Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-23-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
DevilKnightFalcon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
Voiding the Warranty by Modding?

Alright so I wanted to get some opinions. I spoke with a dealer (not my dealer) today and heard some interesting information. First off this dealer is going to be offering painted stripe packages since so many people are mad over the flat black stripes offered by GM. I started talking to him about exhaust options and he said something that I had not heard. Apparantly (and I cannot vouch for the correctness of this information) they have been told by GM that ANY modification that results in changes to the drive train (including exhaust and wheels) using non-GM parts will void the warranty on the ENTIRE CAR. He explained that he had tried to convince GM to allow him to install flowmaster exhausts on customers cars but was told by GM that doing so would void the warranty on the entire car. He said that GM pulled a similar stunt when hybrids first came out and that they are obviously doing this because of the popularity of the car (and because it allows them to charge stupidly high prices for parts).

Anyone heard anything along these lines?

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
DevilKnightFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:58 PM   #2
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
That's with any car. GM has all those items and it doesn't void the warranty, buy GM accessories and your fine.

How can ANY manufactor warranty another persons product, they can't
Old 04-23-2009, 10:01 PM   #3
CommandoSS

Drives: 05 Chevy Avalanche, 67 Camaro
Is this the case with Corvettes?
Old 04-23-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
dodson914

Drives: 2008 2500 HD; 2008 G8 GT #199
dodson914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:02 PM   #5
vladkgb

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS Pewter
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
That's with any car. GM has all those items and it doesn't void the warranty, buy GM accessories and your fine.

How can ANY manufactor warranty another persons product, they can't
Well when your just changing the exhaust, i think GM should still cover body panels from falling off, paint peeling, and motors spontaneously exploding (the only thing warranty covers i believe). Warranties are shit anyway, unless you're buying a ford or one of those hybrids i wouldnt worry, their designed to only cover stuff that should not break, and since the Camaro is using the tried and tested vette drivetrain, then we shouldnt worry.

Btw can anyone else confirm that GM is voiding warranty on the whole car if exhaust is changed?
vladkgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:04 PM   #6
Nitro Dave

Drives: 2010 RS SS Juiced!
It will not void the intire warrenty. It only voids the warrenty on the direct items it affects. For example if you replace the exhaust it will avoid the exhaust warrenty. If you put a camshaft in the car it would void the engine warrenty. Etc
Nitro Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:06 PM   #7
kopacko
333RWHP / 12.2sec @ 1320'

Drives: 2004 Competition Orange Mach1
Send a message via MSN to kopacko
There is only one way a dealer can void your warranty. That is if they can prove your modification caused the failure. Swapping out wheels, tires, exhaust, etc is not going to ruin your warranty of your ENTIRE car, its not even legal to make that claim.

Now, a CAM job or other internals or S/C, that will be very easy for them to "prove" when you start having seal leaks, etc.
kopacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:07 PM   #8
TLSTWIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro Dave View Post
It will not void the intire warrenty. It only voids the warrenty on the direct items it affects. For example if you replace the exhaust it will avoid the exhaust warrenty. If you put a camshaft in the car it would void the engine warrenty. Etc
+1
Old 04-23-2009, 10:07 PM   #9
TLSTWIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopacko View Post
There is only one way a dealer can void your warranty. That is if they can prove your modification caused the failure. Swapping out wheels, tires, exhaust, etc is not going to ruin your warranty of your ENTIRE car, its not even legal to make that claim.

Now, a CAM job or other internals or S/C, that will be very easy for them to "prove" when you start having seal leaks, etc.
+2
Old 04-23-2009, 10:14 PM   #10
cam2fst4u

Drives: 08 SS trailblazer,08 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to cam2fst4u
Exhaust I wouldn't see as being a big deal. We need to buy from GM anyway.. It may be a lil more but at least the quality will be there and it will be under warranty!
cam2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:17 PM   #11
dodson914

Drives: 2008 2500 HD; 2008 G8 GT #199
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam2fst4u View Post
Exhaust I wouldn't see as being a big deal. We need to buy from GM anyway.. It may be a lil more but at least the quality will be there and it will be under warranty!
We are doing our part by buying GM cars. They need to get competitive with their pricing. Nearly a grand for axle backs! That is RIDICULOUS!
dodson914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:17 PM   #12
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
eh....who needs a warranty anyway...Just get your hands dirty and fix that bad boy yourself!
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:23 PM   #13
DevilKnightFalcon

Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by kopacko View Post

Yes, that is the impression I was under as well. However he specifically stated that is not the case for the Camaro. I should mention that this conversation came up because he himself has a Camaro on order and wanted to put some 3rd party parts on but was told by GM that it would in fact void the warranty on the whole car. I am not saying that he isn't out of his mind, I just don't see him as having any reason to lie. He knew I was not buying a car from his dealership and that I already had my Camaro on order elsewhere. We were simply discussing this because they are the only dealership in AZ that has one on the lot to look at.

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
Old 04-23-2009, 10:24 PM   #14
DevilKnightFalcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZcamaro View Post
eh....who needs a warranty anyway...Just get your hands dirty and fix that bad boy yourself!

Soo if you drive yours off the lot and 2 weeks later your engine explodes or your car doesn't start you want to fix it and pay for it yourself?