Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-08-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
Gnarlygianni

Drives: Black Camaro 2SS
Competitive Mode Not Working ?

I have had it work before but when i put it on competitive mode it now does not hold the RPMs at ~4600 am i doing something wrong i get the light on the dash and it shows up on the screen but when its in first clutch down and i give it gas it flys right pass 4600 and keeps going. any advice ? should i take this in to my dealer to see whats up or am i missing something.
Gnarlygianni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #2
wildthing001967
Drive fast take chances

Drives: Ice Silver SS2 RS 6sp
Has happened to me to, RPM's shoot right up to redline and kinda freaks you out. However I have heard these things: Should be on level surface, steering wheel straight, and from what I have heard is to stomp the pedal to the floor cuz if you slowly press gas it will not engage. Actually I find better with traction off and rev to about 3000-3500 and drop clutch and feather gas pedal to get best take off. I think it hooks up better then with competitive mode on.
wildthing001967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
HIGHOCTANE

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
What wildthing said.....make sure you are at a complete stop and smartly floor it...if you push the gas too slowly it will not activate.

2010 IBM 2SS/RS Camaro (M6)
Previous rides:
2003 Twin Turbo Mustang Cobra(900 RWHP)
2004 KB S/C Mustang Cobra(700 RWHP)
2003 Mustang GT,Heads,Cam, N20 ect..
HIGHOCTANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
Gnarlygianni

Drives: Black Camaro 2SS
ok will try thanks ! glad to know its not something wrong with the car (yet)
Gnarlygianni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:49 PM   #5
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Just a quick note for clarification everyone...

The feature you appear to be talking about is NOT Competitive Mode. It is Launch Control, a feature that is only available on the M6 LS-3.

All SS model cars have Competitive mode (A6 or M6). You can put the car in this mode using two taps of the TC/Stabilitrak button. When you do this, you'll see the words "Competitive Mode" appear in the DIC and the Stabilitrak icon will light up in the dash, indicating that Stabilitrak is turned off.

This mode changes your traction control and Stabilitrak settings. Launch Control is a special mode in the LS-3 that (when done correctly) holds the RPM at around 4600 RPM when the clutch is depressed and the accelerator is pushed smoothly, but quickly to full throttle. The RPM's do not redline. Then, when the clutch is released all in one movement, the car gets an optimal hook up on launch (hence the name, Launch "Control").

Not trying to be a pain, but as Camaro enthusiasts, we should know the difference! Hope this helps...

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:36 PM   #6
ALLT4

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RJT
The whole launch control thing has been nothing but quirky for me when I've tried to show people. Sometimes it's works flawlessly and other times it leaves you with egg on your face. While your friend is staring at you wondering why you're trying to blow your motor.
ALLT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:56 PM   #7
HIGHOCTANE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLT4 View Post
The whole launch control thing has been nothing but quirky for me when I've tried to show people. Sometimes it's works flawlessly and other times it leaves you with egg on your face. While your friend is staring at you wondering why you're trying to blow your motor.

The key seems to be getting the throttle all the way to the floor and doing so fairly quickly...
Someone had posted issues before and another member suggested that they floor it quickly..at the time I had used it and had not noticed that I had to do that...well what do you know next time I tried it..it didn't stop at 42-4600 ish...I thought hmmm...I might have hesitated on getting the pedal all the way to the floor..tried again but this time I made sure to do it quickly and all the way to the stop...once I got into the habit of doing those 2 things it works without fail..

Previous rides:
Old 04-08-2010, 10:03 PM   #8
HIGHOCTANE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PnCRedJwl2SS View Post
Just a quick note for clarification everyone...

The feature you appear to be talking about is NOT Competitive Mode. It is Launch Control, a feature that is only available on the M6 LS-3.
Actually,for clarification, "Launch Control" is a feature of Competitive Mode on the M6...

Previous rides:
Old 04-08-2010, 10:03 PM   #9
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Do it for fun, but it has been proven that it produces slower times than if you are launching without it. Of course that is if you know how to launch your car.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:09 PM   #10
HIGHOCTANE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Do it for fun, but it has been proven that it produces slower times than if you are launching without it. Of course that is if you know how to launch your car.

Agree...it is really just automated launching...launching for dummies if you will...it isn't IMO a substitute for driver skill...it is pretty consistent though.
Here is how I look at it..if you think the car could get away from you..use it..lose the ego...no one but you will know. Besides loosing control at the track in front of a bunch of people will be alot more embarrasing than running a tenth or even 2 slower.
Disclaimer:...it won't completely protect you from loosing control..but it does go along way toward making a launch manageble for a rookie while still turning some decent times. Had to throw that in...
But if you are trying to get the best times possible...turn everything off and drive the car..

Previous rides:
Old 04-08-2010, 10:47 PM   #11
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHOCTANE View Post
Actually,for clarification, "Launch Control" is a feature of Competitive Mode on the M6...
Not trying to argue, but I hadn't seen that anywhere (is it in the manual?). Are you saying that the Competitive Mode I described in my earlier post is somehow connected to th Launch Control feature on teh LS-3?

Doesn't seem like they really have anything to do with one another.

Just my two cents...

Old 04-08-2010, 10:55 PM   #12
HIGHOCTANE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PnCRedJwl2SS View Post
Not trying to argue, but I hadn't seen that anywhere (is it in the manual?). Are you saying that the Competitive Mode I described in my earlier post is somehow connected to th Launch Control feature on teh LS-3?

Doesn't seem like they really have anything to do with one another.

Just my two cents...

Oh but they do....on the SS M6 a feature of Competitive Mode is "Launch Control"...It is accessed the same way..press the button twice and you are in Competitive Mode...once in CM on the SS M6 if you stop and push in the clutch and put the accelerator to the floor you activate "Launch Control"...it is part of "Competitive Mode"

Previous rides:
Old 04-08-2010, 11:01 PM   #13
Rollin Thunder

Drives: 07 yukon xl, 07 vette, 10 SRT8
what they are saying is launch control wont work unless your in competitive mode.
Rollin Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:20 PM   #14
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHOCTANE View Post
Oh but they do....on the SS M6 a feature of Competitive Mode is "Launch Control"...It is accessed the same way..press the button twice and you are in Competitive Mode...once in CM on the SS M6 if you stop and push in the clutch and put the accelerator to the floor you activate "Launch Control"...it is part of "Competitive Mode"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin Thunder View Post
what they are saying is launch control wont work unless your in competitive mode.
Well, son of a gun...I stand corrected. Thanks for that tidbit! I was not aware of that requirement. I have the L99 A6, and that detail had escaped me!

Cool--learn something new every day!