Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
Hard Parker
OMWTFYB

Drives: ZL1
L99 straight pipes

As of right now i have the muffler delete and it sounds awesome but i wanna go louder while still being cheap...i know right heresy....how much louder would stright pipes be from the cats all the way back or is this overkill?

Click HERE to follow my build!!
Click HERE to follow me on Instagram

#savethemanuals
Hard Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
It will be a good bit louder but whether it is "loud enough" is completely up to your ear alone. When you remove an L99 mid-section, the resonator comes out. The resonator is what compensates for the noise created by the AFM when it kicks in. Most people do not like the sound of the AFM without the resonator. I have never heard it personally but, based on what I have read around here, it is not a good sound for our cars.

So, you might want to consider this before going straight pipe all the way from the cats.

In case you don't know, there are two ways to remove AFM: permanently with a tune or a Range device. The Range device plugs into your OBDII port and prevents the AFM from engaging as long as it is plugged in.

There are other things to consider depending on your preferences and goals for your car but this is a good place to start.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT-SS View Post
It will be a good bit louder but whether it is "loud enough" is completely up to your ear alone. When you remove an L99 mid-section, the resonator comes out. The resonator is what compensates for the noise created by the AFM when it kicks in. Most people do not like the sound of the AFM without the resonator. I have never heard it personally but, based on what I have read around here, it is not a good sound for our cars.

So, you might want to consider this before going straight pipe all the way from the cats.

In case you don't know, there are two ways to remove AFM: permanently with a tune or a Range device. The Range device plugs into your OBDII port and prevents the AFM from engaging as long as it is plugged in.

There are other things to consider depending on your preferences and goals for your car but this is a good place to start.
Drone and the noise from AFM is taken care of in the factory J pipes. The resonators just tone the exhaust down a little.

OP. Just know that if you remove the factory resonator section, you'll not only remove the resonators but the factory H pipe as well. It's been shown on numerous occasions that this car will lose hp/tq if it doesn't have a crossover of some sort. Many remove the L99 resonator section for the weight alone but add in a light weight X pipe in it's place. The Magnaflow true X pipe is probably the cheapest name brand X pipe at around $75. There are several copies of it on Ebay. Note that many of them are mild steel which may or may not be a problem for you. There's one that I've seen that's 409SS which is the same metal that's in your OEM exhaust and will last for a LONG time. I think the 409SS version is around $35.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:39 AM   #4
RJT-SS

I know that the J pipes in the stock mufflers are for the drone but I have read numerous posts that state the resonator is to dampen the noise created by the AFM. Here's one thread.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82941

See post 12.

Forgot about mentioning that the H pipe gets removed with the mid-section. Thanks.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:49 AM   #5
Easton091

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I have headers, no cats and a corsa exhaust. It is very loud. I actually cant start my car in the morning in my attached garage or I will rattle the walls of the house and wake up my kids. The popping when coming off the accelerator actually sounds like a gun shot. Im getting that tuned out ASAP
Old 07-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT-SS View Post
I know that the J pipes in the stock mufflers are for the drone but I have read numerous posts that state the resonator is to dampen the noise created by the AFM. Here's one thread.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82941

See post 12.

Forgot about mentioning that the H pipe gets removed with the mid-section. Thanks.
That's what resonators do but it only muffles it a little. The J pipes do most of the work. AFM needs all the help it can get since you can still hear it on a completely stock exhaust.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #7
RJT-SS

You're right that the AFM needs all the help it can get to cancel it out. I guess that's why many of us tune it out or use the Range device.

Well, hopefully the OP is still keeping up with this and we helped a bit.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:00 PM   #8
dankv6

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS Dusk Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Drone and the noise from AFM is taken care of in the factory J pipes. The resonators just tone the exhaust down a little.

OP. Just know that if you remove the factory resonator section, you'll not only remove the resonators but the factory H pipe as well. It's been shown on numerous occasions that this car will lose hp/tq if it doesn't have a crossover of some sort. Many remove the L99 resonator section for the weight alone but add in a light weight X pipe in it's place. The Magnaflow true X pipe is probably the cheapest name brand X pipe at around $75. There are several copies of it on Ebay. Note that many of them are mild steel which may or may not be a problem for you. There's one that I've seen that's 409SS which is the same metal that's in your OEM exhaust and will last for a LONG time. I think the 409SS version is around $35.
anyone know how much hp lose
dankv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:00 PM   #9
Vaninash

Drives: 2012. 45th 2SS VERT
I just completed this mod and it is absolutely the way to go x pipe resonator delete and muffler delete there's no better sound on a Camaro.. get in touch with DynoSteve and have his tune done the Afm will be turned off which is an absolute must..and your L99 will become a beast
Old 12-08-2017, 02:21 AM   #10
Galonso$*

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post

If this is true how much does it lose? I’ve been running straight pipes for a about good year and half..
Old 12-08-2017, 07:57 AM   #11
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
You really don't want to do straight pipes without an xpipe. Ditch the cats if you want it louder. I run headers, no cats and a muffler delete and it is very loud especially when you get on it.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:13 PM   #12
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
Don't go full straight pipe, I did and regretted it immediately. When you floor it, it falls flat on its face. I went back the next day and got a Magnaflow X pipe installed and much better with my muffler delete.

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote