Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 03-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
ericfrantz

Drives: Black/Grey Stripe 2011 Chevy Camaro
What is a tuner?

I am only 18 and don't know much about cars at all. I have a 2011 V6 Camaro. I have Magnaflow exhaust and a Cold air inductions CAI. I have been reading about tuners and many people say they can get you quick performance ups. I also read that I need a tune for my CAI. Basically I know nothing about tuners besides that they tune your car. Can someone give me some basics, or show me where I can read up on them.
ericfrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
At tune bascially changes the programming of the ECU (Engine Control Unit, sometimes called ECM for Engine Control Module). At tuner is a device used to change that programming.

You do not need a tune for your CAI. You have the Bosch ECU and it will adjust itself for the increased air flow.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
There are 2 ways to do this.

You can get a "canned" tune, where you pay less but it doesn't work for every car. I just read a thread today about how a member here used a canned tune and it didn't cooperate with his modifications. He's got a lot of rebuilding to do to drive that car again. I do not recommend a canned tune.

The better way to do this is to find a professional shop that has a dynometer, or dyno, which they can use to customize a tune to your car and modifications. They may have you do some "data logging" to see how it performs as you drive it. This will help them adjust the tune.

A tuner is a person or shop who does the tune. They use sophisticated computer software to determine what is happening inside your engine and how they can optimize its performance, fuel economy, or any other priorities that you might have. Some people use tuners to turn on or off features of their cars, like the automatic V8 guys who don't like the cylinder shutoff feature in their cars.

A tune does void your powertrain warranty. Even if you remove the tune, any damage the tune has done if it was done poorly—canned tunes aren't always perfect, and crappy shops aren't going to be much better—could result in reliability issues.

The key is to be conservative about how fast you want your car to be. It's better to drive safely than to be replacing your engine or transmission out of warranty. Those are expensive and unpleasant problems to have. It is also key to find a knowledgeable person who you trust with your car. There are a lot of great vendors here on Camaro5 that can definitely help. The first one with a good tune for the V6 was Trifecta. That might be a good place for you to start.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #4
BNRacing

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE, 2019 Camaro 2.0
Like he said ^ you don't want a canned tune, you want a custom tune for your car. I'd be happy to assist you if you decide to go that route.
BNRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
There are 2 ways to do this.

You can get a "canned" tune, where you pay less but it doesn't work for every car. I just read a thread today about how a member here used a canned tune and it didn't cooperate with his modifications. He's got a lot of rebuilding to do to drive that car again. I do not recommend a canned tune.

The better way to do this is to find a professional shop that has a dynometer, or dyno, which they can use to customize a tune to your car and modifications. They may have you do some "data logging" to see how it performs as you drive it. This will help them adjust the tune.

A tuner is a person or shop who does the tune. They use sophisticated computer software to determine what is happening inside your engine and how they can optimize its performance, fuel economy, or any other priorities that you might have. Some people use tuners to turn on or off features of their cars, like the automatic V8 guys who don't like the cylinder shutoff feature in their cars.

A tune does void your powertrain warranty. Even if you remove the tune, any damage the tune has done if it was done poorly—canned tunes aren't always perfect, and crappy shops aren't going to be much better—could result in reliability issues.

The key is to be conservative about how fast you want your car to be. It's better to drive safely than to be replacing your engine or transmission out of warranty. Those are expensive and unpleasant problems to have. It is also key to find a knowledgeable person who you trust with your car. There are a lot of great vendors here on Camaro5 that can definitely help. The first one with a good tune for the V6 was Trifecta. That might be a good place for you to start.
I thought the V6 tune was reversible? As in it doesn't void the warranty when you take it off.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
BNRacing

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE, 2019 Camaro 2.0
Trifecta tunes use a transparency mode that makes the ECM appear stock to any scanners or modules hooked up to it... We don't condone the use of this feature to commit warranty fraud.... but we can't stop you if you chose to use it for that purpose.

This is not limited to the V6. Any ECM that can utilize this feature, will. Including the V8 cars.
BNRacing is offline   Reply With Quote