Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 09-05-2013, 02:49 AM   #1
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
General Legalese Used Car and CARFAX

I bought a 2003 Cavalier with 62,000 miles back in September 2009 with a clean absolutely no issue Carfax report. The car for lack of a better word was perfect. This was my daily driver after buying my 10 Camaro.

Since the purchase, the engine has been burning tons of oil (4 quarts over 5k) has a SES light (emissions) and fuel economy decreased 20%

I change the oil faithfully with Pennzoil Platinum every 5k.

The problem is this. The engine in the car is NOT the original engine that the car was delivered with from the dealer. The Carfax provided to me by the dealer stated there were no issues when I bought it and did not specify an engine swap.

The title was clear with no issues and remains so.

Reading the CARFAX states blah, blah blah, 90 days, etc. I realize I may not and probably do not have a claim with CARFAX, but perhaps the dealer? Understand 4 years has passed, but the CARFAX showed impeccable service docs and oil changes every 3-4k by a dealer. The engine had 89k miles on it when I started noticing it was burning 4 quarts every 5k. Engine now has 108k. Again, I am meticulous with maintenance, upkeep...etc.

As well, the car had been repainted in a quarter panel and front right...again, not specified in the CARFAX. I surmise the car was wrecked, repaired on the side, and not documented....then resold.

I drove 200 miles after searching for 6 weeks for this "perfect car" out of state for the reasons the CARFAX was essentially perfect with impeccable service records.

Suggestions?
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:12 AM   #2
driyac

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
No suggestions. Carfax is bullshit.
Wrecked my old equinox 3 times, me twice someone else once. None of it was in carfax. Also had my engine replaced not on it either. Take it for what you will.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:43 AM   #3
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
NEVER trust a car just by a Carfax report alone. Never. It's like a credit report. It's only as good as the information inputted. If no info, it won't be there. It can be helpful at times, but times like this, it's worth it's weight in helium.

Now you know why.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:19 AM   #4
the_fast_one

Drives: 2017 red hot zl1
About the only thing you can do is repair the motor. It's impossible to prove the new it had a motor swap and all they have to say is you did it.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:02 AM   #5
TX_ED_SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Inferno Orange
CarFax is only as good as the information that gets reported to them. Since it has been four years since you bought the car the dealership will probably be no help either. I say start looking for a new engine or sell that beast!

U.S. Army Retired
TX_ED_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:29 AM   #6
LStick

Drives: 2021 Shadow Gray 1LS
I almost bought a '10 Cobalt as a daily driver. 2300 miles. Used car at a Dodge dealer.
I was traveling 200 miles to look at it the next day, sign the papers, and buy it.
When they were gassing it up, the porter noticed it pulling right and clunking.
Closer inspection revealed a couple of hand tools under the hood.
CLEAN CARFAX MEANT SH-T.
Someone wrecked the car , and fixed it under the radar. Traded it in on a new Challenger
Needless to say, I passed on it.

Your "108000 mile motor" probably dangled off of someones backyard swingset 5 or 6 years ago.
LStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:45 AM   #7
ROBOSSRS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS Inferno Orange
CARFAX is a money making scheme. After I bought my 95 Cavalier LS , I paid for a CARFAX just to see what it said. I had the car for ten years (with no problems) and traded it on my Camaro. CARFAX reported my car as a 95 Cavalier Z24.
ROBOSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote