Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
SixCyl

Drives: 2010 Camaro CGM V6
3/8" Black ice, ported TB, catch can, and breather installed!

I made my drive up to USF from Tracy's shop after getting the 3/8" spacer, ported TB, catch can, and breather installed and WOW do I love it.

First let me say that Tracy and his staff are incredibly professional and easy going.Unfortunately the dyno wasn't up but my butt dyno registered better performance for sure! Maybe on one of my visits back here I'll take a day to dyno. Tracy had given me a discount because I was originally volunteering my car for dyno runs but even with no dyno he honored his price which I felt was unnecessary as I would have been happy to pay full price.

Install took about 2 hours from the time I rolled up to the time I rolled (peeled) out. It was all very straightforward, I was shown how my IM accumulates a rather large amount of oil considering it was cleaned only 1,000 miles ago. Interestingly my car did not give off a CEL after removing the TB, so one more reason to love her!

I haven't had a chance to take out and do city driving but right from the shop it pulled harder and and the throttle was like a hair trigger. I noticed that at 80 mph, the rpm needle is lower, where it before was right around 2,200 now just a hair line below 2,000. The car drives and accelerates smoother.

What impressed me the most, however, was my fuel consumption. I have a different post that talks about gas mileage with the roto-fab and I can say my mpg SHOT up.
After five minutes at driving at each speed this is what I got:
80 mph-25.5 mpg
75 mph-29.6 mpg
70 mph-32.4 mpg
65 mph-34.7 mpg (there was an uphill-ish portion that did not have a downhill to counteract so it may be a little higher but this is what I logged).
60 mph was messed up because of a sudden braking incident, but was holding steady at 37.4.

Here are some pictures from the install, and I will get a picture of the final product when I can, it's currently thundering outside. I enhanced the last one to show the oil that accumulates, grey=clean, brownish =oil.

EDIT: Added the final result picture to the bottom
Attached Images

El gato. Mods: Eagle eye headlights, 18" Axis Sport graphite, Roto-Fab cold air intake, Vmax ported TB, 3/8" Vmax Black-Ice, RX single valve catch can, RX breather, Pedders inserts, Trifecta tune, BBK LTH 304 SS.

art/ärt/Noun. Definition: 5th generation Camaro.

Last edited by SixCyl; 07-12-2012 at 04:16 PM.
SixCyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Very cool!

Looks like he port matched the inlets on your head too...is that correct?
Old 07-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
SixCyl

Not that I recall, I was working remotely and was neck deep in business class but to my memory the spacer just went on, no port matching. I thought about it but I feel that it would be grounds for a voided warranty.

Edit: I'm almost sure he didn't, I think I would have noticed a grinding noise or shop vac! lol
El gato. Mods: Eagle eye headlights, 18" Axis Sport graphite, Roto-Fab cold air intake, Vmax ported TB, 3/8" Vmax Black-Ice, RX single valve catch can, RX breather, Pedders inserts, Trifecta tune, BBK LTH 304 SS.

Last edited by SixCyl; 07-11-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
SixCyl

One question. What did you guys do with the clear drainage hose? I just looped it around the brace and used a velcro zip tie for now.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
blackTT600

Drives: 2011 2LT M6 SC
you mean the drain hose for the catch can? i just have it hanging down
blackTT600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
There are some holes in the inner fender wells if you wanna stick it in there to prevent it from hitting/rubbing/getting hot on other stuff.

That's where I put all of em.
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #7
SixCyl

Alright these are the things I ended up doing. I went with the second picture, I put a vlecro zip tie on the the brace of the catch can.
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #8
Chang

Drives: 2010 Camaro V6 LLT Rally Yellow
very nice write up.
my vmax TB, ported IM, black ice-olator, plenum spacer is on their way to here.
So bad i live too far away from FL, otherwise i could have a Supercharger installed by Tracy as well.
Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #9
SixCyl

Does the plenum spacer have any benefit when using premium gas?

Old 07-12-2012, 11:40 PM   #10
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 and proud View Post
Tracy said they saw little to no improvements of I am correct. But really it could never hurt to have one.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:55 AM   #11
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 and proud View Post
I believe it does, my butt dyno felt that the air flow was directed into the cylinders more efficiently and fluently from when I just had the 25mm on
Old 07-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
SixCyl

So my mpg's have dropped to about pre-mod levels; a little higher, 1.5 mpg or so. However, my car threatened to slam me into the neighbor's mailbox when I accelerated. I'm guessing the ECU had to adjust?

Old 07-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #13
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
I cut my drainage hose to my catch can so that it was a lot shorter and easier to drain.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #14
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Congrats on the upgrade. You can't go wrong with that package. Tracy has come up with a killer set up for the V6.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black ice, catch can, gas mileage, ported throttle body, vmax insulator