Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
J_Vibe92

Drives: 2013 Mustang 5.0
Expert Ears only please

Got a interesting question for those who like solving sound puzzles. I have had a squeal for WEEEEEEKKKSSS! I thought it was a intake manifold leak between it and the heads because i took it off before the noise was made but i have re sealed my manifold spacer 3 times and each using correct torque sequences but its still there.

Question for those. What does a head gasket leak sound like, would anything in the torque converter or transmission make squeal noises?

The noise only happens when i decelerate or idle (sometimes). It used to be SO LOUD now its slightly noticeable.

The noise is present when AC on or OFF but it most warm up before it can be present.

Any ideas? hard to get a video due to too many noises happening in the engine along with exhaust

sorry for long post
Visual mods: Eagle Eyes w/5k hids, Custom Hood Spears, Heritage Grille, Stage 2 LED Dome lights,Transformer Emblems, PD Bezels, 19in Chevy rims with pirellis, Blue painted calipers, GM GFX Front Splitter, 35/20 % Tint, TailLight Tint(charcoal)
1/4 Mile: 13.65 sec @ 102.53 mph R.I.P.
J_Vibe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #2

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
No expert, here....sounds like a belt to me...don't think a head gasket would make a squeal.....check your belt condition and tensioner, maybe squirt some belt dressing or wd30 on it, see if it goes away, at least temporarily...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
CamaroJoe96

Drives: 2013 Full Bolt on LFX M6
I'd suggest making an attempt of capturing the audio
Old 09-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
is the car running hot, is there oil in the water or water in the oil

these are usely indicaters of a blown head gasket

They don't squeal, now you can find a intake link with a can of ether, old timers used wd40, just spray it around aroud where you think you have a leak

Be very carefull these items are fammable

But to me sounds like you got a tensior squealing or belt
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
No expert, here....sounds like a belt to me...don't think a head gasket would make a squeal.....check your belt condition and tensioner, maybe squirt some belt dressing or wd30 on it, see if it goes away, at least temporarily...
What is WD30? I hope you didn't mean WD40, that will really make the belt slip.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
What is WD30? I hope you didn't mean WD40, that will really make the belt slip.
30.40, whatever...lol...you get the idea....if it's already squeling, it's slipping already...may still slip, but the squeal will temporarily stop....
Old 09-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #7
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
is the car running hot, is there oil in the water or water in the oil

these are usely indicaters of a blown head gasket

They don't squeal, now you can find a intake link with a can of ether, old timers used wd40, just spray it around aroud where you think you have a leak

Be very carefull these items are fammable

But to me sounds like you got a tensior squealing or belt
Speaking of blown head gaskets, sometimes depending on where the leak is it may be sucking the water out on the intake stroke and pushing air in on the exhaust stroke. That happened to my 89 Chevy truck. I could see the water level go down and continuous bubbles.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
30.40, whatever...lol...you get the idea....if it's already squeling, it's slipping already...may still slip, but the squeal will temporarily stop....
Still not a good idea because you will get it all over all the pulleys and you will have to really do a job cleaning them off to get it to stop slipping... If you are putting anything on it use belt dressing only. Never anything to make it slip more.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Still not a good idea because you will get it all over all the pulleys and you will have to really do a job cleaning them off to get it to stop slipping... If you are putting anything on it use belt dressing only. Never anything to make it slip more.
lol...ok....it's just a quick way to see if the belt is what's squealing...and wd40 will make the squeal stop...It's not a permanent fix, and won't damage anything or make it slip long enough to be a problem...it dissipates pretty fast on it's own.... but if it does stop the squealing, then get a new belt and clean up any mess...no biggie..
Old 09-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #10
KEEP RT
Wonderfully Awful Idea

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Check the catch can for leaks.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Quote:
No, do not use WD40 on the belts! it will deteriate the belt. get you some belt dressing they sell it at autozone
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #12
J_Vibe92

how would i know if the catch can was leaking? i dont see any holes in the piping. seems to be coming from the backside of the engine underneath the IM.

when yall say the tension belt of whatever. where is that on a LLT motor
Visual mods: Eagle Eyes w/5k hids, Custom Hood Spears, Heritage Grille, Stage 2 LED Dome lights,Transformer Emblems, PD Bezels, 19in Chevy rims with pirellis, Blue painted calipers, GM GFX Front Splitter, 35/20 % Tint, TailLight Tint(charcoal)
Old 09-15-2013, 11:48 PM   #13
lawdog

Drives: 2010 SSII w RS & Sunroof Yellow
You say it's a squeal? That sounds like a belt pulley issue. However,tell us why you had the manifold off in the first place. if you purchased a manifold spacer my guess is that you have a part that is warping when it gets warmed up. the gaskets will compensate only a certain amount and the GM specs if you are following them for bolt tension really apply to original equipment I.e. With the metal and materials they were designed for. The torque is a consideration. if you purchased a spacer did it come with it's own bolts, are they made of the same type of steel as the original bolts or are they stainless. gaskets for the most part can not be reused, with any degree of confidence, once they are depressed you need a new set.
lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #14
J_Vibe92

the squeal is not rhythmic though