Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #29
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
Best thing to maintain wheels is Farecla G10 Polish. Its a lil expensive but you can also use it for light mark removal, polishing and even keeping your plastic lights looking new. You have to use it with water. Its perfect for clearcoated/painted rims. Does no harm whatsoever to the finish.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:21 PM   #30
Chris@glimmerglass

Drives: 2001 S10, 2002 M3
Send a message via AIM to Chris@glimmerglass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Wrong. There are carnubas on the market that can last just as long as some sealants. Some carnubas are good for 4-5 months.
Can you give me a list of these carnaubas?
Old 01-29-2010, 07:51 PM   #31
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@glimmerglass View Post
Can you give me a list of these carnaubas?
I can do your research if you want to pay me but my hourly rate is pretty steep. All you have to do is visit any of the detailing forums that are not brand specific and you will find out about a bunch of them. I can however give you a start. Adam's Americana Carnuba Wax. Adam says that it will last up to 5 months depending on the environment that you keep your car in.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:18 AM   #32
Chris@glimmerglass

Quote:
I can do your research if you want to pay me but my hourly rate is pretty steep. All you have to do is visit any of the detailing forums that are not brand specific and you will find out about a bunch of them. I can however give you a start. Adam's Americana Carnuba Wax. Adam says that it will last up to 5 months depending on the environment that you keep your car in.
Hahahaa, you are funny.

Anyone can say that about their products and the cost of their time but it is all relative. In reality, in mild weather (not to hot, average UV indexes, garaged, etc) perhaps a good wax could last a few months but on average, it is probably closer to 1 to 1.5 months.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:16 AM   #33
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
Thanks! I don't know if there are any O'Reilly's out here in CA, but i'll have to go shopping around!
Kragen has just been bought by O'Reilly's - so, we have plenty!

Do a store search on their site and you will see it comes up with all the Kragen stores. You can also purchase on-line:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...3351&ppt=C0068
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #34
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Hahahaa, you are funny.

Anyone can say that about their products and the cost of their time but it is all relative. In reality, in mild weather (not to hot, average UV indexes, garaged, etc) perhaps a good wax could last a few months but on average, it is probably closer to 1 to 1.5 months.
I agree. That sounds about par for a wax. A carnuba is another story. I use it on my car. I know from experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
Kragen has just been bought by O'Reilly's - so, we have plenty!

Do a store search on their site and you will see it comes up with all the Kragen stores. You can also purchase on-line:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...3351&ppt=C0068
I have found that out of all the consumer type auto stores, they tend to carry a better selection of OEM grade products. The carry other items like Optima Red Tops and Gatorback belts.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:55 AM   #35
Chris@glimmerglass

My apologies, to clarify, I was referring to a carnauba wax with those times frames.

I think it is overly grandiose to even consider any wax to withstand more than 3 months in the best of conditions. Even if the manufacturer touts 100% carnauba. That is so misleading it isn't even funny. 100% carnauba would require a jack hammer to remove from your paint if you could even apply it at all. What they really should be indicating on their labels is 100% pure white or yellow carnauba by content which is very believable but no where identifies the true carnauba levels. The higher the true content/level the more difficult it becomes to remove.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:02 PM   #36
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
My apologies, to clarify, I was referring to a carnauba wax with those times frames.

I think it is overly grandiose to even consider any wax to withstand more than 3 months in the best of conditions. Even if the manufacturer touts 100% carnauba. That is so misleading it isn't even funny. 100% carnauba would require a jack hammer to remove from your paint if you could even apply it at all. What they really should be indicating on their labels is 100% pure white or yellow carnauba by content which is very believable but no where identifies the true carnauba levels. The higher the true content/level the more difficult it becomes to remove.
This is why I always explain to people that you wipe on Americana, and then you wipe it off. You don't let it haze or you will need to chisel it off. This is also why it provides such long lasting protection.

You should do some experimenting with it in your arsenal. You will be surprised at how long it last. Like I said before, I'm only going by experience, not what Adam says.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:05 PM   #37
superstockcam

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3
I bought the most amazing metal polish for my wheels at the drag races a week before my car arrived.... Does anyone have clearcoat polish?
Old 01-31-2010, 05:38 AM   #38
Chris@glimmerglass

Quote:
This is why I always explain to people that you wipe on Americana, and then you wipe it off. You don't let it haze or you will need to chisel it off. This is also why it provides such long lasting protection.

You should do some experimenting with it in your arsenal. You will be surprised at how long it last. Like I said before, I'm only going by experience, not what Adam says.
I appreciate your view and am definitely going to test it out. However, even in the best of conditions, the likely hood of any carnauba product lasting longer than 3 months is unrealistic and in this business, I am rarely surprised.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:55 AM   #39
Black LS3

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS LS3
Quote:
Maybe i need me some of those Wagner brake pads....

Are these the ones:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web..._1175196039___
Yeah,... I dont know why he just didnt give us the Model # of the Brake Pads that he bought, I think doing a search by product and model # is easier than doing a search by a Manufacture and still having to come back and ask Hey,... Is this the one???

Normally when I'm talking about a product that I bought and if someone else is interested in the same one I would at least provide the part # of the thing I bought if you know what I mean,...

Quote:
I appreciate your view and am definitely going to test it out. However, even in the best of conditions, the likely hood of any carnauba product lasting longer than 3 months is unrealistic and in this business, I am rarely surprised.
^ ,... I like this guy for some reason.
I'm still confused about which product to buy for my wheels,...
How about that Mothers FX Spray Wax that I've seen on TV?

I'm disabled due to having 4 back surgeries and 2 fusions in my lower back, I have 4 of my lowest lvl's all fused together so bending and twisting are pretty much out for me so i need something even easier to apply and remove even if i have to do it more often.

Spray on and wipe off sounds to be about my speed,... Something i can do quickly.
But as far as Brake Pads ago I'm always for buying a good pad that doesnt crap all over my wheels.
Magnaflow 2.50" Tru-X X-Pipe.
AirAid Cold Air Intake System.

11.21.09 1100 Order Accepted At Dealer - 11.24.09 2000 Accepted At GM - 11.25.09 2500 Preferenced - 12.03.09 3000 Production Control Notes: 01/11/2010 - 12.17.09 3400 Order Broadcast - 01.13.10 3800 Order Produced VIN # 2G1FT1E - 01.25.10 4000 Available to Ship from Rail Yard by Truck - 01.27.10 5000 Delivered to the Dealership - 01-27-10 6000 Delivered to Customer.
Black LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:28 AM   #40
promod55

Drives: 2010 camaro rs/ss 67 camaro
Quote:

Junkman,Its quite obvious that he does not know the power of adams.I use it on all my car trailers and my toy hauler and they do last.If they didnt i would not use them.It takes a lot of work to do the trailers and i cant spend alot of time polishing.It does last.
promod55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:05 AM   #41
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black LS3 View Post
Yeah,... I dont know why he just didnt give us the Model # of the Brake Pads that he bought, I think doing a search by product and model # is easier than doing a search by a Manufacture and still having to come back and ask Hey,... Is this the one???

Normally when I'm talking about a product that I bought and if someone else is interested in the same one I would at least provide the part # of the thing I bought if you know what I mean,...
Sorry Black, you probably missed the part about which car I drive. It's a Corvette, not a Camaro so I don't exactly know what the part numbers are for a Camaro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by promod55 View Post
Junkman,Its quite obvious that he does not know the power of adams.I use it on all my car trailers and my toy hauler and they do last.If they didnt i would not use them.It takes a lot of work to do the trailers and i cant spend alot of time polishing.It does last.

GlimmerGlass and I will just agree to disagree. Since he runs a detailing business, I can understand why. I never doubt what a professional product that I haven't tried will do. For all I know, the different products on the market could be made under the same roof and have different labels slapped on them. That is the way it is with a lot of products; car batteries are a good example.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:14 AM   #42
obe1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 IOM, 1995 Blown Z28
This link shows the rear pad as P/N MX1053; didn't see a listing for the front Wagner pad.

Quote:
Maybe i need me some of those Wagner brake pads....

Are these the ones:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web..._1175196039___
2019 Corvette Grand Sport
obe1 is offline   Reply With Quote