Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
Warsteiner

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2LT RS Vert
Speaker Leve input vs RCA input

Ok, I got my amp and the FARK and everything needed to hook it up. I ordered the Alpine MRX-V70 http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/mrx-v70/.

My question is this...
Since this amp supports speaker level inputs would I be better off cutting the RCA connectors off of my FARK and wireing the speaker level inputs or should I just use the RCA connection. I think the Speaker Level option will look cleaner since I wont have RCA Cables connected to the FARK then connected to the AMP. The AMP came with a harness that I could just wire to the FARK wires.

Another added feature of using the speaker level inputs is that it does not require a turn on lead as the AMP will only turn on when it senses power from the speaker level inputs.

Thanks in advance for you help.
Warsteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
Use the RCA's and the remote turn on from the FARK. It will save you a lot of potential headaches.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
CamaroFTW

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS-Rally Yellow
Send a message via MSN to CamaroFTW
I am going through all these same questions and from what I understand and see on the wiring diagram, the wires off the FARK (X3) are all low level input to the amp and not high level. So it would not be correct to use those wire to go to the high level input (speaker level) on the amp. There are some high level inputs on the X1 from what I can see on the wiring diagram. I would do it correctly and use the RCA for the FARK since it is low level inputs.
CamaroFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warsteiner View Post
Ok, I got my amp and the FARK and everything needed to hook it up. I ordered the Alpine MRX-V70 http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/mrx-v70/.

My question is this...
Since this amp supports speaker level inputs would I be better off cutting the RCA connectors off of my FARK and wireing the speaker level inputs or should I just use the RCA connection. I think the Speaker Level option will look cleaner since I wont have RCA Cables connected to the FARK then connected to the AMP. The AMP came with a harness that I could just wire to the FARK wires.

Another added feature of using the speaker level inputs is that it does not require a turn on lead as the AMP will only turn on when it senses power from the speaker level inputs.

What I would do is cut the smaller connector off the x3 harness and hardwire there. This way you preserve the rca's in case you change to a different amp down the road with only rca inputs.
Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warsteiner View Post

My question is this...

If you cut the RCAs off of the fark and try using the wires as speaker level inputs, it probably won't work. The fark is for the BA system, which outputs low level signals. The OEM harness just uses regular wire instead of RCA cables, but it's an "RCA signal" none the less.

The fark harness essentially (mechanically) converts the wiring back into RCA so the signal can be routed to the appropriate ports on an aftermarket amp.
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:31 PM   #6
CamaroFTW

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS-Rally Yellow
Send a message via MSN to CamaroFTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy_1980 View Post
If you cut the RCAs off of the fark and try using the wires as speaker level inputs, it probably won't work. The fark is for the BA system, which outputs low level signals. The OEM harness just uses regular wire instead of RCA cables, but it's an "RCA signal" none the less.

The fark harness essentially (mechanically) converts the wiring back into RCA so the signal can be routed to the appropriate ports on an aftermarket amp.
Thanks for reaffirming my thought process on this and detailing it out well
CamaroFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #7
Warsteiner

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2LT RS Vert
Ok so I think I will try the RCA cables. If I do decide to cut the FARK I will do as Steve suggests and cut the factory connector off instead of the RCA's. I may actually try both ways to see which nets me better audio quality.
Warsteiner is offline   Reply With Quote