Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 03-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #15
eggydoo

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogey View Post
I'm talking about a real tonneau, not just some cover for the top when it's down. Were I to buy a vert, a full tonneau would be a must. Otherwise you have bird crap, and a-holes of all kinds to deal with. Saw a guy pitch a empty soda cup into a Stang the other day.
I don't understand why people leave their top down while their vehicle is unattended.
I have owned two convertibles and it doesn't take long to close and open, and back then it was all manual!

1) why leave your nice leather baking in the sun?
2) why give an open invitation to a-holes like you mentioned to vandalize your car?
eggydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #16
Fogey

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6, IOM
eggydoo-good post

I am an old fart and the last vert I had was in the late 70's. Putting the top up was a pita so a good, full cover, simple to operate tonneau was a must. Probably modern tops are much easier to operate. Maybe even easier than zipping up a tonneau and snapping a couple of buttons on the dash. My age is showing.
Fogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #17
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
I'm talking about a real tonneau, not just some cover for the top when it's down. Were I to buy a vert, a full tonneau would be a must. Otherwise you have bird crap, and a-holes of all kinds to deal with. Saw a guy pitch a empty soda cup into a Stang the other day.
You mean this?
This sounds like what you are talking about, I had never seen anything like this but it looks really goofy.
Attached Images

SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #18
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtjackal View Post
After talking with Al Oppenheiser at the chicago auto show, he said that they had a fleet of vert camaros for testing and that all had plenty of testing miles on them, after all that I can't believe that none of the testers had this same problem,
I am not doubting it happened to you I am just wondering if you didn't secured the tonneau correctly.
Took one of those to Florida over Thanksgiving. It takes just a bit of practice to get it on right. But if you have the two front clips properly secured, and yes it takes some practice because the two buttons are down low and not easy to see, and if you have it tucked in on both sides and along the back so the edges of the cover aren't exposed, there should be no way it could get air under it.

That being said, it could/should be easier to install. But with practice I was able to get it on and off, securely and easily.

But as Fbodfather suggests, it is possible your dealer didn't install the buttons correctly and the top wasn't well secured regardless of what you did.

But to get it installed, I found tucking in the sides and back first then flipping the leading edge down and buttoning the clips down to be the easiest way to get it on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLarry View Post
Before everyone dumps their GM stock , lets look at this objectively...

I suspect GM would have tested this, so it's probably not a design flaw. Which leaves two possibilities: user error (dealer or owner), or quality control issue. If its a quality issue, it would be the equivalent of the coupe's spoiler coming loose and flapping around - not a likely scenario given GM new found ability to build quality cars.
Never had a problem with a week of top down driving. And to give it a proper evaluation, I had the cover on and off all that week.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:34 PM   #19
modawg2k

Drives: Topless 2SS/RS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
You mean this?
This sounds like what you are talking about, I had never seen anything like this but it looks really goofy.
If that's not the height of 'coolness', then I don't know what is....
modawg2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:44 PM   #20
Fogey

SUX2bu= Do live in some poverty belt?

Every super car ragtop, Ferrari, Porsche, Maserati, Lambo come with tonneaus that look exactly like. You want bird shit on your leather seats. Be my guest
Old 03-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #21
DaddySS
Kept The Faith

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Just my .02 but before you call for a recall and re-design, have you made sure it was correctly installed? I find it hard to believe that with all of the testing the "75mph normal driving" test wasn't included.
DaddySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #22
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
Every super car ragtop, Ferrari, Porsche, Maserati, Lambo come with tonneaus that look exactly like. You want bird shit on your leather seats. Be my guest
No need to be a smart ass, I just have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe you could post a pic.

I googled "convertible full tonneau" and these are the only pictures that came up that would cover your seats and prevent people throwing trash in your car and bird shit like you said.
Looks like it would just be easier and better looking to put your top up.
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2011, 06:42 PM   #23
Fogey

Sorry I was smart ass, but--

You posted a picture of a blue roadster with a classic tonneau, then you posted another one with some kind of mickey mouse cover. Keep you eyes open when you see ragtop cars and sooner or later you'll see a car with a full tonneau. I just ran up to the store and in the parking lot was a new,paper plates, Ferrari with a tonneau just like the one on the blue roadster, but it was weather treated tan leather and fit like a freakin glove. Not goofy, just very cool.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:58 PM   #24
dahulk

Drives: '11 RS SYNERGY GREEN, 09 Corvette
Send a message via Yahoo to dahulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post

T.

+1
Old 03-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #25
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
You posted a picture of a blue roadster with a classic tonneau, then you posted another one with some kind of mickey mouse cover. Keep you eyes open when you see ragtop cars and sooner or later you'll see a car with a full tonneau. I just ran up to the store and in the parking lot was a new,paper plates, Ferrari with a tonneau just like the one on the blue roadster, but it was weather treated tan leather and fit like a freakin glove. Not goofy, just very cool.
I think i now know what you are talking about. Like on this car http://californiaclassix.com/archive...Elan_c128.html
I google imaged "Ferrari full tonneau cover" and still couldn't find a picture of one on a Ferrari. I have loved convertibles since I had my first one in high school 13 years ago and always every time I see a nice looking one but I can honestly say I have never seen one of these covers. From what I just read it seems like a great idea for cars that have a removable one piece hard top you can't take with you or an old car that is a huge pain to put the top up. With the 20 seconds it takes to put the top up I guess i just don't see the draw on these cars.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #26
debilouobxers

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago77 View Post
Had my vert for 4 days now... hadn't put the top UP since the dealer and I lowered it and installed the (cheap, worthless) tanneau cover before leaving the lot. I Have put 150 miles on the car, mostly driving around town. I hit the hwy this morning and noticed the tanneau cover gettig "wind ripples" near the center as I cruised through.mornig rushhour at 75 mph...then suddenly- pop, there goes one side snap (mind you, there's only 2), and the covers loose and flappin!!! I immediately slowed, got to the shoulder and put it back in place... this is NOT a good sign.

Im gonna contact GM today and let them.know... if ANYONE else is experiencing similar issues, please do the same. These coveres appear very cheaply made and horribly secured. Perhaps if enough people.complain, we can get a recall and a redesign!
When I got my Vert, the posts were in the glove compartment!!! I had them installed today, but it's still 30 degrees out so I did not drive w/ the top down - I thought they were pretty cheap and only two!!! I also had the molded mud flaps installed. I'll post pics of those 2morro - they turned out really nice. The tires are so much wider than the body that they will really save all the knicks from stones and stuff from the crappy Pittsburgh roads we have around here. Still no other verts showing up around here, in fact while my car was in the shop, the other salesmen were coming by to see it since they haven't seen any other verts yet.

debilouobxers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:50 PM   #27
Fogey

Sux2bu-You got it. That's a classic tonneau

As I posted earlier, I'm an old fart and you are probably right that it is easier to just put the top up. I live in SoCal and because of the normally warm weather a lot of the supercar owners almost never put the top up and tonneaus are very popular. Most of the tonneaus are custom made.
In the 60's I had an Alfa Romeo Guilietta (my dailey driver) ragtop and had a custom tonneau made that had a hole for my head on the drivers side. If it rained, you pulled the tonneau over your head, tightened a drawstring, wiggled your left arm around to snap it down and for a year, just to see if I could, I never put the top up. I lived across the street from a very well known top and tonneau maker and he got a big kick out of making mine.
Anyway, except for the rich in warm climates I guess they are becoming a part of the past.

BTW- What Chevy calls a tonneau cover is called a boot cover by the rest of the world. Look for Porsche Boxster tonneaus. They look much like the Lotus tonneaus
Old 03-02-2011, 12:48 AM   #28
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Thanks for the input guys- ill definitely have.to research the thread showing the diagram of the post installs, with the weather today, I had the top up and down a few times, and this clips are a serious pain to attach- I have a fairly large laceration on my hand to prove it!

I didn't think to photograph anything at the time, I was focused on not getting squished during rush hilour on the shoulder of a 6 lane hwy! I believe it was installed properly- the edges were all tucked under and the forks/clips fastened. That's actually where it came loose- one unhooked. Even after I reinstalled it.and.checked evrything, I still saw wind ripples on the top of the cover as I drove. That may be normal due to the wind on the fabric, but after the initial incident, it had me nervous.

Those clips just appear very poorly made- and the open ended hooks with the thin plastic seem prone to wearig, bending or outright breaking. In my humble opinion, it just seems like.a very cheap clasping mechanism.

For those looking for pix- check the 2/7 TPW thread; I've got about 8 posts worth of pix- from the car coming off the truck to my latest cosmetic mods! Also included are pix of the tanneau, new spoiler / xm, and picks of the new bracing underneath.
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote