Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
Blue Maro Demon

Drives: 2010 AQUA BLUE CAMARO RS
New Cadillac ATS Article

Hope it translates well to the new 6th Gen Camaro. We could have us an awd & rear wheel drive 6th gen thats very light.

http://www.lsxtv.com/news/alpha-base...xt-gen-camaro/
Old 07-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
Blue Maro Demon

Drives: 2010 AQUA BLUE CAMARO RS
F-body fans should get acquainted with the lightweight Alpha based ATS and it’s power train line up as it will migrate over to the next iteration of the Camaro for 2016. LS power is promised to fit the engine bay so we can expect performance versions of both the ATS and Camaro. Not only will the ATS shake up the status quo in the sports sedan segment, a 500lbs lighter Camaro will up the stakes in the retro pony car wars as well.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
Taintedveins
Shark attack!

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
500 pounds lighter with a v6 capable of 350 hp+ and a gen v v8 with 450-475 (if they don't lower the output) Sounds good.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:11 AM   #4
COPO_Chevy

Drives: 2015 Malibu 1LT; '87 Grand Prix LE
Send a message via MSN to COPO_Chevy
Assuming it will have similar weight dimensions as the ATS, the 6th gen Camaro might not have to increase power out put much, if at all, to have noticeably better performance numbers (and they really don't have to improve the current stats by much, IMO.) However, I don't think we'll see as big of a weight drop as some are thinking or hoping for. I'll be guesstimating weight of around 3600, if any significant weight drop. We don't know enough about the 6th gen's Alpha chassis to know weight amounts for sure. It would be great to have a lighter 6th gen in the 3400lb's range, but I just don't think it be that drastic a drop.

What I'm really interested in seeing, more so than the Alpha chassis weight in the 6th gen, are the Gen V v8 engines. They really sound like the cat's meow from the little info we have so far..
COPO_Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPO_Chevy View Post
Assuming it will have similar weight dimensions as the ATS, the 6th gen Camaro might not have to increase power out put much, if at all, to have noticeably better performance numbers (and they really don't have to improve the current stats by much, IMO.) However, I don't think we'll see as big of a weight drop as some are thinking or hoping for. I'll be guesstimating weight of around 3600, if any significant weight drop. We don't know enough about the 6th gen's Alpha chassis to know weight amounts for sure. It would be great to have a lighter 6th gen in the 3400lb's range, but I just don't think it be that drastic a drop.

What I'm really interested in seeing, more so than the Alpha chassis weight in the 6th gen, are the Gen V v8 engines. They really sound like the cat's meow from the little info we have so far..
Agreed.

As discussed in the other ongoing ATS thread here the current weight of the ATS with V6, MRC suspension, and Brembo breaks is 3,460 lbs. While not as light as some hope..thats still a 250 to 300 lb drop from the Camaro V6.

So refering to what COPO_Chevy said about about not really needing any more power to perform much better...it is also being reported that the ATS V6 does 0 - 60 in 5.4 seconds which is somewhere around .3 to .4 of a second faster than the Camaro V6...all because of weight (ATS even has same gear ratio).

Based on that, I believe we will see a base camaro in the 3,4xx range and an SS model in the 3,5xx range....maybe close to or just over 3,600 lbs but hopefully less.

500 lbs lost would utterly shock me, but man would that make for some very exciting rides even if the power levels stayed exactly the same.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Agreed.

As discussed in the other ongoing ATS thread here the current weight of the ATS with V6, MRC suspension, and Brembo breaks is 3,460 lbs. While not as light as some hope..thats still a 250 to 300 lb drop from the Camaro V6.

So refering to what COPO_Chevy said about about not really needing any more power to perform much better...it is also being reported that the ATS V6 does 0 - 60 in 5.4 seconds which is somewhere around .3 to .4 of a second faster than the Camaro V6...all because of weight (ATS even has same gear ratio).

Based on that, I believe we will see a base camaro in the 3,4xx range and an SS model in the 3,5xx range....maybe close to or just over 3,600 lbs but hopefully less.

500 lbs lost would utterly shock me, but man would that make for some very exciting rides even if the power levels stayed exactly the same.
The great thing is that there is probably some weight loss that can be had be replacing with bolt-ons (I think replacing the full L99 exhaust with headers, etc can result in close to 80 lbs being dropped from the car). Also, the Cadillac probably has some extra equipment for luxury benefits (noise canceling and sound deadening) which could be worth some weight as well.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
man that ATS looks good
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #8
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Maro Demon View Post
F-body fans should get acquainted with the lightweight Alpha based ATS and it’s power train line up as it will migrate over to the next iteration of the Camaro for 2016. LS power is promised to fit the engine bay so we can expect performance versions of both the ATS and Camaro. Not only will the ATS shake up the status quo in the sports sedan segment, a 500lbs lighter Camaro will up the stakes in the retro pony car wars as well.
Here's the plan:

LS/LT 2.5L I4 $25-30K
SS 3.6L V6 $35-40K
ZL1 GEN-V V8 $55-60K

Give or take a bit, but this is where all current indicators point to where it will end up.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
500 pounds lighter with a v6 capable of 350 hp+ and a gen v v8 with 450-475 (if they don't lower the output) Sounds good.
I see very little chance of them shaving 500 lbs off the car. That would put a 4 seater camaro into vette weight range which I don't see happening. I think the hp output is within range of what they can do depending on how much CAFE standards kill power output.

Quote:
However, I don't think we'll see as big of a weight drop as some are thinking or hoping for. I'll be guesstimating weight of around 3600, if any significant weight drop. We don't know enough about the 6th gen's Alpha chassis to know weight amounts for sure. It would be great to have a lighter 6th gen in the 3400lb's range, but I just don't think it be that drastic a drop.
Quote:
I think these are realistic weights and probably what we are likely to see. Around 100 lbs less if things go well and around 100 lbs more if they don't. The current V8 weight 3860 lbs with a manual transmission. Take 300 lbs off that (which is significant) and that puts you at 3560 lbs for a V8. The V6 version should be a little lighter.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:28 AM   #10
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
I see very little chance of them shaving 500 lbs off the car. That would put a 4 seater camaro into vette weight range which I don't see happening. I think the hp output is within range of what they can do depending on how much CAFE standards kill power output.
That's not going to happen. Power output will not be harmed at all. That would be bad publicity. Power output will remain the same or possibly go up. Wallet output will necessarily have a much more profound increase.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote