Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-19-2009, 09:37 PM   #15
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
watch out for underdrive balancer pulley's for LS engines, they like to tear up timing chains!, do a search on ls1tech.com
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:28 PM   #16
ssrsheaven

Drives: 92 firebird,2010 camaro
cool nice info
ssrsheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:14 PM   #17
Fast Eddie

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoske View Post
Anyway, in my opinion this type of Cheap HP is kinda dangerous. Everything that is connected to that pulley was designed to run with the factory pulley. You are no doubt going to lessen the life of everything connected to the belt because it has to run harder. I know modifications are made to the engine all the time that increase hp and make the engine run differently to get those gains; however, your engine has sensors everywhere to make it run differently to compensate for those changes so everything runs nice and dandy. Nothing connected to the belts, except for the engine of course, has any type of sensor to help it self adjust to the changes so you are inevitably going to shorten the parts life.
Actually, just the opposite. The alternator is constantly turning on and off based on the demand of the electrical system and if it is spinning slower it puts out less power, nothing really is harmed. In the case of the water pump it just moves water more slowly, overheating could be an issue but not really wearing the parts out from moving slower. I'm not real sure how the A/C comp. works but I would wager it is similar, where it sees the engine speed as slower and in normal driving does not see any real difference. The only time any of these will see any drop would be at idle, not while driving since it may look like idle to the acc. but that is still within the operating spec.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:40 PM   #18
STILO
RR Status

Drives: 1999 2DOOR DENALI
Not realy diggin it i do plan on having subs and, i have had bad expiriance with low amp's suck when you have H.I.D.'s for driving lights and fog light at a stop light the start flashing :bangdesk:
STILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:47 PM   #19
MTron

Drives: 99 Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
Actually, just the opposite. The alternator is constantly turning on and off based on the demand of the electrical system and if it is spinning slower it puts out less power, nothing really is harmed. In the case of the water pump it just moves water more slowly, overheating could be an issue but not really wearing the parts out from moving slower. I'm not real sure how the A/C comp. works but I would wager it is similar, where it sees the engine speed as slower and in normal driving does not see any real difference. The only time any of these will see any drop would be at idle, not while driving since it may look like idle to the acc. but that is still within the operating spec.
MTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:07 AM   #20
AVNMechanic

Drives: Want a 2SS/RS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBSS View Post
maybe this is where the two worlds meet, muscle and rice.
We'll be talking about electric fans, lightened flywheels, lightweight oil, thermostats, you name it

Then it'll be ball bearing turbos, front mount intercoolers, blowoff valves, and fuel management computers.

How many "muscle heads" will cross the line into "ricer" territory.
Yall know budweiser is made with rice, right?

Come on in, the water's fine.
Bob, real muscle heads will do anything to get a little more power, that means turbos, front mount intercoolers, blowoff valves, fuel management computer, ect. The camaro already has an electric fan i think. A lightened fly wheel lowers rotational mass and so on. Calling anything that actually adds power "rice" is just plane stupid and ignorant. Some guys like N/A, some like S/C's and some like turbos. Are you going to call me a "ricer" because I have a light weight drive shaft??? "Rice" only comes into play with looks and fart cans, in my honest opinion. Many people have underdrive pulleys in many different types of vehicles, including trucks, they dont have any issues. So why call a legit power modifier (you aren't adding power w/ an underdrive pulley, just freeing the power thats already there) rice?

And contrary to popular belief, stickers don't add horse power.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:26 AM   #21
Tal

Drives: Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVNMechanic View Post
Bob, real muscle heads will do anything to get a little more power, that means turbos, front mount intercoolers, blowoff valves, fuel management computer, ect. The camaro already has an electric fan i think. A lightened fly wheel lowers rotational mass and so on. Calling anything that actually adds power "rice" is just plane stupid and ignorant. Some guys like N/A, some like S/C's and some like turbos. Are you going to call me a "ricer" because I have a light weight drive shaft??? "Rice" only comes into play with looks and fart cans, in my honest opinion. Many people have underdrive pulleys in many different types of vehicles, including trucks, they dont have any issues. So why call a legit power modifier (you aren't adding power w/ an underdrive pulley, just freeing the power thats already there) rice?

