View Post
Where the heck on I-40 was this? Just want to know so I don't ever go that way when it rains

right through winston salem, like right by the city right before the ballpark if ur heading west....one of the downhill areas, im guessing the drains are clogged or something, water was just sitting...it had only been raining for 15 minutes
justin2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote