Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
nele22

Drives: 2012 SS
Looking for an Opti Coat install

Does anyone have an idea of labor to have opti coat applied? Are there any dealers within a reasonable drive from Missouri?

I am seriously considering this for my 12 Summit White.
nele22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Well, opticoating a car is the easy part. It's polishing to perfection prior to application that's hard. If your car is perfect already (to tell check your paint in the sunlight, do you see any scratches ANYWHERE?) then all the detailer has to do is apply the opticoat and it shouldn't be more than $100.

If your detailer has to polish and opticoat, it can get expensive. 400+ would be my guess.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
Well, opticoating a car is the easy part. It's polishing to perfection prior to application that's hard. If your car is perfect already (to tell check your paint in the sunlight, do you see any scratches ANYWHERE?) then all the detailer has to do is apply the opticoat and it shouldn't be more than $100.

If your detailer has to polish and opticoat, it can get expensive. 400+ would be my guess.
Minimum.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Minimum.

I'd do it for cheaper! But then again, I need the business lol. My detailing relies heavily on my income from other sources still unfortunately :/

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
Old 04-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
I'd do it for cheaper! But then again, I need the business lol. My detailing relies heavily on my income from other sources still unfortunately :/
Says the guy giving away Americana...
Old 04-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
molsonbrador

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2018 Colorado
Quote:

LOL. How do you spell "the sound a whip makes when it cracks"?
molsonbrador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
as stated, it depends on the state of your paint. It will need to be detailed to perfection and thats with no fillers, so you need a real pro to do it if you want it right, not the local teenager at the local car wash.

the cost will be mostly in the detail end of it. I had my car done and its totally worth it, not as much dirt sticks to it and its a permanent wax look, you dont need to wax the car again, and unless something heavy brushes it, you shouldnt need to polish or detail it again, just wash and go, so over time the cost evens out in my opinion...plus it looks amazing

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284035
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #8
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
exactly! I don't have enough client cars to put it on!

Old 04-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #9
Rhyder

I recommend getting it, its super hard, rated as the same hardness of diamonds even. It can be scratched but its resistant to it.

It resists holding as much dirt as without it as well. I've seen it resist stuff that would leave marks to be buffed out without it already. A definite investment worth doing if your keeping the car for years.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #10
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyder View Post
I recommend getting it, its super hard, rated as the same hardness of diamonds even. It can be scratched but its resistant to it.

It resists holding as much dirt as without it as well. I've seen it resist stuff that would leave marks to be buffed out without it already. A definite investment worth doing if your keeping the car for years.
Where did you see that about the diamonds? Because you can polish Opti Coat off. I can't polish diamonds with my PC.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #11
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Where did you see that about the diamonds? Because you can polish Opti Coat off. I can't polish diamonds with my PC.

It's true. There's a scale of hardness (moh?) And opticoat is one unit less than diamond. At least that's what optimum says.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #12
Rhyder

Quote:

hardness is not the same as durability, you get a plate of stainless steel, you cant scratch it with an exacto knife, you get that same plate down to a microns in depth, however thick opti coat is, you can then scratch it with the exacto knife, its still rated as hard as the stainless steel, it is in fact still stainless steel.

Hard as a diamond does not equate to unbreakable no matter what form it is in.

Oticoat being as hard as diamond should be harder to scratch than that stainless steel at the same thickness.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #13
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
It's true. There's a scale of hardness (moh?) And opticoat is one unit less than diamond. At least that's what optimum says.
So it's not the same as diamond. Thanks.
A diamond is ten. The only way to scratch diamond is with diamond. Go grab a rock and try to scratch your opticoat. Let me know how that goes.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #14
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
So it's not the same as diamond. Thanks.
A diamond is ten. The only way to scratch diamond is with diamond. Go grab a rock and try to scratch your opticoat. Let me know how that goes.

You're not taking thickness into account.