And contrary to popular belief, stickers don't add horse power.

I'm not crazy about this particular mod but calling something "rice" or otherwise mocking mods that actually add rwhp is ridiculous.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:29 AM   #22
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Underdrive pulleys are far from a new concept for imports or even muscle. And several years ago, underdrive pullies could lead to battery charge issues, and cooling issues, especially if you found yourself idling during a hot afternoon communte.

However, I think these days most cars are installed with alternators that have sufficient capacity.

Other issues are engine harmonics in that the crank pulley needs to meet specific balance requirements so the crankshaft is spinning correctly, but again....if the pulley is up to SFI standards, all is well.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:47 AM   #23
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Too much of a risk for such a small gain.. Adding a K&N filter will give you a boost in HP too and is less harmful a mod..
Old 05-20-2009, 06:58 AM   #24
PatrickfromMD

Drives: Buick Enclave/Corvette/2010 Camaro
what if you plan on spinning a supercharger with the main drive belt? Will we be able to find the right length belt, and hopefully the FI manufacture has the right size pulley to compensate. Has anyone gone the forced induction route with a undersized pulley?

***56K miles and still going strong***
2SS/RS IOM ext w/cyber grey stripes, tinted windows, IO int Auto
ProTorque prototype Converter, Chuck Mosello of Westchester Corvettes Custom Tune
T&T installed SLP Longtubes, Powerflow X Pipe, and Powerflow axle back
JL 10W3 in custom side sub box, new door tweeters, Alpine 5ch 600 watt
T&T configured ACS front Fascia w/ heritage grill, splitter, dual color halos, , led markers, taillight bezels , all accented in CGM
Gary Custom Z vented fenders. Vararam ver 2
PatrickfromMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:22 AM   #25
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickfromMD View Post
what if you plan on spinning a supercharger with the main drive belt? Will we be able to find the right length belt, and hopefully the FI manufacture has the right size pulley to compensate. Has anyone gone the forced induction route with a undersized pulley?
Don't do it, there is no need for one with F/I....and actually in some instances, people run OVERsized pulleys when running a forced induction build.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:22 AM   #26
Jason 98 TA

Drives: Camaro
Pricing/ordering info here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23573

We've been selling and running UD pullies on our LSx vehicles for over 10 years now without any issues! Now, if you're going to be running amplifiers that pull crazy amounts of current, this might not be for you and in fact you should be looking at upgrading your stock alternator to a high output version, running a secondary battery with isolator for your stereo system, etc!

We don't plan on running any crazy stereo system in ours so this mod is a no-brainer! It's a nice bang for your buck mod, and in the driving we've been doing around town with the pulley on we've had nothing but success and no problems.

Feel free to call our guys with any questions you might have!
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:53 AM   #27
REAPER SS

Drives: 2010 CAMARO BLK 2SS/L99
I likey
REAPER SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:05 PM   #28
PatrickfromMD

Drives: Buick Enclave/Corvette/2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock36 View Post
Don't do it, there is no need for one with F/I....and actually in some instances, people run OVERsized pulleys when running a forced induction build.
Interesting, why would you say there is no need for one. One of the few disadvantages of supercharging is the HP they consume from the crankshaft in order to drive them. I see this as a means to get back some of that HP lost to drive the supercharger by running the accessories a bit slower. Why would a FI want to run an oversized pulley? Maybe we might not want to under drive the water pump, but I cannot think of any other reason.
Thoughts anyone?

***56K miles and still going strong***
2SS/RS IOM ext w/cyber grey stripes, tinted windows, IO int Auto
ProTorque prototype Converter, Chuck Mosello of Westchester Corvettes Custom Tune
T&T installed SLP Longtubes, Powerflow X Pipe, and Powerflow axle back
JL 10W3 in custom side sub box, new door tweeters, Alpine 5ch 600 watt
T&T configured ACS front Fascia w/ heritage grill, splitter, dual color halos, , led markers, taillight bezels , all accented in CGM
Gary Custom Z vented fenders. Vararam ver 2
PatrickfromMD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drive, pulley, texas speed, ud pulley, under-drive, underdrive