Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-25-2011, 03:00 PM   #113
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pt_killa View Post
Plastic Intake Manifold Noooooooo!!!! I hope its thick and rigid because I have very bad memories from the manifold on my old mustang.
It's composite, which means it's probably just like our V8 manifolds. Over a decade and no one has had a problem with the rigidity of the LSx manifolds.....
Old 08-25-2011, 03:07 PM   #114
Pt_killa

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
It's composite, which means it's probably just like our V8 manifolds. Over a decade and no one has had a problem with the rigidity of the LSx manifolds.....
Well in that case statement retracted! Even though aftermarket headers aren't an option, it looks like there is a lot of space to bolt up turbo's right off of the engine. An engine bay mounted single turbo may also be possible with all of that space. Can't wait to see what can be done!
Pt_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:16 PM   #115
Zachary Hendrix

Drives: 2008 Z06 Corvette
Send a message via Skype™ to Zachary Hendrix
Fugly intake manny, too conservative gauges, and a Cruze steering wheel... glad I hopped out of it before this came along, the video made me miss my baby :(
3.8 Tested 0-60
8.02 @ 100.4MPH: 1/8 Mile
11.78 @ 120.2: 1/4 Mile
Zachary Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:14 PM   #116
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary Hendrix View Post
Fugly intake manny, too conservative gauges, and a Cruze steering wheel... glad I hopped out of it before this came along, the video made me miss my baby :(
I don't know how many times it has been said but it is NOT A CRUZE STEERING WHEEL, IT IS CLOSER TO THE VOLT.
I agree though that is one hideous manifold, and the gauges not feeling them either.
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:45 PM   #117
shevyman

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
only thing he missed is the LFX but gives you a look at the LFX and the sound at idle
i got my car from this dealer. great people.

i noticed that the tach and speedo are different. is that cause its a v6 or is that the new style?

like how they have the back up cam on the mirror good choice.
shevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:47 PM   #118
esperman
You Can Call Me Jay

Drives: 2010 1LT RJT Manual w/CAI & Solo
Quote:
lets hope so. The plastic manifolds on GM's 3.4 V6 were famous for leaking and cracking. (or just exploding ) and usually after warranty too.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/04/15/g...se-by-case-ba/
esperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:39 AM   #119
PercyJWellingtonIII
Account Suspended

Drives: pontiac
Quote:
Please do so.

I have yet to see any on this forum.

Thats because only the first few just came out about a week or so ago.
PercyJWellingtonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:47 AM   #120
PercyJWellingtonIII
Account Suspended

Drives: pontiac
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Holy cow...I wasn't expecting a plastic intake manifold...no wonder they were able to lose weight! Should also cost less....shouldn't it??

Yeah, many of us V6 owners like to run without the engine cover, but with this...there is no way I'd run without it. Ughh....

But...if it was an easy way for more power I'd do it! Just pretty up my engine cover!

Outside is plastic but the inside is composite, so composite cost more and probably balances out in cost.
PercyJWellingtonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:28 AM   #121
R6P

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by esperman View Post
lets hope so. The plastic manifolds on GM's 3.4 V6 were famous for leaking and cracking. (or just exploding ) and usually after warranty too.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/04/15/g...se-by-case-ba/
Um, those were gaskets leaking coolant, not the manifolds. The 3.4 V6 had an aluminum intake manifold with a composite gasket.
Also, there is no coolant flowing through our V6 intake, it won't be an issue for the LFX.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #122
esperman
You Can Call Me Jay

Drives: 2010 1LT RJT Manual w/CAI & Solo
Quote:
Originally Posted by R6P View Post
Um, those were gaskets leaking coolant, not the manifolds. The 3.4 V6 had an aluminum intake manifold with a composite gasket.
Also, there is no coolant flowing through our V6 intake, it won't be an issue for the LFX.
um..no, not all. My parents had a Monte Carlo with a composite manifold, and the upper material of the MANIFOLD itself degraded, and started leaking. Was not limited to the 3.4 either. My 2.2 I4 needed a new manifold too.

http://bernardsblog.blogspot.com/200...te-intake.html
esperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #123
R6P

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
um..no, not all. My parents had a Monte Carlo with a composite manifold, and the upper material of the MANIFOLD itself degraded, and started leaking. Was not limited to the 3.4 either. My 2.2 I4 needed a new manifold too.

OK, that's a different link, to a different engine (3800), with a different condition. As that link states, there is an EGR passage within the intake, the lower intake had a steel fitting that passed through the upper composite intake, on the early models, they found there was insufficient clearance between the two, that was later corrected by using a smaller diameter fitting on the lower intake.

Rest assured, the 3.6 engine has no EGR and no coolant circulated though it's intake.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:37 AM   #124
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:

First off, the article clearly states that the gasket, not the intake manifold itself was the issue. The 3.4 L32 and Buick 3.8 3800 were two completely different engines. The 3.4 did not have a composite intake manifold. If you'd even seen a 3.4 under a hood you would have easily seen this. The later 3800 engines did however switch from aluminum to composite intake manifolds.

Second, their isn't a single mention of the composite degrading in that second article. A hole wore into the side of the intake because a fitting was too large. There's a difference between the degradation of the composite material, and the vibration piece of metal wearing a hole in the side of it.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #125
ven

Drives: 2012 1ls camaro all black (so far)
i just took delivery of my 2012 1ls camaro yesterday, i love it all but would have preferred the old wheel and gauges! way i see it is even though i lost those i gained a spoiler cool taillights and all the blue tooth and hands free stuff without having to pay extra. ill be in heaven with a backup camera kit from ofer and an mrt 2.0 exhaust
ven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:48 AM   #126
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Is the '12 LFX in the Camaro E85? Has anyone checked for sure that it has a yellow E85 gas cap?
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote