Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 05-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #99
Tara Martin
Loves Camaros

Drives: Red '79 Z28, '21 Red Hot M6 ZL-1!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Comfort View Post
So does HSA disengage the instant the handbrake is applied?
Yes, it disengaged immediately. I didn't notice if the DIC still displayed that HSA was engaged or not, but as soon as I clicked up on the E brake, it physically released and I was able to move away.

On a similar note, I like to middle finger salute my DIC when it wants me to skip shift to 4th; I usually throw in a raspberry for good effect, too. (Skip shift eliminator engaged!) I wish it was so easy for HSA, too...

Tara

Tara Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #100
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
I went to the same store today and parked in the same spot that I had my HSA engage last time so I purposely noted what I did when I pulled straight up a hill out of the spot.

Clutch in, Start car
Put car in first gear
HSA engages and message appeared on the dash.
With clutch still in I let off the brake and moved foot to the gas.
At the same time I depressed the gas and started to let the clutch out.
HSA instantly disengaged and I pulled away normally......

This is the same experience I had last time in the same spot......I honestly don't see any issue with my HSA as it turned off as soon as I stepped on the gas and it felt like I was on level ground.

-Matt
That is great news. Since I STILL am waiting for our car, I ask is it easy to tell when it engages, or is the message on the DIC the only clue you have it has engaged? I mean this seems like a great feature that would make things easier and reduce clutch slippage if your method is followed. I know my wife, who is not a familiar with driving a manual transmission is thinking it will help her.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #101
gajagfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara Martin View Post
Yes, it disengaged immediately. I didn't notice if the DIC still displayed that HSA was engaged or not, but as soon as I clicked up on the E brake, it physically released and I was able to move away.

On a similar note, I like to middle finger salute my DIC when it wants me to skip shift to 4th; I usually throw in a raspberry for good effect, too. (Skip shift eliminator engaged!) I wish it was so easy for HSA, too...

Tara
Still a bit in the dark having not ever experienced the HSA, nor the skip shift in these new Camaros, but I have to assume the skip shift functions much differently to the system found in the gen 4 WS-6 we just sold. I can remember very few times it ever came on, and that it was no big deal to overcome. When I felt it kick in, I simply went to fourth, and without taking my foot off the clutch, went to second or third (usually third) and took my foot off the clutch. In the case of the Pontiac, it would only engage with very mild take offs, and never engaged if you really got on it in first, so not a big deal. Interested to try it on the new car....hint hint GM.....send me our car!
Old 05-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #102
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
That is great news. Since I STILL am waiting for our car, I ask is it easy to tell when it engages, or is the message on the DIC the only clue you have it has engaged? I mean this seems like a great feature that would make things easier and reduce clutch slippage if your method is followed. I know my wife, who is not a familiar with driving a manual transmission is thinking it will help her.
It is pretty easy to tell as soon as you start to release the brake pedal as a manual car would typically roll/move, even for a second. When the HSA engages the car wont roll/move when you release the brake. I knew instantly it was on and then looked at the display noting it was activated.

For those that have driven a manual before it is odd to not have the car even roll a little when on an incline. If she is new to driving a stick this will be helpful for her.

Bottom line is if the clutch pedal is coming up the gas pedal should be going down...(and if clutch pedal is going down, gas pedal should be coming up) It should always be fluid motion at the same time....

-Matt
Old 05-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #103
gajagfan

Quote:
It is pretty easy to tell as soon as you start to release the brake pedal as a manual car would typically roll/move, even for a second. When the HSA engages the car wont roll/move when you release the brake. I knew instantly it was on and then looked at the display noting it was activated.

For those that have driven a manual before it is odd to not have the car even roll a little when on an incline. If she is new to driving a stick this will be helpful for her.

Bottom line is if the clutch pedal is coming up the gas pedal should be going down...(and if clutch pedal is going down, gas pedal should be coming up) It should always be fluid motion at the same time....

-Matt
I agree! So with that being said, it seems like this feature would make life easier, but yet all the hate for it! It is something I am really looking forward to trying.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #104
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
In all fairness, some reported it came on unexpectedly. One described waiting at an intersection, started to drive and had to make an abrupt stop. According to them, HSA engaged as they attempted to resume driving. Perhaps the hard stop upset the sensor that indicates the car is on a grade? A surprise like that would be unnerving if you are sitting in the middle of an intersection.
Next time out I will drive a little harsher and see if it behaves any differently. It may be a few days, so if anyone else cares to try this feel free to chime in.
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #105
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
I've been putting the brake handle up one click and no prob.
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #106
fgg60
Sweet Annie!! BRM

Drives: '13 2SS/RS 1LE BRM NPP CF5
Quote:

-Matt
I don't know about you, but most people who have driven a standard for a long time ( 30+ yrs for me!!) can start on a hill and never roll backwards , I know I can! only the steepest hills cause me to roll at all, so hill assist gets in the way for those of us experienced manual transmission folks. If your gonna buy a performance car like a 1LE than most people would probably already know how to drive a standard and "don't have no time for dat" useless nanny assist crap!!

just MHO!
Old 05-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #107
Buckeye
Buckeye

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgg60 View Post
I don't know about you, but most people who have driven a standard for a long time ( 30+ yrs for me!!) can start on a hill and never roll backwards , I know I can! only the steepest hills cause me to roll at all, so hill assist gets in the way for those of us experienced manual transmission folks. If your gonna buy a performance car like a 1LE than most people would probably already know how to drive a standard and "don't have no time for dat" useless nanny assist crap!!

just MHO!
Old 05-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #108
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgg60 View Post

just MHO!
Maybe I should have clarified. It's odd not to have complete control over the car if you are being lazy or just relaxed you can allow the car to roll a couple inches as you are adjusting the radio. Of course I can prevent it from rolling too with only 23 years of driving a manual. .

Either way it has done nothing funky weird or dangerous in my vehicle so it doesn't hinder anything I do.

You want to worry about nannies, you should be more concerned about onstar tracking your every move
Old 05-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #109
fgg60
Sweet Annie!! BRM

Drives: '13 2SS/RS 1LE BRM NPP CF5
Quote:
You want to worry about nannies, you should be more concerned about onstar tracking your every move

I hear you there!!!!!!!
Old 05-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #110
gajagfan

People hate change. I do not have my car yet, so I am speaking a bit out of school, but it seems HSA might cause us seasoned manual transmission drivers to adjust the way we have always driven to maximize this feature. If we do so, it seems like it may work just as well, or better. Just my two cents!
Old 05-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #111
Cody6.2

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
I can't believe what you guys are willing to do just to avoid HSA. It would almost seem as the avoidance tactics are more of a pain in the ass to me.
Cody6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #112
Michael2000

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
People hate change. I do not have my car yet, so I am speaking a bit out of school, but it seems HSA might cause us seasoned manual transmission drivers to adjust the way we have always driven to maximize this feature. If we do so, it seems like it may work just as well, or better. Just my two cents!
I don't hate change. In fact, I like change...for the better. I just hate things that are poorly engineered, don't work, and are not a help. In addition, if I want my cars to drive for me, I would get automatics. At the minimum, so called "helpers" should be user selectable.

I don't see the Corvette with this.

When I see stuff like this, and gauges you can't even see past the steering wheel or shifter, I have to wonder who is running the Camaro show over there. We're talking driving basics here.

Michael
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote