Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
spacecowby

Drives: 2010 black 2SS/RS
Long Lasting Paint Sealant

My car stays outside all the time so I am looking for the longest lasting sealant. I am looking at Blackfire wet diamond, chemical guys blacklight or jetseal, or menzerna power lock. As anyone had any experiences with these or other long lasting sealants?

Black cars are not hobbies, they are an obsession
spacecowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
If your looking for a product that will last 6-12 months then look no further, the Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 Permanent Paint Coating. This is the one product that will protect and last a very long time. The other products you mention are a great form of LSP's and they last between 3-6 months if taken care of.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
I opti coated my car today. Write up coming tomorrow.
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
Supermaro585HP
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS RS
I'm very interested.. Does this stuff really last 6 to 12 months?????
Supermaro585HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Zaino has excellent longevity.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermaro585HP View Post
I'm very interested.. Does this stuff really last 6 to 12 months?????
Longer. It last forever unless it is abraded off by a polish. It is basically like adding another clear coat to your paint except it is harder and more scratch resistant. It is created by one of the inventors of moder clear coats. Dr G. from Optimum Technologies. He is the CEO of that company and if you call there you can talk to him personally.
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:30 AM   #7
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Yes, this product will last over a year, I like to say to everyone you will get at least 12 months.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:59 AM   #8
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecowby View Post
My car stays outside all the time so I am looking for the longest lasting sealant. I am looking at Blackfire wet diamond, chemical guys blacklight or jetseal, or menzerna power lock. As anyone had any experiences with these or other long lasting sealants?
Of the one's listed above, BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond AFPP should last the longest, particularly given that the entire line is designed around the same polymer system, so everything you do (washing, quick detailing) with additional BLACKFIRE products will continue to add durability.

If you want more durability, then I would consider Duragloss or Finish Kare 1000P. Assuming that you are dealing with a lot of direct sun and salty air, Finish Kare 1000P will last a long, long time.

As Angelo, suggested, Opti-Coat 2.0 is a semi-permanent option, that adds a coating to the paint that will easily last over a year, and likely will last for several years (perhaps the life of the car).
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #9
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post
Of the one's listed above, BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond AFPP should last the longest, particularly given that the entire line is designed around the same polymer system, so everything you do (washing, quick detailing) with additional BLACKFIRE products will continue to add durability.

If you want more durability, then I would consider Duragloss or Finish Kare 1000P. Assuming that you are dealing with a lot of direct sun and salty air, Finish Kare 1000P will last a long, long time.

As Angelo, suggested, Opti-Coat 2.0 is a semi-permanent option, that adds a coating to the paint that will easily last over a year, and likely will last for several years (perhaps the life of the car).
I've been using Adam's machine super wax (now machine super sealant) for almost three years now and I like it - but it only lasts 2-3 months on my daily driver that lives outdoors.

I'm very curious about the Opti-Coat 2.0 and am looking forward to seeing a write up - is it a nano-coating? I have been considering trying out Wolf's Body Wrap, can you comment on how the Opti-Coat is similar/different? Looking forward to hearing more.
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #10
2xSSRS

Drives: 2017 SS Black on Black A8
Check with your dealer. Mine offered a paint sealant called Polysteel. It was pricey, but the paint, Black, looks deep and shines great. Recommended waxing only once a year, and the Polysteel company sent me the wax to use. Love it...
Old 06-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #11
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadG View Post
I've been using Adam's machine super wax (now machine super sealant) for almost three years now and I like it - but it only lasts 2-3 months on my daily driver that lives outdoors.

I'm very curious about the Opti-Coat 2.0 and am looking forward to seeing a write up - is it a nano-coating? I have been considering trying out Wolf's Body Wrap, can you comment on how the Opti-Coat is similar/different? Looking forward to hearing more.
I cannot compare Wolf's vs. Opti-Coat as I have never used Wolf's.

I can share a little experience with Opti-Coat though. A friend of mine applied it to half of his car. It was his work car. He taped it right down the middle and applied Opti-Coat to the driver's side.

Then, for the next 19 months, and 50k miles, he washed his car weekly using the worst possible products including: engine degreasers, dawn, running it through a touchless car wash, all purpose cleaners, etc. I mean just torchured the paint.

After 19 months the paint on half of the car was still beading like it was just applied.

While Opti-Coat is semi-permanent in the fact that so is paint (nothing lasts for ever) it is supposed to last the life of the paint system. I can tell you it lasts for 19 months of torture no problem.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #12
the rich dude

Drives: Getting 2010 Camaro
How does one remove the opti coat if they get some swirling?
the rich dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #13
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rich dude View Post
How does one remove the opti coat if they get some swirling?
Opti-Coat adds a layer of protection on top of the paint which is measurable to 1 or 2 microns to my understanding. This is considerable considering wax or sealants form layers that are sub-micron.

Any swirling that occurs after application is going to be in the actual Opti-Coat instead of in the paint (provided it doesn't penetrate more than 1-2 microns). The plus side is that Opti-Coat is harder than most paint surfaces as well, so it will be more scratch/swirl resistant as well.

The down side, of course, is that any swirl marks in the paint that are no removed will be 'locked in' because they are coated over.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:23 PM   #14
the rich dude

Drives: Getting 2010 Camaro
So I'm definitely interested in trying this product out but have a few more questions

I like my cars to look like show cars at all times SO say I polish the car/no swirls.

Then I put this opti coat on. Now say after 3-4 months there is some light swirling, can I just grab the flex and start polishing? Now what if in another 3-4 months I need to polish again?? I can I judge how much coating is still on the paint?

After polishing can I throw another coat on of this opti stuff??

Thanks for your time!!
the rich dude is offline   Reply With Quote