Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 05-06-2010, 01:40 AM   #1
KevinGolshani

Drives: Camaro 2 LT
How to take care of your Camaro and keep it in tip top shape?

Hey,

I'm 16 and just bought my 2010 camaro a week ago. It's my first car and I would like to know how to make sure how i can care for it best. Guidelines on common maintenance would be appreciated. Techniques on how to maintain the car could help too.

The overall picture is to have the most common ways of taking care of a camaro in one post so we can all refer to it when needed. Somthing of this nature should belong in a sticky if written out in detail and correctly, no? I was surprised to see that somthing like this wasnt already Stickied up.

Thanks Guys
KevinGolshani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Hi! Welcome to the site!
Congrats on your new ride!

There are MANY threads on basic care - oil changes, cosmetic, waxing/polishing...

I see your point about summarizing in 1 thread, but there are so many aspects to basic care...

Scan through those areas and you'll learn a lot and you can then ask questions.

Your owner's manual has a lot of info on basic care & maintenance also - read that thoroughly.
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
kpwalls06
Cory

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6;
Best advice I can offer is regular washing to keep contaminants off your paint, and regular interior cleaning to keep it looking as fresh as possible. Keep up with your fluid levels and change intervals as well, i.e. oil, coolant, brake, tranny, etc. Those are my top three, and the most basic with the largest effect, on my list of car care.

Congrats on the new ride, and good luck with keeping it beautiful!!
kpwalls06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
The simplest advice. Don't beat it. Follow all scheduled service from your dealership. Wash the exterior on a regular basis and wipe down and vacuum the insides as well. She'll last you many, many years.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:15 AM   #5
Toyaholic
It's a sickness!

Drives: '69 442 Vert
NO ARMOR ALL! One quick wipe with this stuff and the new car smell is gone forever.

Correct break-in.

Fluild changes and maint. I always do the first oil change at 1000 miles. My therory is: the break-in will leave contaminates and you want to get them out of the filter to let the oil flow free. Hey.... it can't hurt!

I waxed the inside area of the rims before there was 20 miles on the ticker. This will make it easier to clean in the future. You may want to wash the back side of the rim every wash, but this feeling will wear off soon.

Congrats on the new car. You'll love it!
Toyaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
keep it in the garage on rainy days
Old 05-07-2010, 03:53 PM   #7
joe h

Drives: victory red 2010 camaro 2ss/rs
If you go by GM's service schedule, never touch manual transmission fluid, check the automatic fluid every 50,000 miles, just peak at the clutch fluid but don't touch it until it burns, only change the differential if you are going to race after 1500 miles, don't touch the oil until you have 12,000 miles on it, leave the corrosive coolant alone until it reaches 100,000 mile or it is too late. Basically, going by their schedule is a quick way to send your car to an early grave.

But as long as you do better, your car should be fine and it will always be a debate on what is the best way to maintain a car.

Personally, at 1500 miles I changed the oil, transmission fluid, differential, and clutch.
Plan is to change motor oil and clutch fluid every 3000 mile
once every two years change the transmission and differential
and 3 years max for the coolant.
joe h is offline   Reply With Quote