Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes

Old 07-18-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
Bluestreak 2010

Drives: IBM 2010 Camaro LS
Idea for a meet to Support Riley Children's Hospital

Be warned, this is a long post.

After the event at Hare Chevrolet in Noblesville, IN on July 10th, there was a request for new ideas for other central Indiana meets. I suggested getting in on the Nationwide Meet and Greet but then got a suggestion from newsier to come up with an event to support a local charity. Sam's Club, which is where I work, is very involved in supporting Riley Children's Hospital, so I started thinking of some way to come up with an event that Sam's could also support.

Here is my idea. A group of us from Camaro 5 could put on a car show open to the public. I'm thinking a $10 entry fee with all proceeds going to support the Hospital. I am hoping that Sam's Club could let us use their parking lot on a Sunday after we close. This is at 6p.m. on Sundays so there should still be plenty of light, and if not they could leave the parking lot lights on for us. Below I am listing additional ideas to help raise money that could be possible in addition to the car show and ideas to help get the word out.

What we could do:
1.) Promote the event with ads in The Indianapolis Star and other local newspapers, as well as have someone create a facebook page for the event.

2.) Have forum members as volunteers to help with event registration and check in, staging the show cars, and even judging the event.

3.) Come up with prizes to give out for the show winners to give the hard core car show people another incentive to come out.

4.) Get in touch with the C5 store and see about getting a discount price on their shirts and possibly other merchandise. I would also like to see if they could come up with a special commemorative shirt for the event. We could then order a large amount to sell at the show. What would be better would be if we could get whoever runs the store to come to the show with their merchandise! If we buy and then resell the items, anything above cost could go to Riley, and if the owner comes out, they could decide on how much of the profit to donate.

What Sam's Club could do:
1.) Post fliers at the club to advertise the show.

2.) Set up a table/booth for donations to Riley.

3.) Either have a cookout or bake sale as they have done many times before, with proceeds going to the charity. Or they could contact club members who own restaurants and possibly get them to come sell food at the show and donate a certain percentage of profit.

4.) Rent a dunk tank and have "Dunk a Sam's Associate." Pay to get a certain number of throws. Forum members could also volunteer to do this, and maybe split the time with Sam's associates.

What we would need:
1.) Strong support from forum members before I pitch the idea to the Sam's Club Spirit Committee.

2.) Sam's Clubs approval! If they give the green light, I will see what additional ideas they can come up with.

3.) Volunteers to help with registration and sign in; staging the cars; and anyone who has previously judged or has alot of experience with car shows to judge the event.

I would love to make this work and can't think of many reasons that Sam's Club would be opposed to doing this. Last year we were one of the worst clubs in our region when it came to the amount given to Riley, so I think my General Manager would welcome a chance to boost that amount!

This is just a rough draft of an idea, and as such is open to suggestions (in fact I welcome them). The time might be a liitle late, I don't know how long it takes to put on a show with judging and everything else involved, but I know it would be easier to pull off after the store is closed.

Anyone with other ideas about other possible locations, sponsors (I don't know if we could get vendors to set up displays like at Hare), or even a different event that could still be used to support a charity feel free to post your ideas and any comments about anything I have written!

And of course post if you would support this event if we can get it rolling!

Last edited by Bluestreak 2010; 07-18-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Bluestreak 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
SirPhobos1
STAY PUFT

Drives: Gone
Sounds like a plan to me. I definitely think charity shows are worth the time & effort! Especially Riley!

SirPhobos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
Slvr1SSA6

Drives: 2010 1SS A6---1968 SS Camaro
Sounds COOL! Just remeber that if you are going to do trophy's, plan on spending anywhere from 300-500 dollars with dash plaques. If you spend 300 on them then it would take 30 cars to break even on the expense (i would charge 15.00 for the show). Also doing a show on a Sunday evening would not get too many cars due to most people having to get to work the next day. I would suggest a Saturday afternoon show if the lot is big enough to support the show and customers. This would give a chance for Sams customers to come out and look at the cars and would possibly get more people into Sams Club...win/win.
512 CI BBC producing 653 RWHP @ 6400 RPM
Slvr1SSA6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:31 PM   #4
dragom
2G1FB1EV3A9121989

Drives: Rally Yellow RS Coupe
I would have to agree with slvr1ssa6 sunday would not be a good day for his reason that he stated. I would be up for this and would help in any way I could.
dragom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
Bluestreak 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slvr1SSA6 View Post
Sounds COOL! Just remeber that if you are going to do trophy's, plan on spending anywhere from 300-500 dollars with dash plaques. If you spend 300 on them then it would take 30 cars to break even on the expense (i would charge 15.00 for the show). Also doing a show on a Sunday evening would not get too many cars due to most people having to get to work the next day. I would suggest a Saturday afternoon show if the lot is big enough to support the show and customers. This would give a chance for Sams customers to come out and look at the cars and would possibly get more people into Sams Club...win/win.
I haven't been to many car shows, but $15/entry sounds reasonable.

Good to know about the price of doing trophies. How many do you think your price range would supply? I figured they would be expensive, which is why I suggested "prizes," but trophies were my first thought. Any suggestions on other options would be appreciated. I was thinking Sam's could possibly provide something like a free membership ($40 value) for 1 or 2 winners who are not yet club members, but this would still have to be covered as well.

