Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-08-2012, 07:52 PM   #29
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtr-camaro ss View Post
I'm sure that the guys at IPS motorsport know what they are doing..
the engine thing was not there mistake because they did not build it there..

btw I like your car alot ..
Thanks for the compliment on my car. Now that I know who is doing your car, I can say you are in good hands as IPS is a very reputable shop of some bada$$ cars. As to the engine issue, I still cant understand how this happened as I am guessing you had another outside source do the engine and then sent to IPS. The guys at IPS know what they are doing so I would listen to what they have to say about the rest of your car.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #30

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Just curious...Pretty sure the OP said the cast iron motor was more money...I would have thought a built aluminum engine would be the more pricier of the two??? dunno...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #31
oldschool69
oldschool69

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMB135Driver View Post
this is easy....2 cubic inches is the difference.

Yea! I think it's a trick question.
oldschool69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #32
L36L72LS3
Jersey Jeff

Drives: 1969 Camaro L89/T400 ~ 2015 ZL1
Check your smoke detector...

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtr-camaro ss View Post
i paid more than 13 grand including labor
I think you're engine guy is blowing smoke up your cylinder.

JerseyJeff
L36L72LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #33
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
And your front suspension was designed around what? ..the current motor? In which case, you will STILL need an upgrade as the new motor is heavier.
Not to get into a battle here, but with our drag coilover package you can adjust your ride height to compensate for the heavier engine. With an extra 100lbs in the front of the car we wouldn't suggest changing spring rates, especially considering we want the front end to run a very low spring rate for best drag performance. He's got enough suspension under the car at this point that IPS can dial in the car properly for the weight of the new block.

IPS Motorsports does excellent work. I wouldn't hesitate to call them for any of your Camaro needs. The OP may be a little foggy on the final technical details of his build, but IPS is certainly not in the business of taking advantage of their customers and we're very sure they're treating him right.

PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #34
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
A twin-turbo iron-block LSX-based engine will add a LOT more than 100 front-end lb...
Twin-turbo 454-based LSX, as per Jannetty's experience, may NOT be the correct high-boost recipe. Better to start with the LSX 376 block (more material between bores), bore it very little and stroke it to 420-something (if 420-something is desired)...imvho. The smaller the bore, the stronger the block, affording you the possibility of more boost to make even more power.
Regardless, the block should be (or should have been) sonic-tested to assure its integrity BEFORE building.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #35
S-eatin-grin

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
A twin-turbo iron-block LSX-based engine will add a LOT more than 100 front-end lb...
Twin-turbo 454-based LSX, as per Jannetty's experience, may NOT be the correct high-boost recipe. Better to start with the LSX 376 block (more material between bores), bore it very little and stroke it to 420-something (if 420-something is desired)...imvho. The smaller the bore, the stronger the block, affording you the possibility of more boost to make even more power.
Regardless, the block should be (or should have been) sonic-tested to assure its integrity BEFORE building.
As always....good post
S-eatin-grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #36
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
If I just dropped $13k for upgrades, I would know everything about what I'm doing to my car. But then again, I also don't have that much dough just laying around to blow on my car either...
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #37
Thyshallsmite

Drives: 2011 Grand sport c6 corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
See i heard about the 1 that blew up too, however GM says this engine does really well with boost and is designed for high boost, so thinking that one that blew is just a fluke. After all Nelson racing does a lot of twin turbo with the LSX454 with no issue.
Thyshallsmite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #38
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Ultimately, "it's ALL in the tune...and componentry...and attention to assembly detail...and machining...and..."
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #39
Rip

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thyshallsmite View Post
See i heard about the 1 that blew up too, however GM says this engine does really well with boost and is designed for high boost, so thinking that one that blew is just a fluke. After all Nelson racing does a lot of twin turbo with the LSX454 with no issue.
Yep, they actually advertise it that way, and then if it blows due to a manufacturing defect you are SOL.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #40
BBQdDude

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS
The dudes over at IPS ROCK. They will take care of you. I have been to them many times. I think the OP is just a little fuzzy on the details is all (not meant to offend OP).
BBQdDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #41
qtr-camaro ss

Drives: Orange CAMARO SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
Thanks for the compliment on my car. Now that I know who is doing your car, I can say you are in good hands as IPS is a very reputable shop of some bada$$ cars. As to the engine issue, I still cant understand how this happened as I am guessing you had another outside source do the engine and then sent to IPS. The guys at IPS know what they are doing so I would listen to what they have to say about the rest of your car.
They ordered the engine not me .. Its all there build. And I'm doing whatever they are recommending ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
qtr-camaro ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #42
qtr-camaro ss

Drives: Orange CAMARO SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
If I just dropped $13k for upgrades, I would know everything about what I'm doing to my car. But then again, I also don't have that much dough just laying around to blow on my car either...
I know what I'm doing .. But by there is se thing went wrong so they are changing the setup. That's why I'm asking here.

Btw I spent a lot more than 13k. By saying 13k, I'm talking about the engine not the whole project

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
qtr-camaro ss is offline   Reply With Quote