Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-08-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
JPAYORK

Drives: 2007 Toyota FJ
New car flaws or poor workmanship?

Okay, before you all find me and throw bricks through my window, I have my Camaro on order and am NOT canceling my order.

I've been on here, reading several threads on this forum about issues and I'm just wondering, are these just first run issues, or poor workmanship. Leaky fuel lines, rocker panels not lining up, a pillar trim coming off, battery cable (yes, I know there's a recall), instrument clusters, computer controllers, vibrations at 1500 rpm, cars not starting up again. These are the ones I can recall off the top of my head.

I have a 2007 Toyota FJ that HAS fist run issues like fender bulges and inner fender apron cracking and some minor stuff, but the fit and finish was never an issue, a few minor mechanical things. I'm just curious if this is really a first run issue on the Camaro or if things are falling between the cracks (so to speak).

I'm sure some of you will call me names and bash my patriotism, but I am planning on selling my FJ and buying a Camaro, I'd just like one person to be kind and say that these issues are on a small sample. I don't want to spend this kind of money on a car I really love and want only for it to fit into that well known stigma of American cars. I have no issues with American vs. Japanese and believe that the Camaro is a great car for its purpose; I just don’t want to be scared to take it on a road trip because it might not start again.
JPAYORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
jpsuperman81
Yep I'm back!

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 1SS 1LE
The way I see it there are gonna be multiple problems and bugs thats what you sign up for when you get in early on a car. I'm cool with it and accepted it going in. Many people swear by the rule never buy the first year of anything. Also let's not forget there are people receiving these with no probs yet, I mean every car that has been delivered has not had problems or at least not multiple ones.
jpsuperman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
I've said it many times already. There are thousands of Camaros on the road. The problems you list are the one offs a few of the members have reported.

Check JD Power. The average high quality vehicle will have approximately 1 problem. The industry average was, if I remember correctly, 110 or so PPH, Problems Per Hundred which is 1.1 problems per vehicle.

I know the guys in Oshawas are busting their butts to produce a great car.

I know the engineers are working tirelessly to fix all the problems that are found.

So please lets not get carried away. It is unfortunate that any Camaro buyer has even one issue. The goal is 0.

Every time someone posts a concern with their car, DOES NOT MEAN that it is a problem with every car.

It's not workmanship, it's not design. It's just hard to build perfect cars even though that is what Oshawa is doing there very best to do.

So for you to list all the thread titles as if they are systemic problems with the Camaro is a bit.......ummmmmmmmmmmm.........over reaching.

And it has nothing to do with your patriotism. I gave up on the hope that the American people gave a crap about that long ago. We don't care where our TVs or Cell Phones or even furniture are made why would we care where our cars are made. You are just like everyone else. The American way is to have choice and buy cheap without more thought than that. We no longer care about where we only care about how much.

So GM is giving you great outstanding products of which the Cmaro is just one.

From your description, though, it seems as if your FJ had as many problems as all of the Camaros combined.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:00 PM   #4
JPAYORK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I've said it many times already. There are thousands of Camaros on the road. The problems you list are the one offs a few of the members have reported.

Check JD Power. The average high quality vehicle will have approximately 1 problem. The industry average was, if I remember correctly, 110 or so PPH, Problems Per Hundred which is 1.1 problems per vehicle.

I know the engineers are working tirelessly to fix all the problems that are found.

So please lets not get carried away. It is unfortunate that any Camaro buyer has even one issue. The goal is 0.

Every time someone posts a concern with their car, DOES NOT MEAN that it is a problem with every car.

It's not workmanship, it's not design. It's just hard to build perfect cars even though that is what Oshawa is doing there very best to do.

So for you to list all the thread titles as if they are systemic problems with the Camaro is a bit.......ummmmmmmmmmmm.........over reaching.

And it has nothing to do with your patriotism. I gave up on the hope that the American people gave a crap about that long ago. We don't care where our TVs or Cell Phones or even furniture are made why would we care where our cars are made. You are just like everyone else. The American way is to have choice and buy cheap without more thought than that. We no longer care about where we only care about how much.

From your description, though, it seems as if your FJ had as many problems as all of the Camaros combined.
1) Thanks for not calling me an American car hater

2) My FJ has personally not had any issues; these are from an FJ forum I'm a part of

3) You are VERY right, I do realize it is a small sample compared to the amount that have been produced

4) I know that no car manufacturer wants to produce a car with problems, but the reassurance that they are busting their asses is nice

5) I know that on forums like this, people like to talk about the problems they are having in hopes of finding help or a sympathetic ear and that not every car produced will have the issues mentioned

I've just noticed that there haven't been a ton made and there have been some note worthy issues
Old 06-08-2009, 09:01 PM   #5
Matrix

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS & Magnum R/T
Please understand something... when a plane crashes we hear about it. What if we heard 5 plane crashes in one day, how horrific but when you consider there millions of flights taking place per year, naturally EVERY comercial crash is televised etc.

Just like this whenever flaws or bad workmanship is noted people will come here to share it and Im glad they do because when I go and pick up my car in the next few days I will look out for these flaws. But understand, the 1000's that have have PERFECT camaros, most dont even know a forum exists!!! They are out driving or polishing or telling their buddys about the car etc etc.

Thank God, these people have the courage to come here and take time out of there lives to warn us, not to slate GM but to look out for US the consumer.

Thank you everyone that puts in a positive complaint.

Last edited by Matrix; 06-08-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:04 PM   #6
67camaro99
Account Suspended

Drives: 67, 69, 99 +2010
I have seen a few flaws on mine, but rather than dwell on it, I look past it... now if something major comes up, thats a different story. I dont know, maybe I'll start nit picking it in a few hours, days or weeks, but before warranty expires...
67camaro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:19 PM   #7
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Maybe we need to start a Thread of all the flaws on the Camaro I found 2 new ones today
On top of the 3 i had before.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:25 PM   #8
cam2fst4u

Drives: 08 SS trailblazer,08 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to cam2fst4u
Quote:

cam2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:28 PM   #9
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Almost all cars have problems. Pick a car randomly and find forums for it. Then you'll find tech issues.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:31 PM   #10
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:

This can’t be stressed enough… In this day in age the internet connects everyone in the blink of an eye. So, when one person has an issue out of the thousands of Camaros built, the whole Camaro community and your uncles best freind sees it and as most of us have now come accustom to, let the “panic de jour” begin…

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:36 PM   #11
JPAYORK

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
This can’t be stressed enough… In this day in age the internet connects everyone in the blink of an eye so when one person has an issue out of the thousands of Camaros built, the whole Camaro community and your uncl sees it and as most of us have now come accustom to, let the “panic de jour” begin…
No panic! Not the point of the thread. Guess I've just had a drink or two and voiced a concern. Not trying to start a pandemic of negativity. The only reason I brought it up was that multiple people have had similar issues from the original posters of the threads I mentioned. Some of which I find just shitty fit and finish. I just don't want to buy a car and have tons of isssues. I'm just looking for reassurance that the car is well built and will last to 150k miles with minimal issues.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:36 PM   #12
bigd1276
2017 HyperBlue 2SS

Drives: 2017 HyperBlue Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
This can’t be stressed enough… In this day in age the internet connects everyone in the blink of an eye so when one person has an issue out of the thousands of Camaros built, the whole Camaro community and your uncles best freind sees it and as most of us have now come accustom to, let the “panic de jour” begin…
I'll get the bricks

2010 IBM 2LT RS......Traded for.....
2012 IBM 2SS RS......Traded for.....
2017 HBM 2SS
bigd1276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:38 PM   #13
Rockies4

Drives: PT Cruiser 02
I believe this are just first year issues. And like most great guys on this forum, I believe when my Camaro gets here, these issues will be addressed.

I honestly believe there are so many good people working on the line to produce a Camaro that anyone would be proud to own.

These issues are normal and nothing really major. If you buy during the first year of production, these small things will come up. Relax and don't worry about them.

Rockies4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:41 PM   #14
sabrescamaro

Drives: TB SS and temporarily 2LTRS VR
The brick wall in my yard has a few loose bricks. I'm finding you But I think that number three already responded my thoughts to this thread.
sabrescamaro is offline   Reply With Quote