Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-28-2009, 08:29 AM   #1
GM4lyfe
A GM nut-swinger!

Drives: A Car
My theory about the Z/28

Didn't want to turn the other thread off topic: "What we want to see in and on the Z/28". Most people in that thread had some pretty good ideas what we would like to see the Z/28 hit the showrooms with. Most had alot of throwback ideas.

I hate to sound like Buzz Killjoy here, but do to GM financial situation, and needing to make money we may see a lot of "off the shelf" parts in/on the Z/28 if it comes out. Also to keep the cost down and make it affordable/compete with the competition. GM CEO hopes to break even by the middle of next year so hopefully more development takes place after that.

Models: We may see 1Z/28 and 2Z/28 options that mirror the current SS models
Price: We might see a $10-$15K price jump from the fully loaded SS.
Engine: LSA it is a proven engine that has enough power to compete with the competition. IF GM is developing a new engine it will be another one to two years before we see a Z/28
Suspension: GM may stuff the uplevel FE3 suspension or the CTS-V's Magnetic Ride Control w/Magnetic controled shocks. Also may equip it with the driver selectable stability/ride control of the Corvette/CTS-V. IF GM develops the upgradable suspension for the SS it may become standard on the Z/28
Brakes: Brembo, the GXP, SS, and CTS-V has them. The Z/28 may have larger cross drilled or slotted rotors.
Transmission: TR-6060 and the 6L90-E
Other: We may see some nice powered Recaro seats, Pilot Sport tires/Runcraps, 15/20 MPG, Launch Control stays, Body upgrades, hopefully more OEM aftermarket from GM.

GM4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
RSHugger

Drives: 1969 RS Camaro
Agree... the more off the shelf parts they can pull into a "Z" car the quicker we will see the car and the more likely it is to get past the accountants. Looking forward to hearing more on the Z as we move forward. Had my first chance to drive the car (3 day AVIS rental, yes it was an SS) and get goosebumps just thinking what a Z would be like to drive!

Roger
RSHugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
why wouldn't they use off the shelf parts, with the high performance cars they have? i don't see a lot changing other than the engine. It's still going to have 20 inch wheels. The suspension will be stiffer, but it's not like they need special parts for that. I don't see a 1Z28 and a 2Z28. I think it'll come loaded , mostly, with just a couple options.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
ironpeddler

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
I thought no matter what engine is in the Z28 it was already going to be almost 2 yrs. before we see a Z28?
ironpeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I agree with your theory...pretty solid logic!

Just a couple notes of interest:
Engine: I doubt that they'll be developing an all new engine, like you. But it's not impossible that they would modify one for this specific application, (ala L99/LS3).
Suspension: The SS is already equipped with FE3, and the magnetic ride control and driver-selectable ride control is one in the same. More than anything else, I want to see this system in the car.
Other: If Ford can get the GT500 a rating of 16/22...dang it if Chevy can't at least match that.

I really don't care what it is...so long as the price is right, I'm just overjoyed that the Z is coming back!!
Old 09-28-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
GM4lyfe
A GM nut-swinger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azfan View Post
why wouldn't they use off the shelf parts, with the high performance cars they have? i don't see a lot changing other than the engine. It's still going to have 20 inch wheels. The suspension will be stiffer, but it's not like they need special parts for that. I don't see a 1Z28 and a 2Z28. I think it'll come loaded , mostly, with just a couple options.
The point is I don't think that GM will develop:suspension, brakes, tranny, engine for a Z/28. Like they did with the ZR1, CTS-V, ect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpeddler View Post
I thought no matter what engine is in the Z28 it was already going to be almost 2 yrs. before we see a Z28?
Nobody knows, that was my guess. GM engine R&D takes time, no more crap engines. They can't help if they get crap from parts from an outsorced company.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I agree with your theory...pretty solid logic!

Just a couple notes of interest:
Engine: I doubt that they'll be developing an all new engine, like you. But it's not impossible that they would modify one for this specific application, (ala L99/LS3).
Suspension: The SS is already equipped with FE3, and the magnetic ride control and driver-selectable ride control is one in the same. More than anything else, I want to see this system in the car.
Other: If Ford can get the GT500 a rating of 16/22...dang it if Chevy can't at least match that.

I really don't care what it is...so long as the price is right, I'm just overjoyed that the Z is coming back!!
I was not for shure about the FE3 but I think it will be something stiffer and more technical than the SS. I take info from Mags with a grain of salt but they are saying the SS does not handle very well.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:09 PM   #7
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4lyfe View Post
I take info from Mags with a grain of salt but they are saying the SS does not handle very well.
Depends on what you are talking about by handling.... Are you talking about just cruising the streets or are you talking about pushing it through a apex at a furious pace?
If your talking about the track, Its nothing that a little suspension work cant cure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Now you are on my turf. When we are done Pedderising your car you'll be able to hit apexes with a 2010 Camaro that feels 1,000 pounds lighter. The car will track and turn-in at levels that will radically alter your opinion. The difference in perspective is that I have already driven a dialed in 5th Gen. We have to get you into a fully Pedderised 5th Gen.

Last edited by ShnOmac; 09-28-2009 at 03:02 PM.
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:44 PM   #8
GM4lyfe
A GM nut-swinger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnomac77 View Post
Depends on what you are talking about by handling.... Are you talking about just cruising the streets or are you talking about pushing it through a apex at a furious pace?
If your talking about the track, Its nothing that a little suspension work cant cure!
I'm pretty sure it can hold its own on the streets. I guess if pushed you can tell. True alittle money in the suspension can go along way. Hopefull GM will hook the Camaro up from the factory.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:22 PM   #9
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
I'm sure Pedders was involved in the Z/28 suspension.
And that makes me happy!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:58 PM   #10
GM4lyfe
A GM nut-swinger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
And that makes me happy!
Hope so. We'll see...
Old 09-29-2009, 03:40 PM   #11
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4lyfe View Post
Price: We might see a $10-$15K price jump from the fully loaded SS.
I have no theories about the Z28 yet, except regarding the piece I quote above. I think if GM goes that high in price it will be a disaster. Not saying they won't do it, just that it won't sell in high enough volumes to justify the line.

I think if the base model goes above high-30's to low-40's, they will be in trouble. Performance in the $30-$35k range is an empty field. Performance in the $50k+ range is packed, in some cases by other GM cars.
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:42 PM   #12
Fandango
(In Z/28 Therapy)

Drives: 2014 SS Camaro (Sookie)
Send a message via AIM to Fandango
What I want to know is... when do we see some pre-pros hit the street and get some spy shots of this beast. Secondly, will GM have a Concept or Push car for car shows in the following year.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:43 PM   #13
Fandango
(In Z/28 Therapy)

Drives: 2014 SS Camaro (Sookie)
Send a message via AIM to Fandango
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
I have no theories about the Z28 yet, except regarding the piece I quote above. I think if GM goes that high in price it will be a disaster. Not saying they won't do it, just that it won't sell in high enough volumes to justify the line.

I think if the base model goes above high-30's to low-40's, they will be in trouble. Performance in the $30-$35k range is an empty field. Performance in the $50k+ range is packed, in some cases by other GM cars.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:39 PM   #14
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
And that makes me happy!
I sure hope so
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote