Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-20-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Story to share about KIDS and the Camaro

So, we all have experienced the sensation of being famous while driving our camaros. People taking pictures / video while your driving, coming out to find people driving around your car in the parking lot, coming out to find people stading around looking at your car ... the list really does go on and on ...

What I like and a good thing for Amarican car companys and hopefully GM specifically is the way young kids respond to the car. I know part of it is because of transformers and the current popularity (good marketing for sure).

When I pick my son up from daycare everyday, I drive by a small park that is down the street. Kids between the ages of 6 and 10 (or 12) are playing there (football etc) ... They constantly give me thumbs up and waves EVERY time I drive by. On occasion I fell like ROCKY as a few kids have actually come down to the sidewalk by the street as I am driving by .. running beside the car.

As I am driving anywhere there are sidewalks, kids are constantly waving, pointing, taking cell phone pics etc ...

I think that is great because kids will remember things like that (like I did with late 60's and early 70s firebirds ) .. It sparked interest again in domestic cars which will hopefully pay off when those kids grow up and can buy cars themselves ..

Crowley
Old 11-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
moto-camaro
CEO of the Internet

Drives: the Roflcopter
Send a message via AIM to moto-camaro Send a message via MSN to moto-camaro

Hopefully so indeed. I'm too young too remember the glory days, but i can tell you that some of the designs that GM has come out with in the past few years have definitely, no question asked, got my attention (Camaro definitely being one of them). This is the car that can help get the ball rolling, i look at the camaro and say "if they can build a car this good, they've gotta be doing the same for the rest of the line". i wouldn't think twice about owning another GM product.

This is one car that i'll never forget.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
Skyblu

Drives: 2010 Aqua blue 2SS/RS M6
I fell in love with the 69 Camaro that my brother had when I was 8, I loved riding in that car! In fact he has since passed away but he was the inspiration for me getting the car and the color I chose. I carry a picture of him on my visor. He also had a 70 corvette stingray that I liked too and remembered as a kid but the camaro is what stuck!
Skyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:10 PM   #4
MONTANACARGUY

Drives: CHEV TAHOE CHEV IMPALA 69' COUGAR
Hey cool story, I think we are planting the seed for the next generation to see and appreciate the new breed of muscle car..remember seeing them on the street,hearing that great exhaust note..thats why alot of us are purchasing the new Camaro.
MONTANACARGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:28 PM   #5
rmpackers
Ride this Chevy

Drives: 2010 RJT RS Camaro
Cute story. I had some of the neighborhood kids follow me in the garage one night. I let them all sit in it, you bet I'm trying to "sell" this car every chance I get. I don't want it to ever go away again!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-20-2009, 03:35 PM   #6
SQUALO

Drives: CHEVROLET
I totally agree, and I get the same reaction with my car. Even though I don't have Bumblebee's color combo, they associate the car & stripes. Today's kids are smarter than we give them credit for. I constantly get the thumbs up, and whenever possible I get kids coming up to me and saying "Nice Car" or "I love your car". I always say "Thank You" which puts such a smile on their face, as a sign of acknowledgment.

The new generation is growing and will be in place in no time at all
Old 11-20-2009, 11:05 PM   #7
QBert
Traction Control Hater

Drives: 1968 SS and 2010 SS
I have a 5 year old son who I take to and from school occasionally. The looks I like best are from the other dads with their kids who are getting into their mini van or other "compromise" car. They just look over with that look in their eyes that says "Damn, I wish the wife would have let me get that." Kids just love it.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:14 PM   #8
O2BQIK

Drives: 1991 Camaro RS
Crowley, I've thought the same thing. My car is a celebrity among the kids in my neighborhood. Though it didn't have the same universal appeal, when I was a kid I fell in love with the 3rd generation Camaro and here I am today with my fourth Camaro in my garage. These kids today will remember this car years from now and will buy these and their descendants in droves!
Old 11-20-2009, 11:55 PM   #9
98_Camaro

Drives: 2016 2SS Coupe
I wish I could do what some of you guys are doing. A smile on a child's face is one of the greatest things in the world...
Oh well. I got one reaction for my '98 one time. It was about 9:30 on a Friday night, and me and my dad were out, driving down a Blvd, and this kid (sounded about 12) told his friends with him "Look! I think that's a Camaro!!" Any other time, I'll get the occasional "Nice car," or "I love love LOVE this color!" (ironically when I'm not driving it... :().

Although, I do have to agree with Squalo- these kids are smarter than we give them credit for. If that one kid knew it was a Camaro even though it was nearly 11 years older, they're studying up on the car.
2016 Summit White 2SS Coupe M6, NPP, & MRC
Now Driving:
2016 Torch Red Corvette 2LT, NPP, MRC
98_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:07 AM   #10
chevyss
SS/RS

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM w/blk stripes A6
I agree with all above. I remember the 60s-70s and all the performance cars that came out. I had a few of them back then and to see the Camaro today is something special. I started watching the come back of the Camaro in 2005. When they said that GM was testing to see if the Camaro could be built again. I still remember when the last F-body came off the line. That was a sad day for many. We are so lucky that we still have people who are passionate about these cars. Since I took the car off the lot it's been crazy the way people (kids included) are drawn to the car. I live in a small town and drive the car around town alot. There are people around it all the time, asking questions about it. I had it out on Sat Oct 31 and the kids were calling the car the "Great American Pumpkin".
Attached Images

chevyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:58 AM   #11
boreas

Drives: 2LT/RS TFE yeah!
I've got a TFE Camaro so needless to say the neighborhood's kids are all waiving and pointing when I'm driving around. Last week, I went to pick up my youngest daughter at the daycare. I got mobbed by 4-5 year-olds boys trying to tell me how much they loved the Transformers, how many they had, how many times they saw the movies (gosh, at that age!?)...

At my Pharmacy, I had a few parents come in with the kids so they could tell me they loved my car, even though they didn't need anything. I even had one client who transferred his file from a competitor because he "saw this cool Camaro in the front so he had to come here"!!!

My wife likes to joke that she's releived my car is a kids magnet more than a chick magnet.

Phil
boreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:17 PM   #12
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
2 bus loads of school kids and our Camaro.

We decided to take a trip to Pigeon Forge today in the Camaro, On the way we came alongside 2 bus loads of school kids evidently on their way to a field trip. because of traffic we drove along side one or the other one for about 5 miles, and you should have seen all the kids plastered up against the windows waving and giving us the thumbs up... one time I backed off from the car in front of us and goosed it a little kicking into passing gear, the kids went crazy then... needless to say that experience made our day.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:23 PM   #13
d4rk1nz

Drives: 2010 CGM 1LT/RS
I think it has a lot to do with design and how the car was introduced. I say most of the kids around that age group, including me (19) got attracted to the Camaro because of the movie. I was completely clueless about the Camaros until 09. It was then that I saw one for the first time at the Auto show and it instantly reminded me of Bumblebee.

My guess...
Design targets young age group with "Concept look"

Marketing thanks to Transformers

Performance targeting car enthusiasts and Camaro enthusiasts.
d4rk1nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:29 PM   #14
mfr1950

Drives: 2011 challengerR/T , 2010 Ram R/T
Same thing happened to me at a gas station,Pulled up to the pump and the Chevy Equinox
next to me emptied out,Two small boys and three small girls all got their turn sitting in the drivers seat, their moms couldn't keep them in once I pulled up, lots of smiles all around !!!!
mfr1950 is offline   Reply With Quote