I agree that Saturday would be ideal for bigger turnout, but the main lot stays pretty full. There is a space across one of the main isles that may work, but it currently has some road construction equipment sitting in it. Depending on turnout and when we have the event it could be enough room. I will try to get a Google maps sattelite image of our parking lot posted to show the size of the lot and possible layout ideas.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
Slvr1SSA6

Drives: 2010 1SS A6---1968 SS Camaro
You could do a top 20 atleast with 50ish dash plaques for between 300 to 350 But I would shop around. Most of these trophy places will cut you a deal if you ask and let them know your shopping.
512 CI BBC producing 653 RWHP @ 6400 RPM
Slvr1SSA6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:39 PM   #7
wer2foxs

Drives: 2010 VR SS
I like the over all idea too and agree it should be on a Saturday afternoon. Or, How about a Friday evening when Sam closes? I take it this could be the Sam's club on East Washington? If so, could we some how combine with the usual car meet that happens over at Washington Square on Friday night? There is always a big crowd there from 6 to 9pm I think. We could talk with them and see if we could have one big event. The trophies, IMO that is way to much expense and should think of another award. This is for charity and the funds should go to them.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:58 AM   #8
Bluestreak 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by wer2foxs View Post
I like the over all idea too and agree it should be on a Saturday afternoon. Or, How about a Friday evening when Sam closes? I take it this could be the Sam's club on East Washington? If so, could we some how combine with the usual car meet that happens over at Washington Square on Friday night? There is always a big crowd there from 6 to 9pm I think. We could talk with them and see if we could have one big event. The trophies, IMO that is way to much expense and should think of another award. This is for charity and the funds should go to them.
Correct about it being the East Washington location. The store only closes early on Sundays, every other night we close at 8:30 which I feel would be too late to get started.

Friday could also work if we joined with the show at the mall. Do you go to that from time to time? I would be interested in hearing what that group would think about joining up, but I don't want to intrude, and was thinking it would be cool if the show was run by our forum members. If the mall crowd is willing, a combined show could lead to a better result though!
Old 07-19-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
wer2foxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreak 2010 View Post
Correct about it being the East Washington location. The store only closes early on Sundays, every other night we close at 8:30 which I feel would be too late to get started.

Friday could also work if we joined with the show at the mall. Do you go to that from time to time? I would be interested in hearing what that group would think about joining up, but I don't want to intrude, and was thinking it would be cool if the show was run by our forum members. If the mall crowd is willing, a combined show could lead to a better result though!
I have not been there in quite a while. I won't be in town this Friday and will be working nights the following Friday so I will not be able to get over there to ask.
I feel the same about having our own but it would be a head start of having people there. It would be quite a showing to say the least. What does everyone else think?
Old 07-20-2010, 08:18 PM   #10
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
just found this thread. Lot of construction on east US40 if I'm not mistaken. I thought I went to Sam's last week with a buddy of mine, came south on German Church to US40 and right into the lot, I think that was Sam's.

Anyway, I would check with CICC as they gave away trophies at the event that was held at Raymond's back in March. Trophies were given for the top 25 cars and then they gave some for best looking, best modified, not really sure but you can check with them to see who they got the hardware from and their cost. There would already be an order on file that you could reference and if you didn't go with it, you could maybe delete from it to save cost. Also dealing with the same vendor may help in getting a discount and future events having them on hand and as a supporter. Just saying.

Saturday's are the best for participants and Sam's would benefit as well. Customers who come by to look would be able to drop same spare change in jars that would be around of on the main table. Over all I think it's a good idea! Just need to allow yourself some time in planning and promoting. I wonder what Sam's will do for the even? The parking lot is public so anyone could realistically park there as long as there is not a disruption. Will Sam's provide anything, match dollar for dollar to Sam's. Promotion is easy with this forum, facebook, twitter etc..... some fliers here and there we as a group can do.
I know OldSchoolCamaro and I were talking about another event, maybe a Dyno Day that maybe could be incorporated with this but obviously couldn't happen at Sam's.
I don't have a show car (not even remotely close) but I would be willing to help where I could.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:46 AM   #11
Mike Norris
Account Suspended

This is a cool idea for sure. If you wanted to make it into a show and dyno day, there is a Sams Club just across the railroad tracks from my place as well as a Home Depot in my lot.

Be nice to do it when it cools off a bit

Mike Norris
Mike Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:39 AM   #12
Bluestreak 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Norris View Post
This is a cool idea for sure. If you wanted to make it into a show and dyno day, there is a Sams Club just across the railroad tracks from my place as well as a Home Depot in my lot.

Be nice to do it when it cools off a bit

Mike Norris
Just wondering, are you in Greenwood? Your location under your username says Indianapolis, but the Sam's on Washington Street is Indianapolis too. By "my place", do you mean you have somewhere we could do the dyno's? Sorry if these are dumb questions, just curious.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:48 AM   #13
wer2foxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreak 2010 View Post
Just wondering, are you in Greenwood? Your location under your username says Indianapolis, but the Sam's on Washington Street is Indianapolis too. By "my place", do you mean you have somewhere we could do the dyno's? Sorry if these are dumb questions, just curious.
Mike Norris has a speed shop in Fishers at 96th and I-69. This would be an ideal location for sure! Yes he has a dyno. Mike is the man when it comes to adding HP's to the Camaro SS!
Old 07-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #14
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wer2foxs View Post
Mike Norris has a speed shop in Fishers at 96th and I-69. This would be an ideal location for sure! Yes he has a dyno. Mike is the man when it comes to adding HP's to the Camaro SS!

Yea, Mike is in Fishers, well technically Indy since he's on the south side of 96th street and there is a Sam's right there and a Home Depot, Culver's and Panda Express, Lord I digress! Anyway, like I said, OldSchoolCamaro and I were talking about a Dyno Day but we haven't set a definite date. It would be nice to incorporate the whole thing together, all wrapped up into one. I really didn't want to say anything until Oldschool put it out there but I was just saying.