Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 08-16-2014, 09:14 PM   #1
snaphappy

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS2/RS LS3
Boss vs ZL1 vs Viper for Investment

Right now I drive a fully loaded SS2/RS vert, tan top, tan leather. I think a good 20-30 years down the road it will be a very nice classic. It's not going to be worth bazillions, but it will do fine.

But let's say I wanted to drop 30k on a car and get a very decent return when I'm getting ready to retire in 30 years...

Would you pick a 2000 Viper GTS? ZL1? or Boss 302? Any other cars you'd suggest?? I'm leaning toward the Viper.

I know Boss's and ZL1's are 40-45 right now. But they'll drop to 30-35 sooner or later.

Not interested in classics - I freakin' love them - but I can't sleep at night when something is mechanically wrong with a car, haha, so classics are out.
snaphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
wayne watson

Drives: 2014 camaro ss ,1967 chevelle ss,
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaphappy View Post
Right now I drive a fully loaded SS2/RS vert, tan top, tan leather. I think a good 20-30 years down the road it will be a very nice classic. It's not going to be worth bazillions, but it will do fine.

But let's say I wanted to drop 30k on a car and get a very decent return when I'm getting ready to retire in 30 years...

Would you pick a 2000 Viper GTS? ZL1? or Boss 302? Any other cars you'd suggest?? I'm leaning toward the Viper.

I know Boss's and ZL1's are 40-45 right now. But they'll drop to 30-35 sooner or later.

Not interested in classics - I freakin' love them - but I can't sleep at night when something is mechanically wrong with a car, haha, so classics are out.
not going to retire with any car, new ones are losing value while old ones hold value because of barret jackson, no other reason, before that, you could buy classics cheap..missed a 69 rt charger for 2500 bucks when i was in school, now look at them. and i'm talking 1990. may want to gamble with stocks if you think you'll strike it rich one day
Old 08-16-2014, 09:21 PM   #3
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
When I was seriously looking, ~25k can buy a pretty wonderful Buick Grand National. Around 30k and you could get a real cherry. With "Black Air" out and maybe the sequel soon, those babies get more rare everyday.

Of the ones you mentioned, the Viper GTS would be the most rare, production # wise but can you get one for 30k?
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:46 PM   #4
snaphappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne watson View Post
not going to retire with any car, new ones are losing value while old ones hold value because of barret jackson, no other reason, before that, you could buy classics cheap..missed a 69 rt charger for 2500 bucks when i was in school, now look at them. and i'm talking 1990. may want to gamble with stocks if you think you'll strike it rich one day
Only a moron would look to buy one car and think he was going to retire off of it. Goodness.

I'm going to own a decent car from this era no matter what. I'm keeping my vert. Unless I pickup a ZL1 vert. But my vert is driven often. I want a second car to drive from time to time. The second generation Viper is high on my list. I'm going to drive it here and there. Keep it in my garage. Then, when I get old, I'm going to sell it. Simple as that.

I'm absolutely not interested in classics. So y'all don't suggest 'em.

So I'll just post the question again. Boss. ZL1. Viper.

Don't write off the Boss. EVERY SINGLE car journalist in the world declared the Boss 302 the best Mustang ever made by Ford from the factory and it only ran two years.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:49 PM   #5
snaphappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Lover View Post
When I was seriously looking, ~25k can buy a pretty wonderful Buick Grand National. Around 30k and you could get a real cherry. With "Black Air" out and maybe the sequel soon, those babies get more rare everyday.

Of the ones you mentioned, the Viper GTS would be the most rare, production # wise but can you get one for 30k?
GTS for 39: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...73989353&Log=0

GTS, not as pretty, for 31: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...73540684&Log=0
Old 08-16-2014, 09:53 PM   #6
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
I seriously doubt any of the three cars listed will raise in price enough to be worth more than just investing the 30k. There are a lot of expenses involved with storing a car for 30 years. A Ford GT might work, but good luck getting one of those for under 200.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:56 PM   #7
snaphappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by derklug View Post
I seriously doubt any of the three cars listed will raise in price enough to be worth more than just investing the 30k. There are a lot of expenses involved with storing a car for 30 years. A Ford GT might work, but good luck getting one of those for under 200.
I have a house. It has a garage.

You genuinely don't believe that a Viper GTS will be worth more than 30,000 in 30 years??
Old 08-16-2014, 10:10 PM   #8
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
I don't believe it will be worth more than 30k+30 years interest. Add in storage insurance, maintenance, possible damage from mice or insects, etc. and the return is worse. Cars just aren't a good investment strategy.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:12 PM   #9
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Honestly.... Pontiac G8 GXP over all 3 of those
Old 08-16-2014, 10:20 PM   #10
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaphappy View Post
I have a house. It has a garage.

You genuinely don't believe that a Viper GTS will be worth more than 30,000 in 30 years??

In 30 years you will need 2 million to retire comfortably. Will a viper GTS be worth that...NO it probably won't fetch over 100k if people even are spending money on cars in 30 years.

The 60s musclecar market got artificially inflated due to baby boomers. They are a rare group that happened during a time that will never be duplicated.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:25 PM   #11
1fastmf

Drives: SBM G8 Gt
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelyell22 View Post
Honestly.... Pontiac G8 GXP over all 3 of those
This guy knows what he's talking about. My stryker blue metallic gt is worth almost what it cost brand new and it's now 5 years old with 15k miles. It's almost shocking how well the gxp's are holding value
1fastmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:32 PM   #12
snaphappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem View Post
In 30 years you will need 2 million to retire comfortably. Will a viper GTS be worth that...NO it probably won't fetch over 100k if people even are spending money on cars in 30 years.

The 60s musclecar market got artificially inflated due to baby boomers. They are a rare group that happened during a time that will never be duplicated.
Please read comments above. I never said I expected to retire off the car. I said I was hoping to sell it for a profit. My 401K is for my retirement. But thanks
Old 08-16-2014, 10:37 PM   #13
snaphappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by derklug View Post
I don't believe it will be worth more than 30k+30 years interest. Add in storage insurance, maintenance, possible damage from mice or insects, etc. and the return is worse. Cars just aren't a good investment strategy.
I have several friends who make their entire living by flipping cars. My uncle has made his entire fortune by buying and selling planes and cars. He stockpiled muscle cars when no one wanted them and he's selling them now for a fortune.

So cars can be a remarkable investment.

Whether the cars I mentioned will be good investments, that's the question.

But you've got to see where I'm coming from. I'm going to buy a brilliant performance car from the 95-2015 era. I just am. So I'd like to buy a car from that era that will potentially be desirable 30 years from now when I retire. A car that will be a joy to own over the next 30 years, and a joy to sell when the time comes
Old 08-16-2014, 10:38 PM   #14
snaphappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastmf View Post
This guy knows what he's talking about. My stryker blue metallic gt is worth almost what it cost brand new and it's now 5 years old with 15k miles. It's almost shocking how well the gxp's are holding value
I'm not a fan, but yeah you're absolutely right. That's a car that's going to be highly sought after for so many reasons. Hmmmm, something to think about